Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 590188

Replies : 2689

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2019, 10:58   #2141
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Just another example of Selekt being worthless.

Overpriced cars sold on false promises.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 15:40   #2142
SeaShell

2015 '64 Plate V60 D4 - 78.5K

P04D9 code just popped up, car has had EGR work done before I got the car.

I have spoken to dealer and it may need a £150 diagnostic to ascertain why the problem has occurred again - worst case being told the head may need removed.

Best case will probably require a new cooler >£600 with no guarantee Volvo will contribute.

Not an ideal situation.....
SeaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 15:54   #2143
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaShell View Post

I have spoken to dealer and it may need a £150 diagnostic to ascertain why the problem has occurred again - worst case being told the head may need removed.

Best case will probably require a new cooler >£600 with no guarantee Volvo will contribute.

They are not handling your case correctly at all ! Volvo have laid out the process they should follow and it is certainly not charging the customer £150 before they look at it !
Firstly they need to read the code , if it is a code for blocked EGR Cooler they can carry on with it and will know how much volvo will contribute before they start . On the other hand it may be something more simple such as a lambda sensor which just needs cleaning .. so the first thing they need to know is what the fault code is and does it indicate EGR cooler has low flow through it ? volvo codes have 7 digits .... have you left off the last two digits ?
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 16:03   #2144
SeaShell

Hi,

To be fair I used a generic ODB reader (it only gives a 5 digit code) and have only spoken to the dealer over the phone at this point.

The car was in the main dealer last Monday (£80) to diagnose a stop start fault which turned out to be a loose battery connection.

The check engine light appeared on Saturday.

I'll give them another shout and see what I can sort out.
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 23:00   #2145
raimis05

Hi all, got my v60 d4 2015 , over 100.000 miles and 3 months after check engine light came on. After some research i went ' delete ' EGR route. 1st garage claimed but were unable to make it.
The 2nd guy was fairly confident and reprogramed the ECU, no more lights, car drives as it should. Only small niggle - start/stop acts somewhat erratic, doesn't kicks as previously but that's the least concern. Cra seems to be more alive on 1st and 2gear, same fuel consumption
raimis05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 23:22   #2146
SeaShell

I gave the MAP sensor a clean (very mucky) and cleared the codes. Engine light now off and the car seems to be running well, definitely sharper on the throttle.

I'm wondering if the light could have been anything to do with the last trip to the dealer.
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 09:20   #2147
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:

P04D9 is the standard OBD2 code for insufficient EGR flow, which could be due to a blocked cooler or even the valve. Just because it's had previous EGR work does not rule out the problem reoccurring, mine is on its second valve and third cooler (at slightly lower mileage than yours).

I also had to agree to pay for a diagnostic check, it was 'only' £60 and was eventually covered by the Volvo goodwill contribution. The replacement valve and cooler was actually around £1600, however there was a goodwill payment of 100% towards the cooler, diagnostics and labour plus 50% towards the valve. So it cost me a total of £337.
Old Jun 29th, 2019, 10:27   #2148
SeaShell

On the motorway this morning and acceleration 4th/5th/6th really dead. No more warning lights.

Also start stop not available.

Time for another trip to the dealer!!
Old Jun 29th, 2019, 10:54   #2149
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
On the motorway this morning and acceleration 4th/5th/6th really dead. No more warning lights.

Also start stop not available.

Time for another trip to the dealer!!
It might help if you drill down into the Sensus menu to find out exactly why the stop/start is inactive? Mine is usually due to 'the battery having a low charge or at a low temperature'.

Good luck!
Old Jun 29th, 2019, 11:36   #2150
SeaShell

I spent £80 two weeks ago at the main dealer. They told me battery was ok and there was a fault code for s loose battery connection which was fixed.

Perhaps not....