Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Windscreen: Water ingress on 60 models 2008 on

Views : 398730

Replies : 113

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2016, 14:28   #21
tt82
Forum Support Team

Has anybody considered contacting BBC's Watchdog? Other models such as the V70/XC70 and S80 have also been affected by this issue.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2016, 20:17   #22
Thrustyjust

Not much of an update , other than speaking to the local Trading Standards lady. She wanted Volvo contacts to speak to. But due to the 'head in the sand' approach by Volvo UK, all I could give her was my chaps name at my local dealership, who is the Volvo UK pawn.
The wife used it today to go to work and she scraped the ice off the windscreen , got in and realised it was thicker on the inside, it is that wet in the car now. Lets hope for a quick resolution, as my life has far more important things to deal with, with my mother starting her cancer treatment next week and I need safe 'r' transport in going to hospital and visiting her while she fights this awful disease.
Thrustyjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 23:14   #23
Thrustyjust

Well, I gave up with trading standards. They wanted me to go back to the dealer we got the car from. But I wouldn't put a foot back in Snows in Basingstokes front door unless I carried a gallon of Shells finest and a box of Swan Vestas, after I was sold a sub standard car by them with worn out brakes and other issues. Selekt means nothing, so don't believe seeing that on a Volvo forecourt you get a decent car. So, I told T.S to forget it.
We have the car booked in to have the windscreen removed next week. Currently, I have more pressing things with my mothers health and the need to get a safe and working vehicle to transport her to get her radiotherapy following her operation. So, shame on Volvo, to be honest. To allow potentially hundreds of cars to be out in the world with a major defect of the windscreen being loose and unsealed from the roof. Shame Volvo has not wanted to agree with everyone in the car world and even windscreen fitters that this is their problem that needs resolving and accepting the responsibility of the screen should it break.
From speaking to our local dealer, we have agreed the date for the works and have said to them that to try your best to save the screen and that it will have to carry on fitting this if it does break. We said it isn't their fault Volvo UK are total inconsiderate to peoples safety , especially in a car which has such glowing passenger protection, they fall flat on owners and keep their bank balance up. I guess they need lots of money for the stalling D5's now anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thrustyjust For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 23:29   #24
bullstiff

Thrustylust I'm not sure if your abrasive attitude may be your issue to not having this matter resolved. One Polite email from us to Volvo uk and we received a prompt reply followed by contact from the dealer and a screen rectified by the end of the week free of charge.
Volvo don't appear to be sherking responsibility quite the contrary there was no question of them not sorting the problem on our 2010 Xc60
I accept there perhaps should have been a recall but there hasn't so politely inform Volvo uk that you have an issue it compromises the safety of the vehicle and offer them the opotunity to contact you to resolve the matter.
Regards
bullstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2016, 14:35   #25
Thrustyjust

Maybe I am a bit miffed , as you have noted. But if I could have shown the very nicely , polite worded email I sent to Volvo UK, you could have read how it nice I was. I suppose, if you write an email, you would at least expect the person you emailed to contact you back. Maybe I am wrong with manners these days ?. As for the windscreen being a noted defect and Volvo don't wish to accept its breakage, if it does, is just financial limitation for a flood of people asking for their cars to be repaired and righty so. Its a major flaw of the structure of the car. They have had the same issue in the past and never learnt to stop it happening again. ( 2005 V50's and V40's).
I guess its only a windscreen to some, but there are lots of people unaware of their cars being dangerous to have an accident in, which for a manufacturer who thrives on safety , doesn't want to know. We will get this resolved and judging by the 2 Volvos we have bought have all had dealer issues , we will not buy another when the time comes to replace it. We like the car a lot, but the solution for selling duff used cars by dealers and support from Volvo UK doesn't back up the product it sells.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thrustyjust For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2016, 22:52   #26
bullstiff

In most cases it's the Volvo dealerships that don't want to accept responsibility for the screen if it breaks and I can understand this, after all they are not to blame.
Volvo uk (in our case) accepted full liability and arranged the replacement of the screen at their expense meaning the dealers weren't out of pocket.
If you have recently purchased the car and discovered the fault then you should be able to ask the dealership that sold you the vehicle to rectify the issue they have a responsibility to you for a period of time.
There is a pattern to your posts though in that you've given up on the dealership who sold you the car, you've given up on Volvo uk and you've given up on trading standards, I suspect they didn't give you the immediate answer you wanted so you've spat your dummy out and taken your ball home. I can understand this when were frustrated by an issue we don't always react to well. Step back, breathe deep and try again. Trading standards will help you but there are a number of steps that must be taken in order for trading standards to give their full support, try their approach you may find that your issues are resolved amicably.
I wish you luck
Old Mar 1st, 2016, 23:57   #27
David Arm

Default leaking windscreen

2010 xc60, 4200 miles, leak from top of windscreen. Dealer not interested. I await a response from Volvo UK. Is a line of silicone a bad idea?
David Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 22:57   #28
Thrustyjust

Bad news of another screen issue. Sadly silicon wont help , as the windscreen is a major roof strengthener, so you will need it fixed and face the same scenario as myself.
Volvo even called the wife today to ask for our insurance details ' so should it break when removed, we can fit a new one '. Nice one Volvo, so then it costs you nothing . I will be calling them to tell them to refit the broken screen, than let them fit a new one on site. My policy states I must call the insurance company helpline should I have a glass issue before doing anything else. I don't know if the company they are using are contracted to do them for my insurance company.
Sadly bullstiff you aren't aware of most of the situations with my Volvos, so its nice to see you jumping to conclusions , but its a forum and that happens I suppose. Happy days..............
Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 23:46   #29
bullstiff

I'm not jumping to conclusions I'm making an observation. You regularly state that Volvo this and Volvo that but it appears you are talking about the dealership
The dealership are not Volvo they are an independent company who supply Volvo related services, they will not want to pay for the screen as it is Volvo the company who are responsible I'm pretty sure your insurance company won't cover your screen if the dealership breaks it, though it's worth checking. Ours stated it had to be accidentally damaged and breaking it on removal wasn't considered accidental.
Many Volvo dealerships will use the likes of autoglass and from a discussion with one of their techs I was told they never remove and refit screens they always fit new. I'm not entirely convinced this is true but I'm not in the trade so don't know.
I find it incredibly difficult to understand why my own example and two others I know of personally have had their car screens sorted free of charge at dealers authorised by Volvo uk and you are having so much difficulty. We had no success when discussing our screen issues with the dealers but within a week of emailing Volvo uk our car was sorted as were the two others this leads me to believe that Volvo uk will take your concerns seriously eve if the dealerships won't play ball.
I apologise for offending you, having re read my responses I can see I was less than hospitable. Regards
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 23:48   #30
wilbydoughboy

I have read that the procedure Volvo use for fitting the screens involve special heating and I was unsure if the usual screen fitters such as Autoglass use this Volvo approved system. Mind you if it didnt work when the screens were fitted at the car plant, a different method of bonding may prove to be a better one. If the Autoglass method of bonding proves to be longer lasting then the Volvo method, it would be a good idea for Volvo to come to some arrangements and adopt the Autoglass method.