Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Windscreen: Water ingress on 60 models 2008 on

Views : 398717

Replies : 113

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2016, 20:20   #11
Thrustyjust

Well, I contacted my local Volvo dealer, to advised him of the issue and he said he hadn't heard of the problem. I advised him to use the power of google. He said he would speak to Volvo UK and see of any technical notes on this and get back to me. He did and advised that Volvo would remove the screen and refit it, but I would be responsible of the screen should it break. I said it sounds a bit like ' Volvo will replace the roof, but the paint is fine, so you will have to repaint it'. I said that I will go ahead with the screen removal and if they break it, they will have to refit the broken screen and I will have to look at my windscreen cover rather than an additional £300 or so for supplying a new screen. They didnt question anything , other than wanting to check the car before its done. Not an issue, I can easily show the screen lifting 3 or 4mm from the roof !! We cant leave it with the water pouring down the screen.
Thrustyjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2016, 20:49   #12
bullstiff

Same issues here of water seeping in at the top of the screen, our dealers said £120 to re seal however we needed to stand the cost of a new screen should they break it.
We contacted Volvo uk and explained the situation and our concerns they have agreed to re seal the screen and stand any costs incurred during this even if the screen breaks.
A pretty fair result.....
I say talk to Volvo Uk explain it is a safety issue and suggest it should have been a recall do this politely and I think you will be surprised at their willingness to help.
Good luck.
Ours is a 2010 xc60 d5 full Volvo service history.
bullstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2016, 22:37   #13
Thrustyjust

Been to the Volvo Dealer today, so as to show the screen move to the service department. He said ' er........ that's fine, yes it shouldn't do that, don't do it anymore, theres enough movement to break the screen !!' . Nice bit of quality adhesive holding that in then. So , witnessed and awaiting a date to repair. I advised him that I am going to speak to Customer Service at Volvo regarding the responsibility of the screen , as far as I am concerned, this is a defect from manufacture so don't see why I have to replace an item that may break fixing the manufacture issue. So , anyone give me a contact number to call on Monday please?
Old Feb 10th, 2016, 10:45   #14
ajsimmo

Thumbs down Yet another XC60 with leaky windscreen

After reading all the above posts, it quickly became apparent to me that the 2009/2010 XC60’s seemed to have an inherent problem with the windscreen bonding.

Obviously I have the same problem as all the posters above and only noticed it during heavy rain with water running down the inside of the windscreen.

Thinking back, inside the screen had been full of condensation on quite a few occasions prior to my discovery, but I had put it down to wet dogs and wet dog beds in the back.

After reading all these posts, I think I'll start checking the passenger side foot well on a regular basis.

I had a quick chat to a windscreen repairer (he was fixing another unrelated car windscreen) and he said I would be better off intentionally damaging my windscreen in order to get a free replacement through my insurance! A sad indictment on today’s society.

Anyway, I may just try some clear bathroom sealant before I fork out more money, (I paid £900 a few months ago for a replacement AirCon compressor!!).

Surely this is now becoming a recognised issue with these cars & Volvo should be taking action.
ajsimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2016, 21:02   #15
Thrustyjust

Volvo were quick to say they would remove the screen and glue it back in, so they know of the problem, but are washing their hands for the windscreen should it break. I have now had a call from the local dealer, after I emailed Volvo to say that they should cover the windscreen should it break. They didn't even have the decency to contact me, which just about sums them up customer relations at Volvo UK and leave it to the dealer to call me. Bunch of pansies. I will have a chat with my neighbour at the weekend. he works for Thatcham Research , those people who test cars for safety and I'll see what he says about selling cars with safety defects and not recalling them and taking full responsibility on making sure they are 100%. I am sure he might know someone who can look into this for me. Personally I wouldn't silicon the windscreen in, as it is loose from the roof and is more a safety issue now than just water coming in, as the screen supports the roof structure should you roll the car or have something land on the roof. I'll chat the citizen advice as well, as its peanuts to Volvo and a defect they should resolve and not cost me or my windscreen insurance. Another poor Volvo CR decision. I wont buy another Volvo after this, too many issues in the 20 months I have owned it .
Old Feb 10th, 2016, 22:54   #16
wilbydoughboy

