Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swirl Flaps (yes again)

Views : 1347

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2020, 10:48   #1
FlabbyPanda
Brian

Default Swirl Flaps (yes again)

Recently bought a 2008 v50 200,000 km and getting around to fixing some issues. My reader is showing the following faults.

ECM-18A0 - Swirl Actuator Control - Offset fault

According to the service history the swirl arm was replaced by the main dealer around 18 months ago. Could it be gone already? I checked the arm yesterday and I was unable to move it. Could it be jammed or should it move at all unless the engine is running etc?

Thanks
FlabbyPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 01:47   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

Is the plastic connecting link rod still attached? Have a look at the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsltZXXnX3k

If the link rod has fallen off, its a £6 part from Volvo. You can do a DIY fix, as shown in the video above. Many say its not ideal, but loads of people have done it. The ball that the link rod attaches to gets worn with the movement of the link rod & the heat of the engine - General wear & tear I suppose. Then, the link rod has nothing to hold it in place & it falls off.

The link rod moves when you start & stop the engine, if its attached to the socket & ball of course that you can see in the video. The movement of the link rod in turn moves the flaps into the open/closed position as required.

Its a very common issue. I rang the local dealership to get a new link rod for my car & the member of staff I spoke to said that they stock them all the time, simply because they sell lots of them!

Last edited by Kev0607; Feb 18th, 2020 at 02:00.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 09:43   #3
FlabbyPanda
Brian

Yes the rod is still attached to the actuator and its the new arm by the looks of it (metal appearance etc).

I'm going to remove the arm from the actuator this evening and see if it moves freely.
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 23:36   #4
FlabbyPanda
Brian

So I checked today and arm moves freely when I removed it from the actuator, I'm guessing the actuator is faulty but it's there a better way to confirm?
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 00:53   #5
Kev0607
Premier Member

Connect one end of the link rod to the actuator & make sure the other end is attached to the other socket, get someone to start and turn off the car five times whilst you’re watching the movement in the engine bay. The car automatically does a test cycle every five shut downs. If there’s an issue, the actuator won’t be moving & the link rod will be stuck in place & won’t be moving either - You'll see no movement if the actuator is shot basically. You should see the link rod move back & forth when connected to the actuator each time the car is started & stopped if its working properly.

Last edited by Kev0607; Feb 23rd, 2020 at 01:06.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 21:46   #6
FlabbyPanda
Brian

so after disconnecting the arm and moving it forward & back, and then reconnecting it all seems ok. the error is cleared and MPG is actually better now.
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 23:28   #7
Kev0607
Premier Member

Keep your eye on it to make sure that the link rod doesn't fall off.