Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Expensive hybrid battery

Views : 14055

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2019, 11:25   #11
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanc View Post
If it really is about £15000 that means the hybrid would only be worth scrap value once the hybrid battery had reached end of life. Therefore, not really a car for someone who intends to keep it over 10 years.
Even if the hybrid battery is still good (and I don’t think the average person can tell) then your T8 is still going to be worth little as people know you have a 15k pack that will potentially fail.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2022, 12:56   #12
Tizwoz

Default £14,000 quote for hybrid battery replacement

Before buying my V60 hybrid I asked a local Volvo dealership how much a battery replacement would cost and they told me £14,000.

Mine is ten years old and works corectly. I don't know what other parts such as a new engine would cost but of course scrapped ones are available and individual parts so that overhaul is normal.

Batteries from a scrapyard will no doubt become available but repairing a battery by replacing components doesn't seem to be a common procedure for Volvos at present. That has to change if the cars are going to be sustainable past their warranty period.

I like Volvos because they last so well but the electric type don't seem to be adequately supported.
Tizwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2022, 23:07   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizwoz View Post
Before buying my V60 hybrid I asked a local Volvo dealership how much a battery replacement would cost and they told me £14,000.

Mine is ten years old and works corectly. I don't know what other parts such as a new engine would cost but of course scrapped ones are available and individual parts so that overhaul is normal.

Batteries from a scrapyard will no doubt become available but repairing a battery by replacing components doesn't seem to be a common procedure for Volvos at present. That has to change if the cars are going to be sustainable past their warranty period.

I like Volvos because they last so well but the electric type don't seem to be adequately supported.
where did you get that info from? Every dealer should have a fully trained person to repair / rebuild batteries .
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 13:37   #14
KeithR56

An awful lot of serious money is being invested around the world to build plants that can refurbish or recycle EV batteries. I understand refurbishing batteries can be extremely dangerous and some countries won’t allow it to be done on their soil.

Like many people on this forum, I’m not an expert on battery technology, but I do read what has been written by experts. According to EDF, VW are planning to build a plant that will take depleted batteries and assess them. Some batteries will be refurbished, some will be repurposed, and some will be recycled to reclaim the precious metals. Refurbished batteries will probably have 80% of original capacity.

I’m not sure how much you think a Volvo technician will able to do at your local dealership, but I doubt it would be more than replacing a depleted cell with a new one.

12v lead acid batteries can also be refurbished, but I don’t think you’ll ever see your local dealership doing it.
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 22:46   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithR56 View Post
An awful lot of serious money is being invested around the world to build plants that can refurbish or recycle EV batteries. I understand refurbishing batteries can be extremely dangerous and some countries won’t allow it to be done on their soil.

Like many people on this forum, I’m not an expert on battery technology, but I do read what has been written by experts. According to EDF, VW are planning to build a plant that will take depleted batteries and assess them. Some batteries will be refurbished, some will be repurposed, and some will be recycled to reclaim the precious metals. Refurbished batteries will probably have 80% of original capacity.

I’m not sure how much you think a Volvo technician will able to do at your local dealership, but I doubt it would be more than replacing a depleted cell with a new one.

12v lead acid batteries can also be refurbished, but I don’t think you’ll ever see your local dealership doing it.
Exactly , It wont be for a while but they are trained and set up for doing so .
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 00:40   #16
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

You can bet that this reclaimed battery facility is nothing more than taking a sledge out of the car and scavenging the good cells for re-purposing (Laptops & Cordless tools etc) and the shot cells will still end up being your great grand kids problem towards the end of the century,

They will sell it like a foundry melting down metal into new metal sheets though.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 01:37   #17
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

If you watch a lot of car TV you will have seen Ralph Hosier on a few things. His engineering company is now offering courses to fix and recondition EV and hybrid battery packs.

So yes there will soon be a battery centre in every major town.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 02:20   #18
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
If you watch a lot of car TV you will have seen Ralph Hosier on a few things. His engineering company is now offering courses to fix and recondition EV and hybrid battery packs.

So yes there will soon be a battery centre in every major town.
They could simplify it by making cell packs like bee honeycombs, then the mechanic would only have to open a door on a section of the pack and replace an individual cell each time in a matter of minutes, a cell that currently costs about £8 each retail and a lot less trade,

Lots of folks are rushing in without considering a few things, the electric motor will suffer the same fate as any washing machine over time and be U/S to the average diy mechanic, the batteries rely on coolant more so than the ice does and heat ain't a good thing mixed with all the cells it takes to make a pack,

Anyway I'm decided, when diesel is banned I'm taking the then old girl in for a Mr Fusion fitment although I'll be limited to 88 MILES AN HOUR!!!!
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 09:22   #19
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
They could simplify it by making cell packs like bee honeycombs, then the mechanic would only have to open a door on a section of the pack and replace an individual cell each time in a matter of minutes, a cell that currently costs about £8 each retail and a lot less trade,

Lots of folks are rushing in without considering a few things, the electric motor will suffer the same fate as any washing machine over time and be U/S to the average diy mechanic, the batteries rely on coolant more so than the ice does and heat ain't a good thing mixed with all the cells it takes to make a pack,

Anyway I'm decided, when diesel is banned I'm taking the then old girl in for a Mr Fusion fitment although I'll be limited to 88 MILES AN HOUR!!!!
Did you get the factory Flux Capacitor option?

Can't see Diesel being banned in my lifetime, too many existing vehicles and plant running on it. Whilst battery and hydrogen will offer alternative car propulsion, there's no substitute for a big diesel engine in military and construction equipment.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2022, 23:56   #20
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Did you get the factory Flux Capacitor option?

Can't see Diesel being banned in my lifetime, too many existing vehicles and plant running on it. Whilst battery and hydrogen will offer alternative car propulsion, there's no substitute for a big diesel engine in military and construction equipment.
Diesel seems to be making a comeback in the hybrids so maybe someone who kneejerked has been replaced by a thinker who knows it's going to have to be something really special to beat the old oil burning no chance of a fire in a crash, reliable, torque in spades, sipper, lower co2, heavy fuel,

When you look at it most of the petrol hybrids only get near or match diesel mpg so why lug two engines around one of which becomes a drag when discharged anyway,

Had they not demonised it by now we'd be on Euro 9 and not a drop of nox emitted.