I have read that it could be a safety issue but as Volvo have built their reputation on safety I cannot see how it could be. I have also read that the special bonding that Volvo use has to be heated, so it appears to be a special procedure. If it does however turn out it is a safety issue my concern would be for the hundreds or even thousands of owners who are driving a car they believe to be safe when they may have poorly fitted windscreens that they dont about. I wouldnt use silicone sealant due to the difficulty of removing it in the future.
Old Feb 10th, 2016, 23:12   #17
Thrustyjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbydoughboy View Post
I have read that it could be a safety issue but as Volvo have built their reputation on safety I cannot see how it could be.
The windscreen is structural to the vehicles roof. Without it being bonded to the roof , it will be weaker and may not support the roof in certain incidents. Or we would still be using the rubber strip of the 80's holding the screen in as it would be cheaper to manufacture.
Old Feb 14th, 2016, 14:23   #18
Thrustyjust

Funny thing happened today on my mountain bike ride. On my way home, who should I see, but an Autoglass guy working on a car. So, I stopped for a chat.
' Hi mate, just want to ask a quick question about my windscreen on my Volvo XC60'
' Oh, don't tell me, its leaking and not bonded at the roof !'
So Volvo 'do' know about this serious flaw, as he has said he has done dozens of them. He even says that Volvo should be repainting the roof area , as it is bare metal and in time will suffer with rust and write the car off. I have mentioned about the lack of success in making Volvo responsible for the complete repair and windscreen should it break. He said Volvo made their life awkward with the resealing, blaming Autoglass , should it break on removal. He also advised on the surrounding trim and damage to that on windscreen removal and make sure Volvo replace this. I asked about probability of breakage on removal. He said it was luck of the day as to if it breaks or not. He said he has to stick a spike in the lower corner of the screen to allow access for the cutting wire to go through the seal and that can cause the screen to crack. He said to badger Volvo, as it is their manufacturing defect, as he had witnessed so many with the same issue or speak to trading standards about a safety issue, which judging by Volvo's lack of response will be my next port of call.

Last edited by Thrustyjust; Feb 14th, 2016 at 16:19.
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 14:34   #19
Thrustyjust

So I called Trading Standards today and they showed great interest in my issue with the screen and the defect it has with the bonding. Volvo must repair this and take full responsibility of the screen removal and refitting. It is not the consumers fault that the defect has happened and they must put it right. Do not accept responsibility for the screen, it is Volvo's issue, if you have a similar problem. They are sending the local T.S guy round, I guess to inspect the vehicle . He will contact me in the next 48hrs. He will look at the safety aspect on the loose screen. There is a potential, as stated before that 30% of roof strength in missing and the potential of the air bags in an accident blowing the screen out, not actually meaning much to Volvo to want to deal with it pronto and take it on the chin with the total responsibility. Shame that Volvo UK can't sort these things out properly, but by saying they responsibility of the screen is the cars owners , is just financial damage limitation, not decent PR. Volvo Uk, if you read this, don't shy away from my emails to you, by getting the dealer to call me with your dirty work. I AM THE CUSTOMER WHO EMAILED YOU !!

Last edited by Thrustyjust; Feb 15th, 2016 at 14:36.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thrustyjust For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 16:31   #20
wilbydoughboy

Thanks for keeping us informed with your problem. I did enquire as to whether there was a recall for the windscreen problem a while back, but was told there wasnt. There have been many owners who have suffered with the windscreen bonding failing so I am somewhat surprised that there hasnt been one. With owners safety maybe being at risk I would have thought Volvo would have issued a statement to reassure them that there is no such risk.