Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo LPG Conversions - What is the best car and system?

Views : 10237

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2019, 18:32   #21
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottoman View Post
I heve volvo XC70 polestar I want lpg car conversion is it possible ?
What year end engine code?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2019, 23:22   #22
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I only have experience of one Volvo. My P80. Now clear of 320,000 miles with gas. It's getting very clunky but still goes. It's a factory Necam job. These have iissues, but I've always managed to cobble it up to keep it going.

These cars are found rust-free even at 20 years old. They go forever. Follow these pointers and you'll see much the same:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=263883
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 19:31   #23
Russki

I used to drive 60miles round trip every day in S60 factory LPG achieving 10p per mile. 60% motorway + country lanes. Cruising 50 ish miles per hour behind first lorry I meet. I stop my logs about a year ago, but still achieve around 270miles going 6miles to work and wotnot shopping per tank of 53liters. But LPG now 63p...
Russki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 11:33   #24
A64

Dear all,

forgive me if I don't own a Volvo but at least my engine is one of these, the 5-cylinder 2.5T, sitting in my 2007 Ford S-Max Titanium.

It's the B5254T (B5254T3 most probably).

Anyway, the engine is in top condition but I'm considering a gas conversion and hear different opinions about how to do a conversion properly - or if have it done at all.

Can you maybe help me clarify some basics here, related to LPG conversion ?

1. The engine is told NOT to have hydraulic valve lifters. For gasoline operation this is still okay, for LPG we need to have valve clearance adjustment every 20.000km or so.. (I change oil every 15.000km anyways so not an issue to have both made at the same time).

2. This procedure is told to be not that simple with this engine because camshafts need to be taken off, alongside with the belts and everything around it to have a look and measure valve clearances - is that right, really that complicated ? It would significantly increase costs of a normal check and oil+filter swap.

3. An LPG converter company used to have an alternate option which is grate off a little on the camshafts at the proper place and build-in some kind of spacers for later easy adjustments of the valve clearances, without the need of full timing belt & camshaft removal. Can it be right, can this work ?

So confused now, not sure which system to take.. some countries use Alex/Optima systems, others BRC.

Of course I'd like to have it modded the right way but how to decide who knows the truth ?

And finally: my best friend owns a Focus ST 2.5T, same engine, he told me this engine has fixed valve lifters so no need to adjust any valve clearances, Volvo made these engines to last without the complications (??) of hydraulic valve lifters and I shall stay calm and relaxed, just use the engine. I doubt I shall not take any precautions so at first I don't want to believe him but .. I think it's better if I ask you too.

Many-many thanks.
A64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 17:07   #25
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

1) correct these engines use the solid tappets and they are less suited to LPG

2) setting the clearance is not so easy. the rocker cover holds the cams in so you need the tools to held the cams down for setting the clearance or you could make them.

3) no not possible, you will always have to remove the rocker cover and therfore remove the cams

It could well be possible to convert to the older hydraulic tappets

What I do use use a product called Flashlube. The electronic system is suitable for turbo engines. It pumps in a little special oil that helps to protect the valve seats

As to system choice BRC is harder to service and only BRC installers have full software access. Alex never been keen on. Both KME and Europegas work well and any good installer can service

The other thing you need to bear in mind is that you will need a calibrated petrol return line fitting as these cars use a fuel rail pressure sensor that needs to see a flow of fuel in the correct kind of level otherwise fuel trims will go out and the EML will come on
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 12:51   #26
A64

Thank you for this detailed answer, it was very interesting (and disappointing) to read the facts. Well, I should have educated myself before buying but LPG is always a grey field, some say A, some say B ..

Quote:
It could well be possible to convert to the older hydraulic tappets.
Does anyone live in Europe to make this safely ? I assume it needs an older cylinder head then.
A64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 21:47   #27
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

You could well be able to just use the tappets. I would suggest talking to someone like Tim Williams first
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 20:56   #28
BrianH
VOC Member

I've got an old Groot made in Holland under licence. Installed in 2001. The first unit had a habit of backfiring after a few years. Replaced the seals which improved things but the whole replacement Groot has been much better. Total mileage for this very simple induction system is 590 000 mls.

BrianH 245GL 740 000mls. Still going strong.
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 21:04   #29
BrianH
VOC Member

Use top end lubrication now and keep the valves seats under review.
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best volvo to convert, high mpg, lpg conversion