Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is forte diesel cleaner ok to use on D5 ?

Views : 2256

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2015, 18:41   #11
AB-UK
Premier Member

Is RedX diesel additive any good?
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 18:58   #12
mjb73

I just use a good injector cleaner with every fuel filter change, filling up the filter housing canister with the injector cleaner.
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 23:28   #13

Thanks for the advice. I've ordered some Forte. I like the sound of the diesel purge but would be worried about disconnecting fuel pipes. And as I don't have any problems, I just thought I'd give it a clean after 87k.
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 17:41   #14
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Diesel Purge is to be used neat whereas Miller's is a 1:1000 ratio which makes it comparatively dirt cheap per application.
I too have noticed that they smell identical so I wonder what's the ingredient in Miller's which makes the mix ratio is so different?
On the last can of Diesel Purge I bought it said best to use neat but also suggested mixing in the tank for light cleaning - I can't remember the ratio.

Don't get it on your fingers or they stink for days!
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 17:52   #15
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Just read the Diesel Purge tin and it says to add it to the tank for "preventative cleaning".

This afternoon I've just run 2 litres of Diesel Purge through my 03 XC90 D5 which has 142k on it. I have previously run a bottle of Millers through it at double strength (by adding it to the tank). Whilst running the engine, I stopped it half way through whilst it was warm and let the car sit for an hour with the cleaner in the fuel system.

The difference is amazing, much smoother, very noticeable. With hindsight I think the bottle of Millers was wasted.... I did have a problem though in that the fuel return hose from the pump split when I was taking it off so had to do a mad dash to Halfords at 15.45 on a Sunday for some 8mm fuel pipe. If you do this on a vehicle >10 years old I would suggest prepare to replace the hoses as a matter of course. I also power washed the engine bay because no matter how careful you are - smelly stuff gets everywhere.

Diesel Purge gets my thumbs up!

Thanks to Shadeyman for his post and video.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 21:06   #16
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

would 5litres of this in a low filled tank do the same job without having to take the fuel rail apart http://www.liqui-moly.com/liquimoly/...cument&land=gb
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 21:36   #17
Shadeyman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
would 5litres of this in a low filled tank do the same job without having to take the fuel rail apart http://www.liqui-moly.com/liquimoly/...cument&land=gb
I had considered doing that myself but when I researched it a little more I found it was not recommended, infact I was told to avoid using it neat in the low presure side of the fuel system.
Diesel Purge has a very powerful cleaning action when used neat, it would dislodge all the crap in the tank and pipes causing major blockages in the fuel system.
When used in the tank it has to be diluted so the cleaning action is slower and can be managed by frequent changing of filters. Depending on what make of fuel fitters are installed Diesel Purge in its neat form could breakdown/dissolve them allowing crap from the fuel tank into the expensive and fragile high pressure side of the fuel system causing major problems.

My advice, don't do it. It only takes a few minutes to undo the rubber pipes that feed the high pressure pump and do the job properly.

Last edited by Shadeyman; Jan 18th, 2015 at 22:01.
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shadeyman For This Useful Post: