Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Keyless Entry Issues

Views : 4648

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2016, 10:43   #1
Bloke

Default Keyless Entry Issues

Yesterday I had 'Key removed from vehicle' message appear a couple of times while in the car, I then parked up. When I came back the car wouldn't open at the drivers door (either using the handle or pressing the button on the remote), whilst getting slightly worried I was going to be stranded I remembered reading about the different sensor locations so I went around the car and it opened with the front passenger door handle. The car would then only start with the key inserted into the dash.

Thinking the battery must be gone in the remote I drove home to get the spare - I tried locking with the usual remote when I got there with no joy, but when I got the spare it locked first time on the passenger side.

This morning I went to get in the car with the spare key but it would only open by pressing the button on the remote and only started when I waved the key around the dash key slot.

I've got to work and tried locking/unlocking at all doors and boot using keyless with no joy - fortunately it seems ok using the button on the fob.

Dealership can't fit me in until next Thursday so just wondering/worrying if using the button on the fob is a different system or if I'm likely to be stranded not being able to lock/unlock the car? I'm going to order some spare batteries anyway as the original key seemed to struggle even using the button on the fob.

Any ideas on what the issue might be? I've read a few posts on here but they all seem to be just a problem with one door where this seems to be all of them.

Paul.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 15:02   #2
NigelDay
Premier Member

Mine shows similar behaviour from time to time. No pattern. Some suggested the transmitter might be affect by mobile phone EMF, others suggested the battery might be the cause, despite the fact the car is 'new'. I will get some spare batteries, but this is on the to-do list.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 16:09   #3
St James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke View Post
This morning I went to get in the car with the spare key but it would only open by pressing the button on the remote and only started when I waved the key around the dash key slot.

I've got to work and tried locking/unlocking at all doors and boot using keyless with no joy - fortunately it seems ok using the button on the fob.
The dealership might need to 'calibrate' the spare key to the keyless system in the car.

Mine went in for a service in December and came out without the keyless working (despite same key being used).

Rang them up and they said to pop in - told me it hadn't been calibrated again when they'd done the service (which included the usual software updates that had obviously affected the keyless).

Might be that.

J
2010 (10) Skoda Octavia vRS CR170 DSG
St James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2016, 10:17   #4
Bloke

Just an update in case anyone has similar issues in future...

Car went in last Thursday, they said they'd updated the software and everything was ok. Opened fine when I picked it up but wouldn't lock easily when I got home and also came up with a key removed from vehicle message on the way.

Car went in again yesterday (Tuesday) and there was a 'bulletin' about the issue and the module in the roof-lining was replaced. Everything ok so far so fingers crossed it's fixed although not sure why they didn't see this bulletin last week!

In the middle of all this I had experience of Volvo assist...

I called the dealership at 8am Friday morning explaining the issue wasn't fixed and that I was driving down to London at lunchtime for the weekend and was concerned about the car - they couldn't help but said to just ring Volvo assist and they would recover the car to the dealer and provide a hire car.

After being on hold for 20minutes I got through to VA and explained the issue and what the dealer said. They refused to provide a car until an engineer had been out (even though likelihood of him being able to fix it is negligible) so arranged for the engineer to come. I explained that I had to leave no later than 11:30 to get to London. Engineer arrives at 11am, tries the doors and can't get in, says straight off that if the dealership couldn't fix it he has no chance.

He arranges for the hire car (I again explain about needing to leave) he was actually really nice and said he had no idea how long it might be but to call VA again and they would be able to let me know - he also said the hire car could be anything even though I had to fit 2 kids seats and luggage in.

Called VA (another 20min wait) explained again and said I was worried about time running out to get a car - they said they'd chase it as a priority and promised to get back to me within 30mins.

30mins comes and goes (as does 11:30!) and no call so I end up driving in my own car and spending another 20mins on hold to cancel the hire car.

All in all not that impressed - also slightly worrying that you need to be on hold for so long to speak to someone when you could be in the middle of nowhere with little phone charge etc.

Anyway, rant over!

Paul.
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 15:48   #5
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Mine shows similar behaviour from time to time. No pattern. Some suggested the transmitter might be affect by mobile phone EMF, others suggested the battery might be the cause, despite the fact the car is 'new'. I will get some spare batteries, but this is on the to-do list.
Just a brief update. I was getting 'car key not found' and a slow remote key fob opening response, so finally got round to ordering two sets of new batteries. Result !

I checked the open cell voltages of the four ex-factory batteries (car manufactured May 2015, one key used regularly, one key never used).

Old cells: 3.04v 3.05v 3.02v 3.03v (CR2430 Sony brand)
New cells: 3.20v 3.21v 3.21v 3.22v (CR2430 Duracell brand, expiry date 2024)

The key(s) now work as they should. Doors open, boot opens, keyless works.
It's disappointing that the factory-fit batteries must have been old stock. As the expiry date of 'new' batteries is (at least) 8 years from manufacture, it does suggest Volvo purchased a very large number of them rather a long time ago.

So, for anyone having key problem, replace the batteries. Only a few quid from eBay.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.

Last edited by NigelDay; Jul 8th, 2016 at 15:51.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 23:08   #6
Yodabeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Just a brief update. I was getting 'car key not found' and a slow remote key fob opening response, so finally got round to ordering two sets of new batteries. Result !

I checked the open cell voltages of the four ex-factory batteries (car manufactured May 2015, one key used regularly, one key never used).

Old cells: 3.04v 3.05v 3.02v 3.03v (CR2430 Sony brand)
New cells: 3.20v 3.21v 3.21v 3.22v (CR2430 Duracell brand, expiry date 2024)

The key(s) now work as they should. Doors open, boot opens, keyless works.
It's disappointing that the factory-fit batteries must have been old stock. As the expiry date of 'new' batteries is (at least) 8 years from manufacture, it does suggest Volvo purchased a very large number of them rather a long time ago.

So, for anyone having key problem, replace the batteries. Only a few quid from eBay.

To be crystal clear - are you saying that the fob worked with the “new cell” voltage that you listed above? Or does it need to be the old cell voltage?
Yodabeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 10:13   #7
volvo for ever
Premier Member

KVM is in the roofeither nsr at rear grab strap or center of shark fin close to tail gate my understanding its short transmission fault so new KVM and reload

regards
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote