Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

anti skid service required message...

Views : 3322

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2020, 18:32   #1
stegreg
VOC Member

Default anti skid service required message...

2003 V70 awd, geartronic. 166,000 miles. been having this error message intermittently for a couple of months, sometimes on for 1 journey, next journey...no message...sometimes message on for a weeks driving, then off again.
ive checked for errors on vida and come up with these:
bcm-0094 communication problems with dem.

is there any specific module I should be testing further with vida?
is it possible it could just be water on connections on the rear diff cable connectors?
im new to using vida for diagnostics so any guidance to help trace the fault would be appreciated
stegreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 18:57   #2
volvo for ever
Premier Member

there are 2 plugs t the dem you need to check if your getting 12v feed .earth and can high and can low

using vida go into network is the dem in red if so its of the network
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo for ever For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 19:11   #3
stegreg
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
there are 2 plugs t the dem you need to check if your getting 12v feed .earth and can high and can low

using vida go into network is the dem in red if so its of the network

Thanks for your response. Im hoping [weather permitting" to have another go with my Vida system on Sunday, so can get back to you with any info I can on your suggestions.

is it possible to check "can high/low" with vida? if the weather is dry enough was going to lift the back of the car up and check the rear dem connectors for both security and corrosion and will now also check for power. its just strange the way it can work intermittently, its almost saying "dicky connector"...just a case of finding which one unless there is any commonality if this type of error.
The Following User Says Thank You to stegreg For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 19:35   #4
volvo for ever
Premier Member

If it's intermittent then no need to check can wires poor connection possibly

Regards
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 21:40   #5
stegreg
VOC Member

Thanks for reply, but any ideas as to where these connections may be "dicky".

In the meantime, since starting this thread. the car came up with a message on cold start up : "Anti skid temporarily turned off", then after engine fired, the message cleared and the anti skid warning and triangle stayed off for 3 days. then, again, one morning, on cold start, "just as the glow plug light went out, prior to starting "anti skid service required" and has now been same for 4 days again. warning still on ?
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 17:14   #6
stegreg
VOC Member

sorry for delay in update, but I work within NHS, so hope you can appreciate, we've been a little busy for a while.

so annual leave today and done another vida diag:

it seems the "SAS" is not communicating: [steering. angle. sensor]
I did a live test and can see the micro switches switching on/off as I slowly rotate the steering wheel, but 4 of the other signals are just saying "off",
tried another reset, to no avail, ive manually checked all the cabling, plus with this diag, can assumedly discard the clock spring as its sending signal to the sas board.

so, ive ordered a replacement sas board, as it has a separate board bolted inside the indicator/wiper switch housing [sneaky].

other than this I think it might be time for a dealer diag and possible recalibrate the SAS , as could not see this on vida [unless ive missed it?].

Old May 6th, 2020, 18:25   #7
stegreg
VOC Member

Ok so had to start somewhere, so ive replaced the "steering angle sensor", being as this is a circuit board, set inside the rear of the column switch assembly, I replaced the complete item, switches, SAS and clock spring cable.

so now the bad news [inevitable really] still have the error codes, still has the "anti skid service" message on the warning panel.

now when running a diagnostic, can anyone put any light on these codes?

bcm- 0111 communication between control units SAS tolerance not yet completed......how do you do this>?

bcm-a031 communication between control units tolerance control for SAS not run.? again....how do you do this check?

bcm -0094 communication between control units communication problems with DEM.?

sorry for the questions, but I work in a hospital and have little spare time currently, as I hope you can appreciate, so any advise would be greatly appreciated, as usual guys.
Old May 12th, 2020, 08:32   #8
37 RUBY
Master Member

Can I ask, are you using VIDA to simply provide fault codes ?...

...or have you used the repair and diagnosis work through available?

Also I think there is a set procedure as you replace the SAS, so many turns one way the back of something like that.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2020, 16:16   #9
stegreg
VOC Member

thanks for reply. I am not fully conversant with using Vida, so yes ive only provided the code Vida throws up.

although the steering clockspring assy did come in a "locked" position, I did run the roll connector through its full turns to fully ascertain its centre, as 2you never know" and did not with to snap the cable by accident.
Old May 12th, 2020, 18:01   #10
37 RUBY
Master Member

In that case I would urge to use the diagnosis section.

You can have a look at the steps even if not connected to you car.

Far more accurate than the elaborate guessing game your entwined in at the moment.

Have a look at the repair/replace element on Vida for the SAS.
I'm not with my computer so can't look myself but I'm sure there is a procedure that needs adhering to for it to function correctly.

HTH

Let us know how you get on and what you end up doing to rectify the issue.

Cheers

Dave
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post: