Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 590196

Replies : 2689

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2015, 22:21   #11
Rooster
Speed freak

There is an issues with the EGR valves and EGR coolers on the D4 lumps,

But volvo are on with it and the valve has been modified twice since the first D4's were released and the cooler has also been modified,

They have updated journal a couple of times as to what we do to fix these and at moment it does seem to be working,

With the parts been modified we are struggling abit getting parts but this also seems to be improving
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 22:39   #12
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post

But volvo are on with it and the valve has been modified twice since the first D4's were released and the cooler has also been modified
I must admit I chuckled a bit when my dealer called me to say "don't bring your car in, Volvo has told us not to fit the updated EGR valves they sent us and they're going to issue another updated part."

I wonder what's going wrong with the valves? I mean, it's just an electric motor, a cam, pushrod and a flap that opens and closes .... they're not THAT complex
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 00:39   #13
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post

But volvo are on with it and the valve has been modified twice since the first D4's were released and the cooler has also been modified,

They have updated journal a couple of times as to what we do to fix these and at moment it does seem to be working,

With the parts been modified we are struggling abit getting parts but this also seems to be improving
Would you say that, for want of a better example, that D4 cars delivered say mid April, the alteration would be factory fit and reliable?

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 21:06   #14
K5 Gus

Not looking forward to reaching 5,000 - 7,000 miles, will constantly be worrying that the car will be about to go into limp mode.

Hope they do a recall before I get there.

Wonder what percentage of cars this is affecting ? Anyone here with a new D4 engine that has reached say 10k with no problem ?
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 21:38   #15
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Would you say that, for want of a better example, that D4 cars delivered say mid April, the alteration would be factory fit and reliable?

Regards
The production line always gets the updated parts first so if the service departments are getting them the production line cars certainly will.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 21:48   #16
ChrisL

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5 Gus View Post
Not looking forward to reaching 5,000 - 7,000 miles, will constantly be worrying that the car will be about to go into limp mode.

Hope they do a recall before I get there.

Wonder what percentage of cars this is affecting ? Anyone here with a new D4 engine that has reached say 10k with no problem ?
I'm on 11k and no issues. Had it in for a recall today (can't recall what it was as the fleet manager dealt with it, but when I collected they informed me they did 2 recalls on it (had to dash to pick my daughter up from nursery so didn't get chance to ask details)
ChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 23:38   #17
Flux
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5 Gus View Post
On almost 11k and no issue as yet. TBH I half expect it to occur as it seems to happen to so many other owners. Do you get an engine warning light and still able to drive or does it just stop and need towing?

Last edited by Flux; Jan 16th, 2015 at 23:42.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 23:51   #18
spaceman2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
On almost 11k and no issue as yet. TBH I half expect it to occur as it seems to happen to so many other owners. Do you get an engine warning light and still able to drive or does it just stop and need towing?
In my case, warning light came on, no limp mode or change in power etc. The light went off again after a day or so, but service department still advised bringing car in for investigation (and subsequent EGR repair/replacement).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spaceman2844 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 01:30   #19
Rooster
Speed freak

They are perfectly drivable with EGR issues and i don't think they even go into limp mode, it just tends to be engine warning light that comes on that seems to be the main complaint,

The D4 engine been a complete new design uses its EGR alot more than any volvo engine ever has this is one way amungst loads of others it is made euro 6 compliant,

I have seen a couple of these for there 18k services now with no issues and apart from the EGR issues ive not really seen any other problems with these VEA engines,
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 09:43   #20
andymcp
Premier Member

Just short of 19,000 miles, no problems. Did have two times that I had to press ignition twice and check engine was briefly there but never happened again and I was in a rush so didn't think about it again. Will keep an eye on it but nothing so far has given me any concern (famous last words!).

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote