Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 D5 163 '03 - Revs rise when brake applied, limp mode

Views : 406

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2019, 11:43   #1
Ndavis

Default S60 D5 163 '03 - Revs rise when brake applied, limp mode

Hi there,

The car has 155k on it and suddenly, without warning, threw up the 'engine service required' message and went into limp mode whilst doing 70mph on a motorway

First of all, cycling the ignition didnt clear the code and then I noticed that whilst braking to make turns at junctions, the revs would rise from 750 to 900 rpm, increasing as the pressure is applied to the pedal.* The car drives in limp mode (i.e no turbo) and I managed to get home with it.

On inspection, pumping the brake pedal with the engine off firms it up, and upon cycling the ignition to 'II,' I cannot hear the (electric?) vacuum pump cut in.

When I start the engine, the brake pedal can be depressed again and the revs rise as stated to 900rpm, dropping back down when pressure is taken off the pedal.

I have looked at the vacuum pump underneath the cross brace and checked the elbow join there, and it appears ok.* There is vacuum making it to the valve mounted on the airbox...

The fuse for the vacuum pump (bay 3) was empty and putting a 15a in here as shown makes no difference.* I dont have a mityvac pressure gauge to check the output from the vac nipple on the side of the block...

Is there another, electric vacuum pump that I have missed?* Can this 'burn out?'* If so, where is it?

Failing that, has anyone seen this before and have any ideas?* The other large diameter pipe heading from the vac pump to the dash appears good, and has some sort of one way valve in it - not sure if this is prone to failure?* Any input greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Nick
Ndavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 12:48   #2
davebb
Premier Member

Hi The D5 does NOT have a electric vacuum pump,
the vacuum pump is on the left side of the engine,
you need to connect up a vacuum gauge to see what is going on,
it does sound like you have a leak at the brake booster, but you need to test with a gauge ,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 18:52   #3
Ndavis

Thanks Dave.* I have ordered one, but for now in the absence of a vacuum gauge, my extremely unscientific method was to disconnect the servo vacuum pipe and put my thumb over the pump servo nipple.* It sucks hard - enough to pinch my finger - and I cant feel any difference to the vacuum at the t piece for the mounts with it connected or disconnected and my thumb over it to simulate no vac loss at the servo.

If the servo was dodgy, I would expect a difference at the t piece with my thumb over the servo vac outlet?

Beyond that, it throws the message up as soon as the ignition is on before i start the engine.* Could the break pedal sensor be the culprit?

Thanks,
Nick
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 21:28   #4
choosy54
Dangerous Dave.

Watching this with interest. Mine is doing the same. Diagnostics says that the boost control sensor is faulty.
choosy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 21:53   #5
Ndavis

Interesting, thanks for this.

If you mean the thing under the big black pipe on the front of the engine, have you tried having it off and cleaning it up?
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 10:00   #6
Ndavis

Tried cleaning the turbo governor under the egr pipe, which was cruddy and... no change.

Can these fail electronically? Wonder if its worth putting a multimeter on if people know what it should read?

Thanks