Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LHD V70 S70 C79 Window Switch Pack Clusters in a RHD car

Views : 5873

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 6th, 2018, 18:07   #21
turboboy
Master Member

Default Window Switch Pack

When my switch pack started to play up I decided that I wouldn't be happy having the front switches on the wrong sides so went for a new RHD one.

My thinking was that if the original had lasted 120,000 miles and twenty years the replacement would probably outlast many other components. (Currently around 2000 miles per year and rarely open the windows as I have both A/C and a sunroof).

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 22:59   #22
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Yes, I agree, this would be the exact circumstance where this solution doesn't work. :

1) You're not prepared to accept 'left operating right' etc
2) Find £120 as easy to spend as £20
3) You won't use it anyway

Your dealer will love you.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Apr 1st, 2019 at 23:16.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 20:44   #23
Ian mallett

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
It's only the front plug, rear is wired the same on RH or LHD. Just done another, easiest way is to cut the loom and put a six-way chocolate block or better still solder a wire swap:

So, where A1 to A6 is the front plug pins, and these the colours going into the front plug...

Swap A1 (BL Blue) to A2 (SB Black)
Swap A2 (SB Black) to A1 (BL Blue)
Swap A3 ( W White) to A5 ( GN Green)
Swap A4 (BL/W Blue/White) to A6 (BL/GN Blue/Green)
Swap A5 ( GN Green) to A4 (BL/W Blue/White)
Swap A6 (BL/GN Blue/Green) to A3 ( W White)

Or do as I did in the finish and go down to a breaker and cut out the length of the loom you want and wire one plug for your LHD cluster T'ed into the loom, such that you can still run a RHD cluster. Carefeul though, don't get them mixed. You will mash a cluster if you put a LHD in a RHD wired front plug.

Now, i've rung this a while now, I truly believe the Chinese version better than OE. I have long since got used to the right operating left and left operatign right. And at £20, I'll never go back to a RHD cluster.

Hi, I know this is a bit of an old thread but I have this problem with the switch pack. I have read your post about using Chinese LHD pack and modifying the wiring, so I'm curious instead of cutting the loom or adding in extra wiring, could I use the wire swap info above and remove the pins from the multiplug & swap them into this new order? Saving cutting or soldering, and if I did want to go back to a rhd switch pack I could swap them back again.
Also, with the LHD pack wired into a rhd car does the driver's window keep its auto down function or does that then move over to the passenger door?

2010 XC90 D5, R-Design SE 185 (I'm not allowed to abuse this one!)
Ian mallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 11:14   #24
BorderVolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian mallett View Post
….could I use the wire swap info above and remove the pins from the multiplug & swap them into this new order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
You could, but it's v.tight. I tried and failed. You might be better at this than me, else, a soldering-iron is your freind.

I'm going to fit my new switch today hopefully...….solder at the ready !!

Great thread, thanks CNG .
Old Apr 20th, 2020, 16:34   #25
BorderVolvo

Well I cut and soldered the wires as per instructions but it no worky !!

The drivers window went down but wouldn't go back up!
Passenger window, working fine.
RHR window, nothing.
LHR window, working fine.

I got the drivers window back up by feeding the blue/green wire then left the switch disconnected …...until today.

I was apprehensive about opening the switch but it had to be done.

The plastic pieces that move the contacts were doing what they're meant to do and the contacts appeared to be moving, but..... I prodded the contacts with a tiny screwdriver and things started to work as they should. I then tried to slightly bend the moving part of the contact so it would close tighter.....not sure if it was this or maybe just dirt or grease(there was grease on the door locking part of the switch) that was causing the "non contact".

So it's working now but to anyone who tries this and finds it not working right.....don't be afraid to prise the switch apart.

A great fix
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 10:25   #26
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Apr 26th, 2018, 16:54 :~ see post in this section.

Still going strong after a service - new replacement is still looking at me from the delivery box! second hand unit also having a stare!

They do come back to life with a little care.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 08:51   #27
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I'm sure you're right Bob.

If you're running minimal miles, and don't want to suffer the left switch operating the right, a quick repair or £120 to throw at it is best.

The factory switch is poor which is why this fault appears so often, but it's doubtful you'll come a cropper with light use.

This is a £20 fix, and near permanent, but £20 is not the best way for everybody.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Mar 6th, 2021 at 08:55.
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 13:07   #28
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Along with others who suggested this - bite the bullet and spend £120 for a RHD switch pack. My C70 T5 coupe went through 3 in 410,000 miles - the first two lasted around the 80,000 mile mark each, the 3rd went for 250,000 miles and was still going strong which suggests that the switches were improved internally.
Is it really worth all the faff for something that will last you at least as long as the car will?

Regards
John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 09:03   #29
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

If £120 is good for 250,000 miles I would agree, bite the bullet. 3 in 410,000 miles is £360ish plus hassle - not too bad.

I've been less successful:

1) Original unit died at 90K
2) Tried several used units, cleaning contacts etc. A lot of time wasted. None lasted much over 10K.
3) Bought a Volvo original at 120K ish Got me to 180K
4) Tried a LH Chinese eBay £20 special. Smoked it instantly.
5) Worked-out this wiring hack with the next Chinese cheapy. Been on there 160K.

With 4000+ hits on this thread, that's a lot of woe.

I think I said, I managed to pull the loom on an old car, such that I've got both sets of LHD or RHD wiring / plugs sitting in my door. Thus when the Chinese cluster goes, which it must do at some point, it's a 5 min swap to RH or LH clusters.

It's not best, and wrong-headed, but I've got used to the LHD cluster long since. I do recall pressing the wrong switch occasionally. If I went back, I'd take forever to unlearn my 'wrong' set-up!

If I'd been on new originals at the life-expectancy I've seen my bill would be at £480. Which for me seems a lot. What with used units and all, including one 'trial' instantly smoked Chinese unit, the bill is still excessive at £230ish.
Spent on used units, a new cluster and a 'trial', this hack has stemmed cash out-pours to £20 a go, but is still not ideal. There's trail-blazing in my bill, for others it should be a lot less..

'Ya pays ya munny'.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Mar 7th, 2021 at 12:03.