Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tortoise on my dashboard - what the hec is going on?

Views : 20333

Replies : 95

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 22:54   #1
Arianne
Premier Member

Default Tortoise on my dashboard - what the hec is going on?

Ok, let's call a spade a spade.....

I have an R-design XC60 with the new D4 VEA engine. Tonight I also have a tortoise image on my central driver's dash with the message 'reduced engine performance'. Yellow engine block light is also illuminated with the word 'check'.

Why?

And, while you're about it......is there an alternative message 'enhanced engine performance' with a picture of a leopard?

I'm thinking we might need to give the car a good blast up the A68 tomorrow since it's been cold recently and she's only been dithering around town with Mrs A. Or Mrs A will need to pay a visit to those 'nice people' at Clelands Volvo in Galashiels.

Any thoughts (is it the return of the dreaded EGR, although that came with a different message 6,000 miles ago).

Arianne
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 22:57   #2
Considered1
Premier Member

What colour is the tortoise and does it smell?
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 22:58   #3
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

DPF issue maybe if you only been doing short trips?
As you say good fast blip up a major A road might help.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xco For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 22:58   #4
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
What colour is the tortoise and does it smell?
Yellow, and it doesn't look too healthy. I thought tortoise hibernate in the winter?

Arianne
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 23:10   #5
Considered1
Premier Member

from recent threads EGR / DPF.
Hopefully not but a good blast sounds like a good idea.
Watch out for the old deer!
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 23:11   #6
K5 Gus

That looks like it's just a generic message, and could be a number of things.

You need to take it in and I guess there will be a code logged they can read that will tell what the problem is
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 23:14   #7
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Might pay you to ring volvo b4 you go on your blast up the A road though,and just as a thought have you checked fluid levels ? Oil etc?

I see you had an XC90 before and just slightly off topic how do you like your Xc60 in comparison, better or regret changing it?

Last edited by xco; Jan 22nd, 2015 at 23:16.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 23:19   #8
xco
Premier Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5 gus View Post
that looks like it's just a generic message, and could be a number of things.

You need to take it in and i guess there will be a code logged they can read that will tell what the problem is
kerching !!! That'll be a hundred pounds please thankyou very much.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 23:29   #9
taylorc

What does it say in the manual?
Generally a yellow static light is a warning to get it looked asap whereas a flashing light means Stop Immediately but either way I would consult the manual and then the dealer! Hopefully it's nothing serious.....

Previous MY13 XC60 D5 R-Design Lux Nav

Previous...Audi S3 DSG, Ford Focus ST3, Ford Focus ST170
taylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 23:43   #10
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorc View Post
What does it say in the manual?
So the manual is 440 pages long. You'd think it would be in there - what with it being 440 pages?

No it's not! There's a section on messages and there's no tortoise and nothing about a message reading 'reduced engine performance' either. And just in case anyone thinks I might have missed it while I skimmed through Volvo's equivalent of Tolstoy's War & Peace.......I tried Cntl & F search on it (it's the web version saved to my laptop) - even my HP Pavilion with an Intel Core i5 processor couldn't find the tortoise.

I suspect it is the DPF but, on my previous XC90 (an analogue car compared to this XC60), the warning actually told you it was the DPF getting full and that there was a need for a burn thingy.

In the circumstances, since the car's under warranty and the dealer's not far away........Mrs A will take the tortoise into Clelands and ask Mr Cleland if he would be prepared to adopt the tortoise and give us our car back in full working order. It should be free?

Hmm, I like my XC60 and quite like the Volvo brand. But......... Do you think that JLR F-pace I keep bangin' on about would have a picture of a Jaguar appear on the dash display? Surely that's better than the tortoise? Honestly Volvo, a tortoise - someone in Gothenburg is having a laugh! It's R-design after all.

Arianne