Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to change the oil using the dashboard level indicator

Views : 745

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2019, 16:28   #1
BobS
Master Member

Default How to change the oil using the dashboard level indicator

Hi,

I have always changed the oil and filter between services and the engine on my V70 (215k mls) is still quiet and trouble free.

Now I also have a XC60 (2015) and although the dealer can't be faulted for the servicing on both occasions the bill is eye watering!

I would like to know how to check the oil level when changing the oil?

A guide would be helpful.

Questions like how to trust the level shown on the display. Does it need ignition switched on and off to re-scan the level or does it constantly give a updated level?

How much oil to put in before checking the level?
A mechanic said that the level shown on the display can be reset electronically. So can this level be trusted?

The mechanics of changing the oil and filter hold no worries but the lack of a dipstick spooks me a bit.

Any tips or guides welcome.

Thanks
Bob
Old Jun 9th, 2019, 16:41   #2
Chrisv60

It's not easy.

There was a recent discussion on it here which will probably answer you question.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=293927
Old Jun 9th, 2019, 17:31   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Hi,

I have always changed the oil and filter between services and the engine on my V70 (215k mls) is still quiet and trouble free.

Now I also have a XC60 (2015) and although the dealer can't be faulted for the servicing on both occasions the bill is eye watering!

I would like to know how to check the oil level when changing the oil?

A guide would be helpful.

Questions like how to trust the level shown on the display. Does it need ignition switched on and off to re-scan the level or does it constantly give a updated level?

How much oil to put in before checking the level?
A mechanic said that the level shown on the display can be reset electronically. So can this level be trusted?

The mechanics of changing the oil and filter hold no worries but the lack of a dipstick spooks me a bit.

Any tips or guides welcome.

Thanks
Bob
A lot of people and non-volvo garages mess this up on the new volvo 2.0
4 cylinder Diesel .

you need to drain all the oil and filter when hot , fit a new filter then pour in exactly 5 litres of volvos finest 0w/20 VCC RBS0-2AE specification oil , you must use this unique to volvo oil . The physical oil level will be correct .
when you have done over 20 miles the gauge registers the amount of oil it thinks is in there . You may be lucky and it will be on MAX . if not then you need to take the car to the dealer to get the oil level gauge reset . It depends how much oil the last person put in when he reset the oil level gauge . it is part of the service to reset the oil level gauge . It then takes the present level to be correct .
Old Jun 9th, 2019, 18:38   #4
Zebster
Upstanding Member

It is now my understanding that the oil service 'reset' merely forces the level indicator to give a 'max' reading... It'll find its own level over the next 30km (this is necessary to avoid the scenario where a vehicle is serviced that previously gave a 'min' indication and would therefore otherwise still do so following the service). You just have to drain completely, reload the correct amount of oil with a reasonable accuracy, then ignore the e-dipstick indication until 30km/20 miles has been covered. If you really got it badly wrong then the 'low' and 'high' message warning system will always function properly with no delay.

By the way, the e-dipstick is rubbish, it's merely a binary display that can only show 'min' or 'max' with no intermediate indications. It switches from one end of the scale to the other as an arbitrary threshold is crossed!

Last edited by Zebster; Jun 9th, 2019 at 18:41.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 16:19   #5
BobS
Master Member

Hi,

Many thanks for all the replies.

What should be a simple job now has so many things to go wrong!

I think I will try and get the Police spec dipstick mod done as it seems to be the only method of being sure the level is where it should be.

Will keep this post updated on my progress.

Thanks
Bob
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 17:08   #6
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Hi,

Many thanks for all the replies.

What should be a simple job now has so many things to go wrong!

I think I will try and get the Police spec dipstick mod done as it seems to be the only method of being sure the level is where it should be.

Will keep this post updated on my progress.

Thanks
Bob
Good idea, if you have the 5-cylinder engine. Not possible with the 4-cylinder VEA engine.