Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Safety recall for fire risk

Views : 85258

Replies : 468

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2020, 21:32   #441
sanscorp

Had a dtc yesterday, car is my mothers now, she was on the highway near a volvo dealer.

So turned arround and had them take a look.
Did the "manifold fire modification" (I have no idea what they did, wouldn't tell me) and supposedly cleaned (saw them use compressed air) the emap pipe. They adviced to have the pipe replaced but did not tell anything about why and when and even if itnis part of the recall.

They dtc's were reset, but back today.
I have MAF implausinle signal (low) so suspect EGR valve.

Is there any more info on the recall(s)?
I am seriously considering to clean out egr, emap pipe, banjo and intake myself as far as possible.

It's a 2015 d4 2.0 with 200.000 km's on the clock, no warrenty, I do the services myself.

I am an amature, do own repairs on my own cars for fun, money and expertize (have had way too many bad experiences with dealers, experts and others, most of the time it is my own confidence that's in the way, not knowledge and skill)

For example, last DTC on the Volvo they gave me a printout with a DTC and picture of a EGT sensor and told me they had to replace the lambda! It was useless to argue with them and I finally tested the EGT with nothing more then a multimeter, replaced it myself, bought a clone VIDA and the car has done 20.000 km's without problems till now.

I am not very familiar with the Volvo, so any help or advise would be welcome!
sanscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 08:37   #442
Zebster
Upstanding Member

When my EGR valve stuck open it caused a 'MAF low' DTC.

'Manifold fire risk' recall involved a software update, a physical deformation check of the manifold and cleaning of the EMAP and TMAP sensors. Plus further actions (including compression test and swirl valve/manifold replacement) if certain indicators are found.
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 01:37   #443
ayrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Nope, nothing yet.

What causes the intake manifold to become hotter than expected and actually melt?
In case that you intake valves might become leaky and won’t close properly anymore, hot gases will be bloen back to the intake manifold which cause the high temperatures. But if you reach that point already, the engine has to be reworked (dismount cylinder head, clean intake valves and seats and so on) anyway which could cost a lot of money if you don’t have warranty anymore (as in my case). Volvo is not willing to pay for it even it’s their fault that the factory based software isn’t working properly.

The new software what will be applied as a part of the recall has the capability to detect the leakage and the engine light will come up.

I hope your engines will be fine guys.

Good luck
ayrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 01:45   #444
ayrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
When my EGR valve stuck open it caused a 'MAF low' DTC.

'Manifold fire risk' recall involved a software update, a physical deformation check of the manifold and cleaning of the EMAP and TMAP sensors. Plus further actions (including compression test and swirl valve/manifold replacement) if certain indicators are found.
On Friday I performed a compression check on my engine and cylinder 2 had 8 bar less compression than the other cylinders (arround 29bar).

Volvo sweden doesn’t wanna help too and now I got to use the internet to fight againts them.

I’m going to fix the issue by myself. Volvo won’t earn even 1 penny from me

If anyone is interested to the see borescope videos, check that link

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...0MTbbSipM6uiZ4

Last edited by ayrix; Jul 12th, 2020 at 01:49.
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 16:50   #445
Buckshot61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrix View Post
On Friday I performed a compression check on my engine and cylinder 2 had 8 bar less compression than the other cylinders (arround 29bar).

Volvo sweden doesn’t wanna help too and now I got to use the internet to fight againts them.

I’m going to fix the issue by myself. Volvo won’t earn even 1 penny from me

If anyone is interested to the see borescope videos, check that link

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...0MTbbSipM6uiZ4
That link is dead
Buckshot61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buckshot61 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2020, 09:41   #446
ayrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot61 View Post
That link is dead
Sorry for some reason the forum shortens the link after posting why it’s not working. I’ll write it partially and you will have to attach the link manually afterwards

drive.google.com/drive/folders/
17MeZ-KCYrZXf
uKfhPA0M
TbbSip
M6uiZ4

Last edited by ayrix; Jul 18th, 2020 at 09:50.
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 23:13   #447
sequentialogic

My '16 V60 D4 has been in due to an stutter and poor economy, caused by a stuck EGR value and a blocked EMAP pipe. From the other responses in this thread it sounds quite common for 4 year old D4 engines. The dealership claim it's not common and only the EGR cooler has problems, however volvo have offered a goodwill contribution, but not for all issues.
sequentialogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 10:56   #448
Craig S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequentialogic View Post
My '16 V60 D4 has been in due to an stutter and poor economy, caused by a stuck EGR value and a blocked EMAP pipe. From the other responses in this thread it sounds quite common for 4 year old D4 engines. The dealership claim it's not common and only the EGR cooler has problems, however volvo have offered a goodwill contribution, but not for all issues.
Out of interest, what level of goodwill contribution have they made? My 2015 D4 has started with a stutter just in the last week or so. Guessing its the EGR (AGAIN!!!!!!) despite having the whole EGR Cooler issue less than 2 years ago. My car had the fire recall issue dealt with at the last service.

Just wondering whether there is a correlation between the fire recall software update and EGR's starting to clog up.
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 16:40   #449
Sideway man

Thumbs up

Hi all. Took my v40 d4 in for the 29948 recall yesterday, which was running with no issues. All it required was the software update (thats all dealer said), but on driving home the car was way more responsive, I mean like driving a different car! I’d say absolute acceleration was the same, but part throttle low revs is night and day from before. Yes I’m happy!
Sideway man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 12:34   #450
rafikield

Hi,

I was contacted by local Volvo service representative here in Serbia, regarding recall for inlet manifold issue on my MY16 XC60 D4.
He told me there is recall for my vehicle, consisting from some pipe/tubes replacement and SW update. Goal is to prevent exhaust fumes going back into inlet manifold through inlet valves. But, there is a catch: if inlet valves are already dirty with soot, then there is a high possibility that after recall work, problem with develop even faster, and that I may need expensive engine rebuild. Volvo will NOT cover expenses related to that rebuild. And of course, there is no way to determine amount of soot contamination before recall work.
Basically, I'm facing two options:
1. Not to take recall, facing possible meltdown of inlet manifold
2. Take recall, and then get broken engine that need quite repair

I was wondering, if anyone is aware of any way to check inlet valves, how much dirty with soot are they, and to check if I already may have a issue with exhaust fumes going back into inlet manifold?
If I do pressure check, what values are considered OK? My car are exactly 5 years old, and are just shy of 60000 miles.

BR
rafikield is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
egr problems, v60 d4