Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New van - poor stability

Views : 1941

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2019, 23:05   #11
gmonag
Premier Member

I cannot believe that an 85kg load on the towbar can make the front end go light or give that impression. The car has a kerb weight of 2.2t, most of it at the front.

The Nivomats are very reliable. Measure the ride height at the rear wheels after driving solo, then after driving with the van hitched (It takes a few minutes for the ride height to adjust each time).

The problem lies with the caravan I'm sure.
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 23:21   #12
moncman

Good idea Paddy but I traded-in to buy the new one. Other options include hiring a towcar for a day - Disco 4 rental is around £100. Much less than a suspension rebuild.

Last edited by moncman; Aug 17th, 2019 at 23:27.
moncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 23:26   #13
moncman

I think I agree the problem is not at the back. Outfit is completely level after towing a short distance. I've heard Nivomats are very reliable but regular Volvo shocks can go 'stiff'. Could it be the front end that's not reacting fast enough to the towing motion. Boge/Sachs/Bilstein front shocks are fairly reasonable at about £100 a side. Might also explain the harsh ride solo?
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 09:00   #14
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Fuel makes a difference of max 65kg, or the equivalent of one extra person in the back seat.
Try the following: weigh the fully loaded vehicle and caravan at a weighstation, getting weight on each axle.

Get a person to stand in the front, middle and rear of the caravan and note the difference on the front wheel weights of the car

Also, check the suspension at a suspension testing facility.
Where I live this is part of the MOT test and in checks shock absorber effectiveness.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 10:04   #15
dhr90

Were your previous vans twin or single axle? Does the new van have an island bed or kitchen or bathroom at the back unlike previous vans at all? Could be the internal layout of van is affecting the outfit stability too.
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 15:38   #16
moncman

Hi, the previous vans were pretty similar, single axle 6 berth with bunks at the back. Loading will be about the same and I always carry the heavy stuff in the car apart from the gazebo which although quite heavy I always lay on the floor over the axle.

Only difference that I have thought about is the previous vans were old school with torsion style suspension whilst this one has shock absorbers. Could that be the cause of an increase in see-sawing around the axle fulcrum?

I'm taking it out later with 90kgs nose weight which is what it naturally has when in running order with gas bottles and normal kit in the front locker and I'll put a full aqua roll and waster master (80kgs or so) across the axle for ballast. No bikes or additional holiday kit.

If it's not stable in that condition I'm struggling for where to look next.
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 20:20   #17
moncman

Default Sorted!!!

Thanks for all the inputs and ideas guys.

In the end the remarkably simple solution was - tyre pressures.

Took the van out and went via Sainsbury's to check the pressures. Mrs Moncman had found a few posts on forums reporting similar crap handling due to under inflated tyres. In many cases with new vans that had been through PDI. I picked mine up 3 weeks before our trip to France and didn't have time for a practise run out. Dealer signed the PDI with ticks in all the boxes included tyre pressures - 65psi. Found out today they were at 54.

Anyway - towing like a dream now even with the bikes back on and little internal ballast. The van is naturally nose heavy probably owing to all the fancy kit under the front bunks - motor mover module, wet central heating, alarm, on board water tank etc etc. Putting stuff aft of the axle is the only way of getting the nose weight the right side of 100kgs.

Anyway thanks again. I've added a pic of the rig from this evenings run.image.jpg

Last edited by moncman; Aug 18th, 2019 at 20:36.
The Following User Says Thank You to moncman For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 20:37   #18
moncman

And here's another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (63.0 KB, 30 views)
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 22:42   #19
Dastardly Diesel

What exactly are XL tyres, and how do they differ from the standard rubber?
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2019, 22:55   #20
moncman

XL = Extra Load.

I think the standard tyres for the XC90 have a 103 load rating whereas my XL Goodyears are a 107. In simple speak each tyre can handle approx 100kgs more or 200kgs across the axle. Both versions exceed the maximum permitted load on both front and rear axles but the extra margin is useful when towing.

In very simple terms the XL tyre will have reinforced sidewalls. On the downside they are a little harsh if inflated to eco setting (39psi) and the car is empty.