Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Potential s40 buyer - advice please

Views : 654

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2020, 14:26   #11
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sts40 View Post
Bought my S40 recently... previously had Volvos S80, S40 T5 and an S40 1.6 petrol.

Mine is the 1.6 diesel DRIVe. I did a lot of research and in hindsight for the diesel should have got the Volvo 5 cylinder diesel.:
Honestly, I can't rave enough about the Volvo 5/6 cylinder engines (or even the old 4 cylinder engines). They just seem so substantial in design. I recall one of the experienced members here (Clan) saying that Volvo's 3.0-litre 305bhp Turbo engine 'doesn't really have any issues'. Now compare that to the BMW 3.0-litre turbo engine and it has a whole article dedicated to the 8 most common issues it suffers:
The 8 Most Common BMW N54 Engine Problems – Common Failures and Performance Issues

Volvo just seem to have a different ethos when it comes to engine reliability. My S40 T5 has over 150,000 miles on it, and it fires up immediately and basically sounds brand new. Same with my S60 2.0T before that. The engines just seem to come from a time where cost cutting wasn't really a thing. Sure the MPG is hideous, but the reliability justifies the awful MPG.

I also find it extremely intriguing how (in the era of mass downsizing) Volvo threw away the 120bhp Ford 1.6-litre ecoboost engine used in the V40 hatchback (branded 'T2') and replaced it with their own 2.0-litre turbo engine, that produces just 122bhp.
That's a 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine, that produces 122bhp. For comparison, Ford's 1.0-litre ecoboost produces 140bhp.

Volvo can be so wierd at times...but needless to say I would expect that 2.0-litre turbo to last 30 years given the astonishingly low power output.

Last edited by T5R92011; Jul 14th, 2020 at 14:29.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 14:28   #12
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elninio1999 View Post
Assuming decent maintenance has been carried out, what sort of mileage are the petrols good for before you venture into unknown and gambling territory? I'd expect the diesel would run far further but that's probably not a factor after purchase for me. More a case of what mileage a should I be avoiding at purchase stage.
I'm 90% sure that the 1.8 and 2.0 4cyl petrols are Mazda derived units and a chain driven so are likely to last for a pretty brave milage.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 14:38   #13
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
I'm 90% sure that the 1.8 and 2.0 4cyl petrols are Mazda derived units and a chain driven so are likely to last for a pretty brave milage.
Yeah they are Mazda design borrowed by Ford.

They are the cheapest engines to run in these cars because as Iainmd says, there is no timing belt to change. They have thick timing chain that should last the life of the vehicle, and everything else e.g oil filter, sparkplugs are very easy to access.
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 15:32   #14
Welton
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Honestly, I can't rave enough about the Volvo 5/6 cylinder engines
To be fair, the Engine and Getrag M66 gearbox in my car have been utterly faultless, in fact that's the reason I've kept the car for far longer than anything else I've owned, there's never any 'Check Engine' lights on the dash and as T5R says my 15 year old engine still sounds new.

To me; having a 2005 car for so long has now become a bit of a adventure and I'm enjoying the almost 'free' motoring and still being able to out accelerate new German Diesel saloons.......quite amusing.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 16:16   #15
Sts40

My understanding is the 1.6d is fairly reliable if it’s looked after... correct oil, servicing and kept clean, it’s the wet DPF that’s the biggest issue... after 92k miles now the car starts and runs sweet... just don’t understand why such an underpowered car 1.6d was doing 50mpg?! But with the remap it’s so much nicer to drive... pulls lovely now..

With all the different components you don’t quite know what your getting these days...

My old s80 2.4 petrol had a Renault gearbox My partner’s car, Infiniti Q30 is a perky combination of Merc GLA, Merc A class, Nissan and Renault 1.5 d engine and box.
Sts40 is offline   Reply With Quote