Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 - Possible Water Leak Into Back Footwell

Views : 1333

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 11th, 2019, 16:31   #1
TeeBoo

Default S40 - Possible Water Leak Into Back Footwell

Dear All,
I’m new so please forgive me if I get this wrong.
We have an elderly 1.6 S40. (2010)
It’s great, except when it rains heavily, the carpets in the rear/passenger footwell get sodden.
The local mechanic says that there are no holes under the car.
I can’t see any drips or staining around the sunroof, down the sides of the interior or around the seats.
The rubber seal around the door looks ok to me.
I’m starting to wonder if the door is a bit bent out of shape, or if there is some means of ingress that isn’t obvious to a non-technical like myself.
Has anyone seen this before?
Thanks
TB
TeeBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 21:53   #2
eric19371
Clueless

I am sure you have already checked this but you didn't mention it so...

The S40 and V50 are prone to the sunroof drains needing attention (pipes becoming disconnected before they enter the front bulkhead or the rubbers at the end becoming blocked) and this issue and the (very easy) fix is covered elsewhere in the forum.

It tends to make the foam under the front carpets become sodden first and then the back but in my experience it never made the top of the carpet wet as there is a plastic layer between the carpet and the foam. Maybe the water is finding a slightly different route down into the interior than I experienced.

My S40 I had to remove all the seats and carpets to get them dry but my V50 wasn't so bad and dried out after I had fixed the issue.

Last edited by eric19371; Jun 14th, 2019 at 21:56.
eric19371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 19:21   #3
markt1
Trader

Check the screen Volvo had a bad batch of sealant around that time they went with a new windscreen sealant, I was washing my 09 one day to see my hose pipe water running on the inside
New screen sorted all my damp issues, the fitter said mate look at this and the screen could have been pushed out all 2/3rds along the top.
markt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 15:10   #4
Petey80
Premier Member

It could be blocked sunroof drains. The wind traps/knuckles in the corner of the windscreen become blocked due to the end of them being almost crimped shut.
My progress thread in my signature has a guide on what I did to fix the issue.

You might not see any water marks, possibly some where the A pillar trim meets the headlining.
When the wind traps are blocked, this is where the water backs up to, then runs down the A pillar and into the foot wells.

It could also be a blocked A/C drain. This is located where your left foot is whilst driving, under the carpet.

The floor pan is quite open, so water from the front can easily travel to the rear foot wells.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 23:16   #5
AndyMcc

Place your hand inside at the tip of the windscreen and push out. Pound for a penny it's the windscreen seal. Water runs down the sides and under the carpet. If you feel the carpet it can seem dry however the sound proofing underneath is bonded onto it and quite thick and holds water. I had this with mine. Windscreen resealed 110 pounds, removed the carpet which was a bugger to dry.
AndyMcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 09:24   #6
AndrasL

I had major windscreen seal failure in my 2011 S40. They are from the same era, so you may have teh same problem. The glue simply let go.

Here is what you should do:
1. get a condensed air can or a vacuum cleaner that can blow air
2. get some soapy water
3. apply the soapy water around the seals
4. blow air at the seals from inside the car

If you see bubbleing, you will know which seal has failed. If it is the rear windscreen, do not attempty and home repair, bring it to a shop and have it replaced.

If it is the doors, you can try to bend them back in place (gently).

The water is probably flowing down below the trim, which is why you don't see it.

Be careful of mold. Clean it carefully if you see any (don't breathe that stuff in).
AndrasL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.6, carpet, leaks, s40