Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General > V40/XC '12> Articles

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

battery run down

Views : 1458

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2020, 21:35   #1
ninman

Default battery run down

I have a 1998 V40 which, though elderly, has only done some 70k miles.
However if it is not used for 3 days the battery will not start the engine,despite having a new battery. I have tried to locate the problem by taking a reading of the amperage leaving the battery when everything is switch off and find that it is 3 amps. For some time there has been a problem with the warning lights and warning alarm activating for no reason when the car is parked. has anyone else had this problem? and if so has anyone some suggestions?
ninman
ninman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 13:05   #2
BorderVolvo

With your ammeter connected, if you remove and replace the fuses one by one until you identify which circuit the drain is on......then you'll be a step closer to finding the problem.
Maybe something as simple as a courtesy light/door switch issue??
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 13:13   #3
seanc

If this is anything like my old Honda Civic, the alarm siren has "backup" batteries in it. When they expire - which I expect they have on a 1997 car, they can cause all sorts of havoc with the alarm, and start to drain the main car battery too.
I'd see if you can find a fuse for the alarm siren to remove or and unplug the siren completely and see if your problem goes away.
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 13:54   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninman View Post
However if it is not used for 3 days the battery will not start the engine,despite having a new battery. I have tried to locate the problem by taking a reading of the amperage leaving the battery when everything is switch off and find that it is 3 amps. For some time there has been a problem with the warning lights and warning alarm activating for no reason when the car is parked. has anyone else had this problem? and if so has anyone some suggestions?
ninman
3 amps is a lot , 36 watts a boot light or glovebox light is only 1/4 amp

have you got a brake vacuum pump behind the left front wing ?
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 16:19   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninman View Post
ninman
3 amps is a lot , 36 watts a boot light or glovebox light is only 1/4 amp

have you got a brake vacuum pump behind the left front wing ?