Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tortoise on my dashboard - what the hec is going on?

Views : 20334

Replies : 95

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 19:27   #21
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Tortoise - its obvious - you drive too slowly

Wait till its icy and give it some welly...er on second thoughts better not.
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 20:23   #22
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
Since you ask...

• handling (XC90 was like a bus on these Scottish Borders' country roads)
  • less tiresome when in Edinburgh city centre & in towns
  • longer first gear (ours is manual because Mrs A insisted - XC90 had very short first gear due to absence of low ratio box)
  • engine (our XC90 was a 2006 185bhp D5)
  • refinement
  • amazing ICE - I actually love driving alone because the sound system is fabulous when set to driver only
  • fuel economy (VEA engine is great for that)
  • modern cabin
  • heated windscreen (not an option on XC90 which is weird for a Volvo - our previous Ford Galaxy had it for goodness sake)

Don't Like
  • less room (the XC90 is huge and we didn't even need to think about the luggage, just pile it in there)
  • FWD (XC90 was AWD and, on balance, if I could have got the VEA D4 with AWD I would have taken it. Life's a compromise for me and my wallet)
  • overcomplicated controls
  • slightly lower ride height & miss that full-size SUV feeling (but that's the price of gaining the handling)
  • the memory seat doesn't start moving until you open the driver's door - crikey that's poor. I wait and get wet while Mrs A's seat position (nose almost touching the window) slowly moves backwards. It doesn't help a marriage when, every day, you spend 15secs contemplating why your wife drives the car in such a way that you have to stand in the rain and wait to get in! And then, when you do.........you have to adjust the rear-view mirror as a female-of-the-species follow-though body blow

As for reliability.....sadly neither the XC90 nor this XC60 acquit themselves very well. The track record of the XC90 was not good but we still loved her (some women are like that - expensive but great to have as company!). Her little sister, our XC60, has similar traits we think

This one will be moved on between 3-4yrs old. All that technology doesn't bode well. We held on to the XC90 for 8yrs, thinking that lots of love and dealer attention would mean trouble free motoring because it was a Volvo. But it was not to be and the final straw was a rumbling rear wheel bearing all the way back from Italy in Summer 2013 - goodbye XC90. Got £9.3k for her on eBay though - 8yrs old, 4mths MOT and 115k on the clock. Pretty good when the dealer offered £4.5k!

Ah well, such is life. Carting tomorrow night which will be a different experience (not with the Volvo!).

Arianne
Thanks m8 for that good to know peoples views before and after purchases.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 22:10   #23
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

You have the driver support pack and your sign camera has seen this....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turtle_crossing_sign.jpg (49.8 KB, 8 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 22:12   #24
xco
Premier Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by roymacdonald View Post
you have the driver support pack and your sign camera has seen this....

...........................lol.................... ......
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 22:14   #25
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Prius has it too.

Turtle Light - Appears when:
Driving a Prius with the battery-pack extremely drained of electricity, in conditions too hot (typically above 105 F degrees), or conditions too cold (typically below -10 F degrees), so that an orange "turtle" icon displays near the speedometer. This warns the driver to avoid forceful acceleration.

Nothing you really can do except to avoid use of the battery. Also, relax, the battery fan will automatically turn on as needed IF it starts overheating.

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/tortois...#ixzz3PgIO1i7e
Follow us: @PriusChat on Twitter | PriusChat on Facebook
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 22:18   #26
GMcL
0's and 1's

Talking

While we're waiting for the prognosis of Dr. Clelands we can count our blessings it wasn't an Elk that was seen on the screen from behind the wheel of a silver arrow.

That is bad, it means you're about to tip over.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 00:22   #27
Arianne
Premier Member

Default Tortoise has now left the building....

Sorry for the delay guys (the Friday night 5-aside crew went Karting at Tranent for a change this week so I'm just back).

The tortoise has gone. Clelands were too busy to take the car without notice this morning - perhaps the place was crawling with tortoise? But, to be fair, they offered to look at it during the early afternoon. Mrs A needed it for her busy social diary so agreed to pop back later in the day...........

........by which time Mrs A had chosen herself to give it a blast down the A72 & back - and then confidently declared that the tortoise had gone missing. This afternoon, Clelands did the diagnosis and confirmed that there were no error codes.

So (and folks I warned you about the complex diesel stuff just a few days ago) it was diagnosed as the DPF regeneration - and that Mrs A had done this on her A72 trip.

I have just one comment to make. My old XC90 actually had a specific message that told you if the DPF needed a good regeneration. This 'new, improved, XC60 gives you a picture of a tortoise and a generic, almost meaningless message. Plus an orange engine block light with the work 'check' next to it. That, my friends, is progress!

Well, I think we can all agree that it was fun while it lasted. Let's put this one back in its box until the Spring!

A good weekend to fellow forum members.

Arianne

PS. If you have a VEA D4 then we are happy to have brought you this piece of research
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 00:35   #28
Flux
Premier Member

Thanks for your info Arianne. Quite why it doesn't just say a regeneration is needed is beyond me. It's a misleading symbol to say the least.

A tortoise symbol would generally give the impression that you needed to drive slowly as there was a fault somewhere when in fact the exact opposite is required to rectify the issue.

The only tortoise I hope to see is the one at my son's nursery, which in case you're wondering is called Brian, has one eye and is evidently over 50 years old.......and he can be put in the fridge over winter to help with hibernation. No, I didn't make the last bit up but does seem most bizarre. Never been much of a tortoise lover myself as I prefer furry things..........

Last edited by Flux; Jan 24th, 2015 at 00:53.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flux For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 00:46   #29
watchboy

My old V70 which was a 2011 plate used to display a message saying 'soot filter full / blocked'

Blooming soot filter, it ain't a steam train.
watchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to watchboy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 01:11   #30
swishtony
Master Member

Did Volvo say "Lettuce have a look to see if we can find the problem"?

It might also mean your engine is crying out for a tank of Shell diesel?

I'm sorry... bad jokes but it's late....