Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery charging

Views : 2491

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2018, 15:52   #1
bobby2000
VOC Member

Default Battery charging

I find I'm not using my XC60 so much at the moment, so would like to put it on a trickle charger, being a battery conditioner type of charger. Has anyone else done this or even just charged the battery up with a normal battery charger
I'm taking the main battery is under the bonnet, not in the boot.?
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 16:02   #2
Whiterdesign
Master Member

Hi bobby, you will need an AGM type charger due to the type of battery . The best ones are CTEK, not cheap but be wary of cheaper models. You MUST not charge directly onto the battery in the boot, but use the battery points situated in the passenger side of the engine bay. The positive one has a large red plastic cover on it and the negative terminal is situated a few inches away nearer the wing. It looks like a large bolt stuck up about an inch.
I have been thinking about doing the same myself as my start stop hasn’t worked for months due to doing a lot of short journeys
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 16:04   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2000 View Post
I find I'm not using my XC60 so much at the moment, so would like to put it on a trickle charger, being a battery conditioner type of charger. Has anyone else done this or even just charged the battery up with a normal battery charger
I'm taking the main battery is under the bonnet, not in the boot.?
Battery is at the rear under the floor compartment in the centre of the area where you might expect a spare wheel to be . however there is a charging +ve point under the bonnet on the left side under a flap . negative must go on the bare metal stud provided in the same area .
I would not worry too much , volvo say in storage the battery must be charged every 3 months .. You will get a LOW BATTERY message long before it lets you down ..
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 16:19   #4
Lexman8
Premier Member

Exactly as Whiterdesign says, especially not connecting a charger to the main battery in the boot. My understanding is that using the charging terminals in the engine bay ensures that both batteries are charged correctly.

I occasionally use my Ctek charger if the car is going to be unused for several days and I've made a lot of short journeys (especially in winter) and find it always brings the stop/start function back to immediate use. It also helps ensure that ERS, etc, will work.

Being an intelligent charger, the Ctek can be left safely attached to allow continuous topping-up if necessary. I certainly wouldn't use an old-style 'dumb' charger with there being so many electronic modules in these cars.

Last edited by Lexman8; Nov 6th, 2018 at 18:11.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 16:49   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

As above I recommend the ctek charger, I used to use the 7.0 amp Ctek charger for my XC90 as my stop start never worked unless battery charged, I too do mainly short trips but I suspected that my battery was faulty and after several goes at rectifying the problem it was finally diagnosed as a faulty battery. (never had a problem starting car just with the stop start)
My stop start never fails to operate now even though I am doing mainly short trips. I have never had to use my battery charger since. And we should not need too.
Anyone having problems with their stop start I would recommend you get your battery tested as there were some faulty AGM batteries put on these cars. There have been several posts on this forum about bad batteries being replaced.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 19:15   #6
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Anyone having problems with their stop start I would recommend you get your battery tested as there were some faulty AGM batteries put on these cars. There have been several posts on this forum about bad batteries being replaced.
I had the same issue with my MY16 XC60 and was constantly being told the Battery was fine and that I should simply charge it. But one service visit I refused to accept the same answer and asked the dealer to perform a different test. So a full VIDA test was performed and heh presto it was found to be faulty, So a new one was installed and my start-stop system worked perfectly from them onwards.
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 01:41   #7
Quacker
Premier Member

I use a dumb charger on all kinds of vehicles that have sophisticated electrics and have done for years with zero problems. My daughter’s Qashqai had a dead flat for some reason last week [suspect the keyless start is kept awake if the key is stored by her Wi-fi modem] and I jumped it from the Ranger pickup to get it going and charged it for three or four hours with a 20 year old cheapy charger and it has been fine ever since. I could site numerous other examples of doing the same.
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 08:18   #8
Fursty Ferret

The issue is not the car's electrical system, but that an AGM is quite vulnerable to damage from incorrect charging. Either your dumb charger will only partially charge the battery or overcharge it.

I've always wondered why Volvo is so adamant that a charger should never be connected to the battery terminals without isolating the battery from the rest of the car.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fursty Ferret For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 10:22   #9
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
I've always wondered why Volvo is so adamant that a charger should never be connected to the battery terminals without isolating the battery from the rest of the car.
It was the same with my Merc; they advised disconnecting the battery from the car before charging. There were no dedicated charging terminals.

On these SPA cars with two batteries, presumably the engine bay terminals feed a charge controller in the car which offers another level of protection. With this and a Ctek I've not had any problems charging in situ.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 13:07   #10
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterdesign View Post
Hi bobby, you will need an AGM type charger due to the type of battery . The best ones are CTEK, not cheap but be wary of cheaper models. You MUST not charge directly onto the battery in the boot, but use the battery points situated in the passenger side of the engine bay. The positive one has a large red plastic cover on it and the negative terminal is situated a few inches away nearer the wing. It looks like a large bolt stuck up about an inch.
I have been thinking about doing the same myself as my start stop hasn’t worked for months due to doing a lot of short journeys
Hi Thanks for your reply.
I have that type of charger, it has maintained my previous car battery for 7 years and was 9 years old when I sold the car recently.
I now have a little Smart car runner around, which now does most of my daily stuff, but it's not a long distance machine.
It's good to know that I can charge the battery via the terminals under the bonnet.
Thanks again.
Bob