Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Oil Level Poll

Views : 513958

Replies : 217

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Have you had the excess oil issue?
Yes 190 37.11%
No 322 62.89%
Voters: 512. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 19th, 2010, 12:24   #1
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Default Engine Oil Level Poll

To try and understand if this is a common issue or one that is rather more isolated I wonder if you could answer the poll questions above. That way we will be able to understand the occurence of the issue
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 13:09   #2
r-designbob
Premier Member

Hopefully the mods will make this a "sticky".
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 13:36   #3
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Default Mods - can you make this sticky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-designbob View Post
Hopefully the mods will make this a "sticky".
Good suggestion - how do we get the Mods to make it a sticky?
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 14:19   #4
BArker

Default Rising oil level

My v70 D5 has been to various dealers a number of times during the last 2 years (twice in the last 2 weeks) due to this issue with the rising oil level. My car is generally used on the motorway and I only use V-Power or Ultimate diesel. My visit to volvo last week will hopefuly be the last until the next service, but I now have little faith in either the car or the dealers. All they have done so far is carry out various software upgrades. Could this be a mechanical issue too? This is my 3rd Volvo and the only one I have had issues with. Can anyone offer some advise on the problem?
BArker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BArker For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 15:43   #5
UKDave

What do you mean by 'issue', do you mean 'have you actually experienced a problem', or 'have you had the recall' ?
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 16:37   #6
r-designbob
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Good suggestion - how do we get the Mods to make it a sticky?
My experience from other forums, they will see this ask and automatically do it......hopefully.

Wait and see what happens, if not PM them.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 16:44   #7
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I suggest that is 'actually suffered' from the Rising Oil level - that is what we want to know.

There are many recalls for many things almost none of which you ever encounter, having had a recall notice is immaterial if you have not suffered from the issue
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 17:00   #8
wilbydoughboy

How would I know if I have oil pressure issues. With a newish car under warranty I wouldnt think there would be such issues but unless told how would one know as I cannot see any oil spewing out anywhere or any smoke puffing.
wilbydoughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 17:07   #9
UKDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbydoughboy View Post
How would I know if I have oil pressure issues. With a newish car under warranty I wouldnt think there would be such issues but unless told how would one know as I cannot see any oil spewing out anywhere or any smoke puffing.
That is what I meant
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 17:38   #10
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbydoughboy View Post
I do not know anything about oil pressure issues, in fact I have never seen them mentioned anywhere (perhaps you could expand on this?).

The issue is in the title of the thread, Rising Oil Levels which you will notice everytime you check the oil level - assuming that you do.

Even under warranty you need to check the oil level since if it is low or high and damage occurs then the ensuing damage could be attributed to you as the maintainer and then the warranty would be void. You fill up the windscreen washers between services, you check the tyres, the need to check the oil level is in the same league as these items