Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Uploading a video to help with diagnosis

Views : 611

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2020, 17:22   #1
Gaztech

Default Uploading a video to help with diagnosis

Hi guys, as title says. How do I go about doing this?

Thanks
Gaztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 17:50   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Put it on YouTube and post a link.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 18:28   #3
Gaztech

Thanks, that was pretty obvious sorry! Link below

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lkT0hV_mVz4

Car has been doing this for a while now. This was with the car on axle stands, in first gear. This noise is lower pitched and a vibration (rattle) when the car is on the ground and only occurs when you first get going and only lasts around a mile. It does not do it when stationary on the ground and there is no clicking when turning.
I have recently changed the clutch to an 850r clutch and pressure plate and smf with all new bolts. I put a new genuine release bearing in with volvo grease and also fitted a quaife diff with new bearings and races whilst I was in there. Genuine, fresh Volvo transmission oil in the gear box as well and gearbox seals changed.

This was occurring before all this work and none of that work made any difference. I must add this work was not carried out in an attempt to fix the noise, it was done because of the clutch slipping. I just thought I would add it in to help with diagnosis.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as always.

Gareth
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 18:42   #4
Gaztech

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4M4ZckLR0s

This it on the move. They could be 2 totally different things but the 2nd video is the one I hear daily

Last edited by Gaztech; Feb 20th, 2020 at 18:59.
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 09:35   #5
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Through my laptop speakers I can't clue into any particular noise. This evening I'll plug it into a PA system I have in my house and hope there's more definition.

Dave..

My old Turquoise 850 TDi GLT & my present Garnet Red V70 TDi CD

My 1998 V70 TDi CD : http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/album.php?albumid=654
tdidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 14:31   #6
Gaztech

Thanks. It could be 2 different faults but it is the 2nd link with the car actually driving that is the more troubling noise. I am leaning towards a cv joint issue.
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 18:23   #7
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Gaztech

Can you give us some more clues?
What year and model and engine is this?

Just to rule it out, can you check that the ac is not kicking in? (Turn it off inside then look at the ac clutch and see if it is engaging).

Where do you hear the noise coming from?
Could it be anything else driven by the aux belt (power steering pump, alternator, a/c)

On those videos, can you let us know the timing when the noise kicks in, so we can focus on the relevant bits?

Just to confirm, only in first gear? What happens if you move the clutch pedal up and down (in first)?

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)

Last edited by SteveSarre; Feb 22nd, 2020 at 20:00.
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 22:59   #8
Gaztech

Hi thanks for your reply. The car is an R reg 2.3 T5. The first video is with the car in the air and in first gear. It starts when you reach about 1500 revs and stops when you lift off. The 2nd video is with the car on the ground and actually driving and the noise only occurs when you first get going and turn the wheel. It occurs in all gears and doesn't go away until you have travelled around a half mile. The noise comes from the front near side. I am leaning towards it being a cv joint?
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 20:57   #9
Shadow

in the first video it sound like the traction control. it uses the abs system to brake what ever wheel is spinning. the noise sounds like the abs pump running. you say it only does it as you move off and then goes away on the 850 the traction control is only active from 0 to 25 mph but if you use tracs too much it shut's off too stop the front brakes over heating( it stores the over heat code in the obd). so that maybe why it comes and go's.

id try turning the traction control off with the front jacked up again to see if it make the noise again.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote