Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 rear shock absorbers

Views : 1567

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2021, 18:33   #11
Kev0607
Premier Member

Front shock absorbers, spring seats & bearings have been ordered.

Does anyone know whether the whole skuttle panel at the bottom of the windscreen needs to be removed to access the bolts holding the shock absorbers in place in the engine bay or not?

There’s two see through plastic grids that I can see over the upper strut bolts, but it looks as if the whole panel needs to be removed to access them.

It’d be easier if those little grids somehow come loose, but it doesn’t seem like that’s an option?

Last edited by Kev0607; Feb 10th, 2021 at 18:39.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 19:34   #12
Kev0607
Premier Member

UPDATE

New shock absorbers, spring seats & bearings arrived recently.

I didn't have to undo the whole skuttle panel. I just unclipped it away from the body on either side of the car & lifted it enough to gain access to the strut mounting bolts, so its still more or less in place.

What a pain replacing the shocks! I should have brought it to a garage... I now understand why a garage charges a hefty labour fee to do this work. Although, the figures they charged seemed reasonable considering the time it has taken with rusty bolts etc.

Shock absorber replacement looks a far easier task on P2 models. Don't be thinking replacement on P3 models is the same because it isn't. Similar yes, but more time consuming for sure.

Last edited by Kev0607; Feb 18th, 2021 at 19:37.
Old Feb 22nd, 2021, 21:42   #13
Kev0607
Premier Member

UPDATE X2

Front Shock absorbers, spring seats & bearings have been replaced on my Dad's P3 V70 (Ordered from Mill Volvo, so genuine parts).

I've never replaced a shock absorber before. Its safe to say that you'll need to budget yourself a good few hours to get the hang of things, if you've never done it before that is. Once one side is done, the other will be quicker.

You need a fairly decent set of tools/items for this job though, including things such as;
  • Penetrating fluid (apply the night before doing the work ideally & allow it to speak. Apply a generous amount to the nuts/bolts you're removing & where the shock joints the spindle in particular, as that took a lot of hammering to get out!).
  • A breaker bar
  • Spring compressors
  • Hammer
  • Impact gun
  • Hex head sockets for counterholds of the drop links & track rod ends
  • Jacks & jack stands
  • A decent set of sockets (impact ones ideally), including a variety of ratchet sizes & ratchet spanners
  • Pry bar
  • Ratchet straps to lower the control arms to remove the shocks from the spindles (if not undoing the ball joint). You can remove the ball joint if you wish, but you need to have a tool to do it. The socket that holds the ball joint in place is 21mm, but the ball joint itself is wider. I think you'll need some kind of adjustable removal tool, as most places like Halfords only sell ones that open to 18mm & that won't work. You could use a pickle fork, but there's a risk of damaging the boot.

No more knocking over bumps (bearings were knackered, as were the shocks themselves). Replacing them has made a massive difference, so I'm very happy & so is my Dad (its his car).

Last edited by Kev0607; Feb 22nd, 2021 at 21:52.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 14:03   #14
john493
Spannering since birth

I fitted a set of 4 Bilstein B4 shocks from PartsforVolvo last year, they were a good price for a full set, also fitted slightly lower Eibach springs at the same time.
As on many cars, the rears are an easy job but the fronts are time-consuming.

I'm still not that impressed with the handling of the car - the suspension could be firmer on the bends.

I know there are better shocks than the B4s available, any suggestions welcome. As always, it's a trade-off between handling & comfort of the ride.
(GS Addict)
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 15:59   #15
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john493 View Post
I fitted a set of 4 Bilstein B4 shocks from PartsforVolvo last year, they were a good price for a full set, also fitted slightly lower Eibach springs at the same time.
As on many cars, the rears are an easy job but the fronts are time-consuming.

I'm still not that impressed with the handling of the car - the suspension could be firmer on the bends.

I know there are better shocks than the B4s available, any suggestions welcome. As always, it's a trade-off between handling & comfort of the ride.
Yep, the rear shock absorbers are a doddle to fit. Its the front ones that take the time.

I nearly went for the Bilstein's, but decided to stay with what was originally fitted to the car.

Although, I could find no markings on the ones purchased (apart from a Volvo sticker because I purchased them from a dealership at trade price), I think the original ones fitted to the car were made by Sachs. I suspect these ones I purchased are Sachs, but with a Volvo badge.

The ride is very comfortable. I didn't fit new springs, as the ones on the car weren't cracked & seemed to be in very good condition. I suspect at some point in time prior to my dad owning the car, they (the springs) may have been changed.

The V70 is a big/heavy car & I've found they have a tendency to wollow a bit in the bends anyway... they aren't sports cars after all. Although, since fitting the new shock absorbers, its made a big difference to the handling/comfort in general.

My advice would be to buy genuine ones. They aren't cheap, but well worth it in my opinion.

Last edited by Kev0607; Feb 23rd, 2021 at 16:04.
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 13:45   #16
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john493 View Post
I suspect that is why Volvo offer the 4C adjustable suspension option. I have 4C and run the system almost permanently in "Advanced", the hardest ride setting, as I'm used to sports GT cars, but I cannot detect wallow in that setting and the handling is precise and safe even at speed through bends. My dread is the cost of replacement 4C components.
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 14:00   #17
leminex

In our country we have some of them. In serbian just search on google volvo delovi beograd and you can find.
leminex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 16:42   #18
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
I suspect that is why Volvo offer the 4C adjustable suspension option. I have 4C and run the system almost permanently in "Advanced", the hardest ride setting, as I'm used to sports GT cars, but I cannot detect wallow in that setting and the handling is precise and safe even at speed through bends. My dread is the cost of replacement 4C components.
Its £500 plus per 4c shock absorber easy (if using genuine parts).

Its just too much to justify going for a car with 4c suspension. Unless you buy one that's had the shock absorbers replaced already (if you're lucky), or purchased a car with very low mileage, or don't mind spending big money to replace them when they do fail.

Last edited by Kev0607; Feb 24th, 2021 at 16:45.
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 19:39   #19
Tatsfield
Premier Member

And it is perceived wisdom to always replace shocks in pairs so as to maintain even handling from side to side. £1000 for a pair? Ouch.
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 22:29   #20
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
And it is perceived wisdom to always replace shocks in pairs so as to maintain even handling from side to side. £1000 for a pair? Ouch.
Very expensive indeed, hence why I'll stay clear of the 4C system.