Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Low Power / Clacking Injectors

Views : 443

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2020, 15:48   #1
Stellaman94

Default Engine Low Power / Clacking Injectors

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums, I currently own an 07' Volvo 2.4D D5 SE Euro 4. In Auto

Lovely car, enjoying it more than my previous E46 320d, which unfortunately the gearbox blew up in it.

Currently the car is suffering poor power delivery, when I put my foot down, it is gutless. Now again when I start the car, within the first 5 minutes or so the car will have full power and its lovely but then it pretty much cuts all power and your better off riding a bicycle.

I've checked all hoses and vac lines which all seem to be fine, I've cleaned out the intake and the egr which had a fair bit of gunk in it, the stepper motor on the EGR recently burnt out which threw an error up on the dash, I recently replaced this and all was good, however it didn't solve the power issue. I had the dreaded swirl arm issue but managed to repair it with some metal wire, its still holding but I check it now and again, so far so good.

I have some issue with the injectors however, when the engine idles, instead of your typical diesel sound, it goes clack clack clack, I replaced 3 of the injectors which were out of tolerance, this was cylinder 1,3 and 5 all with new washers and clamps but still have the noise. The car starts on the key first time and never stalls. A part of me think the power issue is related to this. When I first got the car it made said noise but always had full power but just recently the cars been going down hill.

Edit: forgot to mention I recently changed the throttle body on the end of the EGR as the car use to rev up to 1500rpm and pull you along as if cruise was on, there was also a huge throttle delay and sometimes the pedal wouldn't respond at all.

Just a bit disappointed I can't enjoy 185HP worth of car.

Last edited by Stellaman94; Jul 13th, 2020 at 15:54.
Stellaman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 17:10   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Has it had any kind of code read recently, ideally with Vida?
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 18:30   #3
Stellaman94

I know someone with a snap on and have had it read from that, it had an EGR fault which was the position sensor, accelerator pedal sensor fault (knackered throttle body) . Injector cylinder 1 and a cam sensor fault. All work relating to said codes has been corrected and the codes never reappeared, only the cam sensor fault appears for an unknown reason I can't remember the fault code specifically off the top of my head. But I'll try and get the codes re read on a snap on, I only have a basic reader at home and it doesn't display any faults, I do have a video of my car making that noise but have no idea on how to upload.
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 20:25   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Just upload the video to YouTube and provide the link.

I would strongly recommend hooking up with Vida.
You'll get the Volvo code along with explanations of the possible causes and fixes plus it contains the workshop manual and lots of technical data to help with troubleshooting.
It pays for itself during your ownership then you sell it on and recoup most of your money when you're done.
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 23:33   #5
Stellaman94

I've done various work my self with cars so I'm quite understanding, VIDAs like INPA and VAGCOM isn't it?

I will strip the EGR again as Ive only cleaned it while it was still attached to the car.

Here's the video of the injector noise, the camera doesn't do it justice, it is very audible.

I'll repost the codes if I get ahold of that snap-on machine again or a copy of that VIDA software.

https://youtu.be/Nvxn4H8RiWk
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 08:05   #6
Longhouse21
Master Member

VIDA is more like VAGCOM & ElsaWin combined. It has the diagnostics, repair instructions, parts catalogue and a few other bits in one package.
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 13:12   #7
Stellaman94

There is one code I forgot mention which only seems to show up on the snap on.

4405 EGR intermittent

Now I did say before I only cleaned out the main valve and not the cooler, I have looked up on here about thorough cleaning but some have not had any luck in clearing the code.