Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V70 drivers door retaining bracket is splitting from the pillar - any ideas how tp fix it?

Views : 917

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 21:21   #1
MHB100

Default Volvo V70 drivers door retaining bracket is splitting from the pillar - any ideas how tp fix it?

I have a volvo V70 XC 1997.

The drivers door has started 'clunking' and on ivestigation is not the actual door bracket but where it is fixed to the pillar - the bracket is actually splitting away from the chassis!

I dont have a technical guide so do not know if the bracket can be 'fixed' from inside the footwell,etc or whether its a case of door off and carefull use of the mig welder!

any ideas, how best to fix this?

Cheers
Mark
MHB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 00:10   #2
britten_mark

Default RE: Volvo V70 drivers door retaining bracket is splitting from the pillar - any ideas how tp fix it?

Is this any help?

http://au.geocities.com/ozbrick850/d...fix.html#frank
britten_mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 08:22   #3
sarge
Master Member

Default RE: Volvo V70 drivers door retaining bracket is splitting from the pillar - any ideas how tp fix it?

I think that this issue has been covered a few times on the Forums. A suitable search may uncover some useful tips.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 12:21   #4
Mike Smith
Master Member

Mark
It involves taking off the door 15mins or so, thank goodness for plug and sockets!, drill out the offending welds and mig em up!, cost me approx £20 from a local bodyshop guy
Heres the past thread on the subject for some interesting reading
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/dc/dcboa...ng_type=search

Wants doing sooner than later too!

Regards
Mike
'96 GLT Auto Estate

For Every Problem - There is a Solution, Hopefully!
Mike Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 20:19   #5
MHB100

Excellent thanks for the link - it looks like an easy DIY
Cheers
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 20:20   #6
MHB100

Yes, thanks it has
Cheers
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 20:25   #7
MHB100

Excellent thanks Mike - it seems there an easy answer and a job for the weekend - having just bought the car last week (when somehow it did not 'crunch') I thought I had been conned with a major repair!

Cheers
Mark
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 13:37   #8
Tall Person

Hi,
I drilled holes near the broken welds, then used self tapping screws to re-attach the plate to the A pillar. Worked fine for me and I didn't have to take the door off. ideally I would have liked to have wleded it, but at least I didn't touch the paintwork.
Cheers,
Raoul.