Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My first Volvo and I don't know how this will go...

Views : 400

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 16:05   #1
Mr Lucky

Default My first Volvo and I don't know how this will go...

Hello all.

I am here for knowledge and advice. After mooching around the search engines and seeing which forums seem to be best for Volvo info it seems that this group is head and shoulders above the rest for it so here I am.

Why I am here is because after probably over a year of searching and holding back, I finally leapt into Volvo ownership when I bought a rather sorry looking 54 plate V70 D5 SE on Thursday evening. The car has a few issues which need attention and as these cars are new to me I'll be asking plenty of dumb questions in the near future.

The most obvious issue upon purchase was the fact that the rear screen, both boot side windows and drivers rear door window had a hammer through them, courtesy of a man who had a grievance with the previous owner. It seems said thug has also ran up the bonnet and tried to kick in the windscreen as well as it has multiple cracks. I got it home from Oldham to Durham, wrapped in clingfilm and sellotape. It looked like I was driving a giant crisp packet!

The car is a little tired, suspension-wise, as I expected it would be and the driver's side rear shocker seems to have little damping left in it as it crashes a bit on big bumps and potholes and seems to get itself in awful muddles over sections of road with poor surfacing.

There is a leak of power steering fluid which is coating the area around the reservoir with fluid. This includes the cam belt which in turn flings the stuff over the back of the headlight and onto the bulkhead as well. Joy!

Speaking of steering the car pulls to the left when driving but I suspect this is just tracking.

On tick over there seems to be a little less smoothness from the transmission area than I would have expected so I am wondering if there is a lose or broken gearbox mount. There are no rattles or squeaks upon driving though.

The windscreen wash doesn't! Although the headlight wash works, there is no 'buzz' from the windscreen washer motor so I am hoping this may be just a blown fuse.

The engine seems strong and willing and the gearbox changes smoothly up and down.

The stereo is with the car but currently not fitted as the previous owner had a double-din head unit of their own fitted which they have taken out and kept. So I have a big hole in the centre console with a load of raggy wires hanging out (some hacked and cut).

I spent yesterday sealing up the smashed windows a little better to keep out the weather as it sits on my drive and vacuuming out the broken glass.

Other than the issues the car is impressive and perfect for my needs. It even achieved an indicated 69 mpg average (I believe the computer lies and this would be closer 60mpg) on the long drive back from Oldham and it was supremely comfortable. And it is mot'd until late September too.

I think I am a happy man considering I paid £400 for it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo.jpg (149.6 KB, 28 views)
Mr Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 16:29   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

same car as mine rear shocks only take an hour a side to change fronts take half a day dependant on your skill and availability.of tools plenty of breakers for parts with this model keep us posted on your progress with your new car
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 17:30   #3
Mr Lucky

Thanks Simmy, I shall.

Just had a little more prod and poke around in it before i leave for work and it seems I have no radio reception and only have the central dash speaker working...
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 17:32   #4
Dippydog
Premier Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.As above keep us posted on progress.Plenty of help on here to point the way if you need it.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 17:55   #5
Simmy
Premier Member

centere speaker works direct from the amp under the front seat others from head unit if its an hu850 these can be troublesome why did the previous owner take it out? maybe it was faulty before you got the car
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 08:11   #6
Mr Lucky

Hi Dippydog, thank you very much! I'm pleased I found such an amazing resource of helpful and knowledgable people.
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 08:28   #7
Mr Lucky

Simmy the head unit is a 4 disc HU-803 and it does have a sticker on its top side that states 'Soundmaster- car audio and radio repairs-decodes-satnavs' and it has some contact detail for them too, so it looks like this unit has also had some work done on it in the past.

If they are known to be troublesome I may well just blow a few quid on one of those all-singing, all-dancing head units from china with the touch screen interface. I listen to a lot of spoken word books in my current car as well as the training questions for my up and coming LGV theory test. My current car (a Hyundai i10) has an amazing built-in touch screen system as standard, spoiling me with all sorts of goodies (live traffic satnav, mp3 player, USB connectivity, hands-free car phone, DAB radio, Andriod linkup etc) so I am loathed to go back to the old days of CDs rattling around in the door pockets, dodgy out of date satnav wired to the cigarette lighter, desperately looking for a place to pull over when someone calls me, and so on and so forth. I have also taken note of the fact that the door mirrors on such a large car are minuscule and offer very poor rearview. Now I don't know what the interior mirror is like regarding 'filling in the picture' as the back screen is currently still made from carpet protector but I am hoping that it really helps to have that nice big back window to see out of. As a motorcyclist of many many years, I really shouldn't be that bothered as I am always looking around and checking blindspots but a rearview camera would be a nice little luxury for parking. The car has reversing sensors but they aren't working so there is another job to look into.

Ahh, the joys of a £100 car!
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 09:07   #8
cam
Premier Member

Smile

Hi mate and welcome.
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2020, 09:13   #9
Mr Lucky

Hi Cam, thank you. Great to be here. I am hoping to tell tales of joyful ownership rather than those of woe!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Lucky For This Useful Post: