Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

non starting 940

Views : 884

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2021, 19:24   #11
855 tdi
Master Member

Ok so bit of an update, using my dads camera on a wire I checked the fuel pump i'd fitted, firstly it definitely pumps, it made a priming noise after refitting and the solder on the fuel relay is all good. Despite my fuel pressure regulator looking a rusty mess, it seemed in working order but I still replaced it anyway, made no difference to starting.

I had a look at my rsr and it had no obvious bad connection or burnt pins etc, I have a listening device (no idea of name, sort of like a stethoscope) but I listened to the injectors and they click on cranking so i'm certain it's not the rsr. The tacho barely jumps when cranking so although I first thought it wasn't the crank position sensor i'm now leaning more towards this, as it's easy and will probably need replacement at some point it seems to make sense to get it done. My gf needs her car back soon so I have a week or so to fix this and book an mot or i'll have to buy a car so i'm against the clock.

Volvo 855 TDI 228,000M (sold) Volvo V70 2.5D 218,000m (sold)
Volvo 745 GLE 129,000M (Tankenstein) Volvo 940 SE HPT 115,000M
855 tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 855 tdi For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 22:18   #12
Ian21401
Premier Member

I’ve been watching this thread with interest. You must be extremely frustrated by now. If I’m completely off the mark just tell me to get lost.
It appears that fuel is not reaching the engine so it will never start.
TonyS9 referred to it in post#3.
Given that the replacement used fuel pump seems to be working.
Have you established that the fuel line from the pump is clear and the fuel that it is trying to pump has somewhere to go?
Is your fuel filter underneath the nearside floor and is the pump managing to pump fuel as far as the filter?
If fuel is reaching the filter is there a blockage after the filter?
I’ve never needed to do it but, is it possible to disconnect the fuel pipe supplying the fuel rail and check that fuel is being pumped as far as that.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.

Last edited by Ian21401; Mar 6th, 2021 at 22:25. Reason: Add text.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 09:17   #13
855 tdi
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
I’ve been watching this thread with interest. You must be extremely frustrated by now. If I’m completely off the mark just tell me to get lost.
It appears that fuel is not reaching the engine so it will never start.
TonyS9 referred to it in post#3.
Given that the replacement used fuel pump seems to be working.
Have you established that the fuel line from the pump is clear and the fuel that it is trying to pump has somewhere to go?
Is your fuel filter underneath the nearside floor and is the pump managing to pump fuel as far as the filter?
If fuel is reaching the filter is there a blockage after the filter?
I’ve never needed to do it but, is it possible to disconnect the fuel pipe supplying the fuel rail and check that fuel is being pumped as far as that.
Definitely getting frustrated, any ideas/help are always appreciated, I honestly haven't checked again to see if fuel came through, mostly due to the faff of mucking with the fuel pump yesterday and my job meaning my hands are currently cut to bits from my job delivering roofing sheets after a customer refusing to help unload and moving them at all hurts. I did however have fuel in the pressure regulator so I do think it's getting through. Also no idea why there would be a blockage of anything but air, tanks plastic so no rust as i've had with motorbikes and the fuel wasn't low enough to suck anything nasty through, obviously I could be wrong but not sure how i'd clear a blockage if there was one. I did research air in the lines but most people seemed to think it shouldn't be a problem on a petrol car..

Volvo 855 TDI 228,000M (sold) Volvo V70 2.5D 218,000m (sold)
Volvo 745 GLE 129,000M (Tankenstein) Volvo 940 SE HPT 115,000M
855 tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 855 tdi For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 10:24   #14
TonyS9
Premier Member

The rev counter won't move much as the rpms are very low, any movement is good. If you want to check sparks properly, the inline lights are pretty good value.

If the CPS isn't working you won't get sparks, injectors or fuel during cranking. It's just a coil of wire, if it has any resistance it is working.

There is little benefit in checking solder condition etc unless you have identified a faulty part. You need to diagnose what isn't working first, ie fuel pressure and sparks.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 12:05   #15
Ian21401
Premier Member

In the olden days before cars had computers I was taught, if the engine won’t start it has to be fuel or ignition. I”m just a nosey interested bystander with some daft suggestions.
First check fuel is being supplied. (I don’t understand why a faulty CPS would prevent fuel being pumped.) If that is the case then try hot wiring the pump to check for fuel being pumped to and arriving at the fuel rail. If it is then that is one problem eliminated. You will not need to worry about clearing any blockage if it has been shown that there is no blockage.
Then move on to the fuel pressure regulator, about which I know very little.
Just a thought, my 1992 940 is reported to be fitted with a Fuel ECU behind the driver’s footwell side panel. That hasn’t been mentioned yet. That’s another item about which I know little or nothing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 12:29   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
In the olden days before cars had computers I was taught, if the engine won’t start it has to be fuel or ignition. I”m just a nosey interested bystander with some daft suggestions.
First check fuel is being supplied. (I don’t understand why a faulty CPS would prevent fuel being pumped.) If that is the case then try hot wiring the pump to check for fuel being pumped to and arriving at the fuel rail. If it is then that is one problem eliminated. You will not need to worry about clearing any blockage if it has been shown that there is no blockage.
Then move on to the fuel pressure regulator, about which I know very little.
Just a thought, my 1992 940 is reported to be fitted with a Fuel ECU behind the driver’s footwell side panel. That hasn’t been mentioned yet. That’s another item about which I know little or nothing.
Good call getting back to basics Ian, the reason why a faulty CPS prevents fuel being delivered is actually very simple although at first glance seems complicated. In short, it provides pulses to the EZK (ignition ECU) unit which in turn sends the firing signal to the ignition amplifier module. It also tells the fuel ECU that the engine is turning and the fuel ECU then triggers the fuel pump relay to switch on.

The good thing from this is the engine shouldn't (in theory at least) flood if the CPS is faulty.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 12:44   #17
Ian21401
Premier Member

Thanks for that explanation Dave.
So to bypass all those items, hot wire fuel pump to establish whether fuel is being supplied. If so move on to each of those items in turn.
Ignition Amplifier and RSR would be the easiest ( and possibly the cheapest) first, then the CPS and then. hopefully not, the ECUs.
Has there been a fault code check done?

Last edited by Ian21401; Mar 7th, 2021 at 12:49.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2021, 12:55   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for that explanation Dave.
So to bypass all those items, hot wire fuel pump to establish whether fuel is being supplied. If so move on to each of those items in turn.
Ignition Amplifier and RSR would be the easiest ( and possibly the cheapest) first, then the CPS and then. hopefully not, the ECUs.
Has there been a fault code check done?
You're welcome Ian, that's about the size of it. Also on the late cars (96 on if memory serves) the RSR also supplies the coil so could be the culprit although i think this was checked earlier in the thread.

Not sure on the fault code check although sometimes one fault not listed can trigger another one to come up, for example a non-functioning fuel pump (for whatever reason) can often trigger a MAF code because the ECU thinks everything is correct but the MAF isn't reporting increased airflow from the engine starting.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 09:54   #19
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Ignition

The attention has now all been on the fuel system as the moving tachometer needle suggests the ignition is working. However, the tachometer is connected to the ignition module and primary coil (LT part). The fact it is moving does not necessarily mean the HT part is actually working.
Did you already check if the spark plugs are actually sparking? I am thinking more in line of a common failure for all four cylinders like the distributor of HT lead between distributor and igition coil. Or maybe even the coil iitself.
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post: