Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 Engine Light Despite Many New Parts-- out of ideas

Views : 872

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2020, 12:30   #1
GDPR
USER DELETED FOLLOWING GDPR REQUEST

Default C70 Engine Light Despite Many New Parts-- out of ideas

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2001 C70 2.4T which has a fabulous engine but manages to light its orange EML light sometimes. It always resets if I take the battery off.

The light can stay off for ages and then come on when cruising at a constant pretty low speed, around 30-40mph. On the other hand, this is the most reliable car I have had and I trusted it to take me to Switzerland and back during lock down and it didn't light up.
12 hours door-to-door at the maximum speed allowed on whatever road I was on (so 140kph on the GPS when possible, indicated approx. 88mph) and recorded an average MPG on this trip of high-20s.

I have had thecode read multiple times but sadly don't have it to hand as I've changed phone and lost the pic. It was always 3-way caltalyser efficiency

The car has has the PCV system replaced, including the heated pipe,
Injectors overhauled,
Properly serviced and running Castrol Edge oil and only drinking top grade fuel,
Lambda sensors-- both and proper Volvo ones as I've heard

Could the cat really be on its way out? The light used to stay off for months but now seems to come on more frequently but only at these low and constant throttle applications.

The engine is just superb, I can't fault it! Is there anything else on these cars I should be looking at replacing? I dont think I can justify buying a new Cat for it as I presume this is very expensive and the car runs just fine and doesn't seem any thirstier on fuel that the published figures suggest (not that it is good on fuel!).
GDPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 12:39   #2
GDPR

I should also add, that the car was read with a Vadis machince and had no codes of relavance to the engine at all (just the alarm siren battery) and the WTC light comes on and goes off as it should. In the service history, it has had a "new" (maybe just new to the car) wireless throttle body in the past.

I'm out of ideas now!
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 14:44   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

Can this be cured by using an oxygen sensor spacer? I'm sure someone here will have knowledge of this. Expensive from IPD, cheap on eBay.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 14:47   #4
GDPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Can this be cured by using an oxygen sensor spacer? I'm sure someone here will have knowledge of this. Expensive from IPD, cheap on eBay.
That's interesting. So it moved the probe away a little and reduces the strength of the CO reading?
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 20:37   #5
petercz

Probably wasn't read properly, if the engine light was on, some code must be stored in memory! Find someone with Vida and Dice tool...
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 03:57   #6
PNuT
MaDMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercz View Post
Probably wasn't read properly, if the engine light was on, some code must be stored in memory! Find someone with Vida and Dice tool...
I will have a look later, but I think I went to sort out the SRS light
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 10:10   #7
GDPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
I will have a look later, but I think I went to sort out the SRS light
Hello. Yes, you did sort out my SRS light which I'd latched on when changing the seats. Thanks for that. All good on that front!

When I say I've had the code read in regards to this intermittent EML, I mean by friends who are mechanics who hae expensive (but not VADIS) machines at thier work. I had them read it when the light was on, before I disconnect the battery to clear it.

If the VADIS can read historical faults then that would be a good next step too. When you came, I think it had been behavng for some time.
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 14:20   #8
GDPR

I've just re-read the thread ad realise that I've written about the codes in a confusing way.

To clarify:
When the EML is on, the code is read as 3-way catalyser efficiency
When the EML is reset, there are no active codes.
I believe it is triggered when a higher-than-the-limits allow CO content is detected post-cat. Most of the time it doesn't trigger the EML as it is only a continuous light application of the throttle that makes it come on (and stay latched on until reset).

I forgot to add that itr has also had a new coolant temperature sensor, just incase that was causing thengine ECU to read the wrong temp and set the mixture wrong
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 15:01   #9
sdg1970
Master Member

My old (ME7) V70 2.4T used to throw a relentless P0422 code. This happened after I fitted all new, gen Bosch 02 sensors and MAF to get rid of a 172 & 171 codes (amongst others, which I forget now). It never failed an mot on emissions subsequently, so I just used to check and cancel the code now and then and carry on.
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 15:32   #10
GDPR

Yeah, its very picky this post-cat limit isn't it!

Forgot to add also that the MAF was replaced by previous owner, so is only a few years old, but I did clean it with MAF cleaner.