Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MK1 C70 - Roof Problem, kind of works

Views : 682

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2020, 14:45   #1
Lee2246

Default MK1 C70 - Roof Problem, kind of works

Hi Guys,

The roof on my C70 is playing up, it'll open almost all the way but for some reason just can't quite finish the sequence (the parcel shelf part, not sure on its proper name ha, is raised slightly and the square flaps on the sides are also slightly raised, say about half an inch), then when I close the roof it closes fine but the windows don't come back up. Then when driving you get the bonging sound and the LED flashes on the switch.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but it bongs 3 times then there's a long pause between the next bongs. However if someone sits it the passenger seat it just bongs continuously?

Side note, the car has been stood for a few years without use.

I believe this is dealer only to read the roof codes, so before I have to take the car to the main dealer to have any codes read (and my pants pulled down for the privileged) is there anything obvious to look at first?

Thanks,
Lee

Last edited by Lee2246; Jul 13th, 2020 at 15:03.
Lee2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee2246 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 12:20   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

You can read the roof codes and clear them with VIDA. VIDA also has a very good description of how the roof works and how to diagnose problems, you can also read sensor and switch status. Replacing microswitches etc. is relatively easy but if you need to replace any of the potentiometers then then roof module needs to be re-programmed and for this you need the old Volvo VST2000 scan tool - it can't be done with VIDA.

Not sure how many dealers will still have these?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 20:01   #3
BlueStag

Apologies for jumping on the thread - are all the windows supposed to drop when raising or lowering the roof?

My 2004 Mk1 roof lowers OK (except for the side pieces that are usually 20mm short of flush), raises without a problem but the window glass (in both cases) doesn’t move a fraction. Is this normal?

Thanks

Steve
BlueStag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 20:10   #4
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStag View Post
Apologies for jumping on the thread - are all the windows supposed to drop when raising or lowering the roof?

My 2004 Mk1 roof lowers OK (except for the side pieces that are usually 20mm short of flush), raises without a problem but the window glass (in both cases) doesn’t move a fraction. Is this normal?

Thanks

Steve
When opening the roof the first thing that should happen is all four windows drop simultaneously about 20 - 30mm, then the last thing is the windows rise to the closed position before the 'bong' sounds. Same with closing the roof, first and last operation.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 07:54   #5
BlueStag

Thanks ITSv40.

My roof doesn’t “bong” when fully closed, there’s just a click. Could the windows not dropping and lack of “bong” be related? However, given the complexities (cost) of sorting the roof out, should I just live with it?

Steve
BlueStag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2020, 06:59   #6
walshy

I had similar with the one I had a couple of years ago. Took it to a guy I always use to service my convertible roofs when I own one. Issue on mine was the mechanism had jumped just slightly and that was enough to knock everything out of line.
All he did was just readjust it and it worked fine for the duration that I owned it.
His advice to me with any convertible I buy with roof issues is first port of call to change the battery and 9 times out of 10 it works.
walshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 11:20   #7
Lee2246

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply's, managed to get the roof sorted.

Ended up taking the car to a company called Hoodtech in Warrington. He managed to diagnose the fault. Basically, for an unknown reason, parts of the mechanism had moved, so was catching where it shouldn't be and so not closing / operating correctly. Few tweaks of the mechanism and a lot of lube (car had been stud for 5 years) and the roofs now working perfectly (and faster). Best of all no bongs now when you're driving .

Would definitely recommend this guy at Hoodtech (Charlie) if anyone has any issues.

Last edited by Lee2246; Jul 20th, 2020 at 11:52.
Lee2246 is offline   Reply With Quote