Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Oil Level Poll

Views : 513920

Replies : 217

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Have you had the excess oil issue?
Yes 190 37.11%
No 322 62.89%
Voters: 512. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 28th, 2018, 14:50   #171
4x4
I roll

My oil level overfill was due to a ham fisted mechanic who serviced the car before it was handed over to me when I purchased it. I removed 2 litres to bring the level down to the 3/4 mark, then 4 weeks later I removed all the wrong oil they put in and gave the engine some proper Castrol Edge 0W-30 A5/B5
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 19:03   #172
Parisien

I take it this issue only affects diesel powered cars, as I had a "check oil " message on dash when away for a long run yesterday in the V50 2L petrol, but all seem good.

P
Old Dec 31st, 2018, 10:18   #173
4x4
I roll

A year since I did an oil change and 3,500 miles so I checked my oil level last night and it's exactly where it was when I did the oil change
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2019, 18:06   #174
assettt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shah View Post
I have noticed my oil levels creep up.

1st Time had it fully serviced. within 2 days warning came up. took to garage and they siphoned it off a little.

Since then all ok until 2weeks ago where it said Engine System something and when i checked the oil level electronically it said too much.

Not sure why this occurs. Will have to drain some more off myself rather then another trip to the garage!
My car was serviced in February and all was fine until over the weekend in London stop start traffic the message popped up of engine system service required. When I checked the oil level it was indicating well past the Max level. I will be taking the car to the mechanic on Friday but just wondering the potential engine damage if I continue using the car until Friday. Car at the moment serves fine.
assettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 17:31   #175
moosehead74

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by assettt View Post
My car was serviced in February and all was fine until over the weekend in London stop start traffic the message popped up of engine system service required. When I checked the oil level it was indicating well past the Max level. I will be taking the car to the mechanic on Friday but just wondering the potential engine damage if I continue using the car until Friday. Car at the moment serves fine.
I had exactly the same thing happen with my 2017 XC60 a year ago. A few weeks after the service the same message 'engine system service required' came up and when I checked the oil level on the dash it was well into the MAX. I was away from home at the time so called out Volvo. The guy checked the level on the grey dipstick and confirmed it was OK and safe to drive. It subsequently went back to dealer who reset / recalibrated the sensors! It was then serviced last week. Before the service it was just on the MAX mark. After the service it was just on the MAX mark. A week later after hardly any miles it's now on the 3/4 mark. Very bizarre and it really does worry me that there's no proper dipstick.
moosehead74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 21:46   #176
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead74 View Post
I had exactly the same thing happen with my 2017 XC60 a year ago. A few weeks after the service the same message 'engine system service required' came up and when I checked the oil level on the dash it was well into the MAX. I was away from home at the time so called out Volvo. The guy checked the level on the grey dipstick and confirmed it was OK and safe to drive. It subsequently went back to dealer who reset / recalibrated the sensors! It was then serviced last week. Before the service it was just on the MAX mark. After the service it was just on the MAX mark. A week later after hardly any miles it's now on the 3/4 mark. Very bizarre and it really does worry me that there's no proper dipstick.
I believe there is widespread lack of knowledge on A , The volume of oil to put in after a service and B , the fact that it is essential to reset the oil level gauge after the oil change .
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 23:29   #177
CJL
Master Member

I've just had my 2012 V70 D5 serviced by a main dealer and was charged for 5.9L.

The electronic dipstick reads 1/4 above min.

I have added a real dipstick and that reads 1/3 below minimum if you see what I mean.

I have no idea how much oil is in the engine.
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 10:16   #178
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
I've just had my 2012 V70 D5 serviced by a main dealer and was charged for 5.9L.

The electronic dipstick reads 1/4 above min.

I have added a real dipstick and that reads 1/3 below minimum if you see what I mean.

I have no idea how much oil is in the engine.
the correct volume for the 5 cylinder diesel is 5.7 litres this was revised about 13 years ago or more .

With this amount the proper dipstick should read 2/3 up the XXXXXXXXX mark . You are measuring the level when stone cold i guess? When they have changed the oil they are supposed to reset the oil level gauge on the dash . when that should show full on the gauge .

once you are sure there is 5.7 litres in there and the gauge has been reset and the car left over night the dipstick you fitted should show the correct amount, if not them mark it , it could be the incorrect dipstick as your car was not meant to have one . what does the grey plastic service dipstick show ?
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 16:20   #179
CJL
Master Member

Thanks Clan,

No, I hadn't let it stand for long enough.... but now I have (level garage overnight), the dipstick is 1/4 up the XX XX marks. That's the same as the electronic dipstick, so that makes me feel better.

Compared the distance into the sump of the service dipstick to the proper one and they appear to be the same. No reason to think it would be wrong as it has been on there for maybe 5 years without a problem.

Will still speak to the dealer when i get the chance, because they clearly haven't done it right.
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2020, 22:03   #180
TeamG
Master Member

So can anyone actually explain why, other than pure greed, Volvo now have an electronic oil sensor? If not greed, then they would make it simple to reset the sensor from the driver’s seat.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote