Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Prop shaft centre bearing.

Views : 2217

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2020, 10:05   #11
greenestate
Because it's worth it.

Default Here we go again...

Inside the female socket of the front half shaft is a 'keyway', more a space (see 'A' on the photo below, and the black mark 'B' on the outer edge).
On the UJ at the front end of the rear half shaft there is a cast 'button' (see 'C' on the second photo). When you get these lined up not only does it fit together easily but the two shafts will be back in their proper, balanced alignment.
It is very easy to kid yourself that the shafts are properly marked for later assembly, but lining up the button with the keyway is pretty foolproof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EB3FEBAD-9076-416D-B9BA-E7FAC326794B.jpeg (19.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpeg 65F51928-0C6D-4B69-B0AB-54D59B5A9820.jpeg (10.7 KB, 66 views)
greenestate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greenestate For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 10:40   #12
GrahamWright

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
The propshaft will have been balanced as a whole unit so even if there wasn't a locating groove ideally they will need putting back together in the same place anyway to not affect the balancing. It is good practice to mark the prop halves to ensure you know where they went.
Every joint was marked - one of the hints that Haynes provided. His books aren't as thorough as they used to be are they?
GrahamWright is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamWright For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 10:41   #13
GrahamWright

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenestate View Post
Inside the female socket of the front half shaft is a 'keyway', more a space (see 'A' on the photo below, and the black mark 'B' on the outer edge).
On the UJ at the front end of the rear half shaft there is a cast 'button' (see 'C' on the second photo). When you get these lined up not only does it fit together easily but the two shafts will be back in their proper, balanced alignment.
It is very easy to kid yourself that the shafts are properly marked for later assembly, but lining up the button with the keyway is pretty foolproof.
That's a comfort!

I am now faced with removing the bearing and housing. Haynes recommends brute force. For a bearing that is intended to be re-used. I think that is bad advice.

However, I have new bearing and housing.

When I acquired a V70, the front wheel bearing was noisy. I bought spring compressors prior to changing it. After reading the procedure, I asked a garage to do it. Not often I exhibit such common sense! It was expensive.

Perhaps the spring compressors can be contrived to pull off the housing and avoid me having to make another widget!

Edit'-
Te spring compressors worked. I drilled a plate with two Ψ16 holes at the same separation distance as the compressor claws once seated on the shaft, took off one claw and reversed the other. It engaged nicely on the end of the bearing which came off without too much effort.

I don't understand why the female end of the spline has a gap without a wide tooth to slide into it. There is a hint of damage to the male spline with a little lump sticking up. I'll run a rotary scratch brush down the "teeth" to see if that eases the fit. At the moment, it ain't goin' anywhere!

Last edited by GrahamWright; Oct 21st, 2020 at 12:10.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 17:10   #14
GrahamWright

After cleaning the spline and removing the nib the joint slides together nicely.

Next problem. Checking on Youtube videos for tips, I find there are several assembly directions. The original which I am replacing had the large diameter metal shroud over the female spline. Some videos show it the other direction.
Does it matter?
The rubber dust cover sits on the male spline I am sure (but I could do with a new one which ebay isn't obliging with).
The two metal covers supplied with the housing are different from the originals. They can be fitted "pointing" outwards or inwards. Should they rotate with the shafts or be lodged in the housing?

I have looked in vain for exploded view diagrams.
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 18:53   #15
griston64
Premier Member

Is this any use https://weblisher.textalk.se/gcp/20160129-024/

Page 974 onwards
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 20:11   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamWright View Post

I don't understand why the female end of the spline has a gap without a wide tooth to slide into it. There is a hint of damage to the male spline with a little lump sticking up. I'll run a rotary scratch brush down the "teeth" to see if that eases the fit. At the moment, it ain't goin' anywhere!
You'll find there's something on the other half to create a matching keyway. That is so it goes back in the same rotational position.

Quote:
After cleaning the spline and removing the nib the joint slides together nicely.

Next problem. Checking on Youtube videos for tips, I find there are several assembly directions. The original which I am replacing had the large diameter metal shroud over the female spline. Some videos show it the other direction.
Does it matter?
The rubber dust cover sits on the male spline I am sure (but I could do with a new one which ebay isn't obliging with).
The two metal covers supplied with the housing are different from the originals. They can be fitted "pointing" outwards or inwards. Should they rotate with the shafts or be lodged in the housing?

I have looked in vain for exploded view diagrams.
Put it back as you found it, some earlier and later cars were different so be careful what you watch!

If the new bearing has "2Z" or "ZZ" on it, they are metal dust shields integral with the bearing - as such the extra rubber dust cover is not strictly necessary although nice to have.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 10:47   #17
GrahamWright

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Is this any use https://weblisher.textalk.se/gcp/20160129-024/

Page 974 onwards
Absolutely brilliant. Many thanks.
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 10:53   #18
GrahamWright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You'll find there's something on the other half to create a matching keyway. That is so it goes back in the same rotational position.

Mine is completely symmetrical but the cast knob agrees with the UJ orientation.

Put it back as you found it, some earlier and later cars were different so be careful what you watch!

If the new bearing has "2Z" or "ZZ" on it, they are metal dust shields integral with the bearing - as such the extra rubber dust cover is not strictly necessary although nice to have.
My bearing states ZE. The metal shields I think will only fit one way once I have the housing the right way round.

Thanks for the steer.
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 12:06   #19
GrahamWright

It's all back together again. The vibration at 30 mph has gone …………to be replaced by another starting at 40mph.

What have I done wrong. The splined joint is correctly mated.

Would it be correct to assume the pro-shaft is balanced in isolation from the vehicle? It would seem to be difficult on the car.

Perhaps, despite my confidence, the front and rear flanges have not mated in the original positions. Should this matter?
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 12:41   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
It's all back together again. The vibration at 30 mph has gone …………to be replaced by another starting at 40mph.

What have I done wrong. The splined joint is correctly mated.

Would it be correct to assume the pro-shaft is balanced in isolation from the vehicle? It would seem to be difficult on the car.

Perhaps, despite my confidence, the front and rear flanges have not mated in the original positions. Should this matter?
Crawl under the car with the right size spanner or socket for the bolts that secure the centre bearing to the floorpan. Loosen each by HALF A TURN ONLY.

Take the car for a drive, GENTLY accelerating to the speed where the vibration starts then let the car slow naturally to below this speed and return home. Avoid all harsh acceleration and braking while the bolts have been loosened.

Crawl under again and tighten a SMALL AMOUNT AT A TIME each bolt in turn until they are tight again. Take for another test drive to confirm the vibration has gone.

DO NOT JACK THE CAR to enable you to crawl under to reach the bolts. If necessary use a pair of ramps.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote