Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'add 0.5L' oil level warning

Views : 26468

Replies : 84

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 17th, 2019, 14:23   #11
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
don't worry too much , you don't have to do anything special the oil level system takes an average over 20 miles , just check the level gauge on the dash a few times over the next day or so , what is it showing now ? The very fact that the message has come on makes me think the gauge was not calibrated at the last service 2000 miles ago ...
yes 65 - 70 mpg is not too hard to achieve if you stay at 60 -70 mph for long periods .
I need to wait another hour until I can take a reading! Will update then but yes, I shall now be checking regularly.

Is the alerting system prone to giving false 'add 0.5L' messages?
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 15:06   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
I need to wait another hour until I can take a reading! Will update then but yes, I shall now be checking regularly.

Is the alerting system prone to giving false 'add 0.5L' messages?
no it is a very accurate device to 1% when reset at the oil change , however if that is not done it still takes the original max level as correct .. Was it a volvo dealer which serviced it ?
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 15:19   #13
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
no it is a very accurate device to 1% when reset at the oil change , however if that is not done it still takes the original max level as correct .. Was it a volvo dealer which serviced it ?
Yes, it has FVSH and the most recent one was in my ownership. Since I owned it the car has been to that dealer several times with various issues apart from the servicing (washer pipe leaking into wiring loom connectors plus EGR valve & cooler replacements) and every time I've been very impressed with how they've dealt with the car and myself (including long chats with the actual tech), so I'd be surprised if they'd cut corners. But I guess they aren't perfect!
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 15:49   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Yes, it has FVSH and the most recent one was in my ownership. Since I owned it the car has been to that dealer several times with various issues apart from the servicing (washer pipe leaking into wiring loom connectors plus EGR valve & cooler replacements) and every time I've been very impressed with how they've dealt with the car and myself (including long chats with the actual tech), so I'd be surprised if they'd cut corners. But I guess they aren't perfect!
well either the oil level is down for some reason ( very unlikely) or they did not reset the oil gauge on the service , when the message comes up take it in to them . What is the level now on the gauge??
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 16:22   #15
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
well either the oil level is down for some reason ( very unlikely) or they did not reset the oil gauge on the service , when the message comes up take it in to them . What is the level now on the gauge??
It wouldn't let me select the electronic dipstick... car had been parked on level ground for well over 2 hours, so that was disappointing. Now off road and on a sloping driveway so I can't easily try again today (I can't keep stealing the neighbours parking spots).

Plugged in my ELM327 and ran the 'car Scanner' app which - with help from member @piotrek - is now fully configured for use with a "Volvo 2014+ VEA engine" and can therefore access and display ECU parameters... the current engine oil level value is 20.87mm, but unfortunately this is meaningless until I can find out what the min and max figures are in mm!

I also found a P250f DTC (low engine oil), although there was never an engine warning light shown.

Last edited by Zebster; Apr 17th, 2019 at 16:24.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 17:09   #16
piotrek

Found this in VIDA 2014d for VEA diesel engines:

Measurement range: 0 – 65 mm.
Normal value: 27 - 49 mm, which corresponds to a total oil volume of 4.4 - 5.2 litres (+ 0.4 litre in the filter).

Note! The levels above apply if the oil temperature is approximately 20°C. At 50°C corresponding volumes are 4.3 – 5.1 litres. At 80°C corresponding volumes are 4.2 – 5.0 litres. After oil service/oil change the level must be 38 mm. After filling the engine must first be started, to fill the oil filter with oil, then the oil must be allowed to run back down into the oil pan. See specifications - Lubricant, engine for exact volumes for oil service.

Note! The vehicle must be located on a level surface and with the engine off for a while so that the read out value is reliable. The time depends on the current oil temperature as hot oil runs down into the trough quicker than cold oil. The longer the engine is off, the more reliable the value from the sensor is. If the oil temperature is below 80°C read off after 5 minutes minimum.

Hint:
The oil level 25 mm (4.2 litres + 0.4 litres in the filter) corresponds to the limit for low oil (yellow information lamp) and 18 mm (3.9 litres + 0.4 litres in the filter) corresponds to the limit for critical low oil level (red information lamp). The oil level 51 mm (5.4 litres + 0.4 litres in the filter) corresponds to the limit for high oil level (red warning lamp). The limits apply at an oil temperature of 20°C.

