Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Conversion website

Views : 2319

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 01:28   #1
Baffler
Premier Member

Default Conversion website

Just doing a search and found this for anyone interested. The results are a little shocking...

http://www.gasconversion.biz/savingcalculator.html

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 01:58   #2
kevin derby uk

no there not if you want a shock convert to C N G
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 13:34   #3
Baffler
Premier Member

I'm sorry, I'm a little in the dark. Could you elaborate on CNG?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 21:06   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

CNG = compressed natural gas. Only problem is virtually no-one actually sells it.

LPG on the other hand is sold at roughly one in eight of all petrol stations. Some silly bu@@er once worked out that nowhere in the UK is more than 15 minutes drive from an LPG pump.

Had my V70 converted nearly 4 years and over 110,000 miles ago.

I reckon the money I've saved since has paid for the conversion - and the price that I paid for the car.

It takes about 20,000 milesto re-coup the cost of the conversion, after that you're laughing all the way to the petrol station!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 21:18   #5
Baffler
Premier Member

Thanks Jack,

The more info I read the more I want the conversion. Must get the calculator out again.

Cheers...

Old Oct 4th, 2008, 15:53   #6
capt jack
VOC Member

Hi Baffler

As you're in Ireland check it out carefully. The one thing that makes LPG worth it in the UK is the Govt's on-going policy to keep fuel duty lower than petrol and diesel. It's part of their commitment to the Kyoto agreement, and as there are relatively few LPG cars here; it doesn't cost them much and it earns them brownie points - or greenie points I guess!

It would be worth checking with your Dept of Transport or whoever is the taxing authority to see what the longer-term policy is in Ireland.

Also, check the fuel prices and availability. In the UK LPG is around 50% of the cost of petrol, and about 45% of the cost of diesel.

My V70 does 28mpg on petrol, 25 mpg on gas. Converting to LPG has been a great success. Bear in mind that 2nd-hand car dealers don't like converted cars, and you might find the trade-in value is reduced.

LPG works best in a big-engined car, where the slight loss of performance doesn't matter, and with a big boot, where the space taken up by the extra tank isn't an issue. It makes sense to keep the car a long time too. But then if it's a Volvo, why would you want to change it?

Cheers

Jack
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 16:04   #7
Musicmaker

I converted my Range Rover Vogue SE to LPG a few years ago. The saving in fuel costs was well worth the effort. I had my tanks under the chassis, which meant that I did not lose any boot space.

Last edited by Musicmaker; Oct 4th, 2008 at 16:06.
Musicmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 17:04   #8
Baffler
Premier Member

This is just it. I don't wish to change but lets face it the cost of fuel isn't going to improve. I'm at a loss as to what to do. My car is probably only worth the price of a good conversion anyway so if I was to convert I suppose I'd need to keep the car for a long time. Unless I was doing lunar milage, which I'm not, I think the disadvantages out weigh the advantages of converting my peticular model. I suppose the other option is to buy, for example, a 2.5 petrol V70 and convert it to LPG. As you say at least that way there would be more space for tanks/equipment etc and a bigger engine would run better on LPG.

Oh what to do???

Thanks again for the advice...

Old Oct 5th, 2008, 19:53   #9
capt jack
VOC Member

Why not buy a car that's already converted......?

On petrol at 30mpg over 50,000 miles you'll need 1700 gallons or 7700 litres. On gas you'd need a bit more - say 1850 gallons, 8500 litres. In UK terms, if gas costs 55p a litre, and petrol £1.10, your total spend is £4700 gas, or £8500 on petrol. Potential saving is therefore £3800 or €5500 if Irish prices are similar over the 50k miles.

All other running costs will not change, so all you need to do is factor all the usual car-change considerations.

There are quite a few LPG Volvos on Autotrader UK, ranging in price from £3,000 upwards - is it a sensible proposition for you to buy in the UK?

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Oct 5th, 2008 at 20:45. Reason: More thoughts
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 21:30   #10
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Why not buy a car that's already converted......?
That's something that never even entered my head. Will look into it.....the Autotrader that is

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
There are quite a few LPG Volvos on Autotrader UK, ranging in price from £3,000 upwards - is it a sensible proposition for you to buy in the UK?
I brought in my V40 from the UK last year. Have a look here https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator to see the VRT (vehicle registration tax) charges that are applicable to importing into Ireland.