Note! The value from the sensor is updated with a new value every ten seconds.
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 17:30   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
It wouldn't let me select the electronic dipstick... car had been parked on level ground for well over 2 hours, so that was disappointing. Now off road and on a sloping driveway so I can't easily try again today (I can't keep stealing the neighbours parking spots).

Plugged in my ELM327 and ran the 'car Scanner' app which - with help from member @piotrek - is now fully configured for use with a "Volvo 2014+ VEA engine" and can therefore access and display ECU parameters... the current engine oil level value is 20.87mm, but unfortunately this is meaningless until I can find out what the min and max figures are in mm!

I also found a P250f DTC (low engine oil), although there was never an engine warning light shown.
Useful information above , however that is all meaningless too unless the gauge is calibrated after the oil is changed , and EXACTLY 5 litres must be put in at the service , calibrate gauge and there will be no further problems unless the engine is genuinely loosing oil . After the service and calibration the gauge takes just over 20 miles to get acquainted with the volume of oil in the sump and then attributes a value of 100% to its sensed Full reading ...
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 18:51   #18
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Useful information above , however that is all meaningless too unless the gauge is calibrated after the oil is changed , and EXACTLY 5 litres must be put in at the service , calibrate gauge and there will be no further problems unless the engine is genuinely loosing oil . After the service and calibration the gauge takes just over 20 miles to get acquainted with the volume of oil in the he and then attributes a value of 100% to its sensed Full reading ...
It's an odd system that effectively requires calibrating/rebaselining at refill, rather than simply sense an absolute value!

I now have no way if knowing whether they either failed to calibrate the system after putting in the required volume of fresh oil (which should surely be OK unless the system had drifted since the previous service), or whether maybe the wrong volume of oil was put in, or whether the engine is somehow losing oil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrek View Post
Found this in VIDA 2014d for VEA diesel engines:

Measurement range: 0 – 65 mm.
Normal value: 27 - 49 mm, which corresponds to a total oil volume of 4.4 - 5.2 litres (+ 0.4 litre in the filter).

Note! The levels above apply if the oil temperature is approximately 20°C. At 50°C corresponding volumes are 4.3 – 5.1 litres. At 80°C corresponding volumes are 4.2 – 5.0 litres. After oil service/oil change the level must be 38 mm. After filling the engine must first be started, to fill the oil filter with oil, then the oil must be allowed to run back down into the oil pan. See specifications - Lubricant, engine for exact volumes for oil service.

Note! The vehicle must be located on a level surface and with the engine off for a while so that the read out value is reliable. The time depends on the current oil temperature as hot oil runs down into the trough quicker than cold oil. The longer the engine is off, the more reliable the value from the sensor is. If the oil temperature is below 80°C read off after 5 minutes minimum.

Hint:
The oil level 25 mm (4.2 litres + 0.4 litres in the filter) corresponds to the limit for low oil (yellow information lamp) and 18 mm (3.9 litres + 0.4 litres in the filter) corresponds to the limit for critical low oil level (red information lamp). The oil level 51 mm (5.4 litres + 0.4 litres in the filter) corresponds to the limit for high oil level (red warning lamp). The limits apply at an oil temperature of 20°C.

Note! The value from the sensor is updated with a new value every ten seconds.
That's really useful information but makes the 20.87mm figure I'm getting from the 'Car Scanner' app seem doubtful, as I'm currently getting no warning messages and/or red/orange lights. Additionally that figure of 20.87mm is static and does not change whichever way I park on my sloping driveway.
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 19:07   #19
piotrek

Interesting. Please follow the oil level in the next few days and let us know how it fluctuates.
Below are screens from VIDA 2014d for oil change in VEA diesel engine
(newer VIDA online might have a different procedure, though).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvov60d4veaoil entering.jpg (70.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg volvov60d4veaoil entering2.jpg (59.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg volvov60d4veaoil entering3.jpg (59.8 KB, 58 views)
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to piotrek For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 19:16   #20
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Yes, I'll connect up Car Scanner again to check the level, and I'll also try to get the electronic dipstick to give me a reading (I'm familiar with using it and done so successfully on several previous occasions)... maybe the system has developed a fault?

If I seem to have OCD on this subject, it's because my previous car (a Honda Accord) destroyed it's engine through a sudden loss of oil pressure.

I will update as things change. I have a long drive ahead of me on Sunday.