Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General > XC90 '02–'15 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wanted - previously loved XC90

Views : 1681

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 23rd, 2020, 14:52   #1
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Default Wanted - previously loved XC90

Love is no substitute for solid metal and my V70 has succumbed to the dreaded worm. Frankly it's unsaveable considering it's already been written off In addition, I've just found out my back is totally beggared and I'll prob end up under the knife in the new year - oh joy!

So, I'm now looking for a manual, diesel XC90 in fine fettle. From what I've seen in dealers around the UK, my budget looks like it'd be sufficient for around a 2010 model. Ideally, I'd like proper leather seating (rather than the lightweight half & half rubbish that falls apart as soon as you look at it), a light coloured interior & decent bluetooth or pre-installed phone.

Happy to travel or have transported. If anyone sees or knows of one I'd be eternally grateful

TIA Dave

all cars everywhere are a perpetual work in progress...
YorkshireDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 12:53   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireDave View Post

So, I'm now looking for a manual, diesel XC90 in fine fettle. From what I've seen in dealers around the UK, my budget looks like it'd be sufficient for around a 2010 model. Ideally, I'd like proper leather seating (rather than the lightweight half & half rubbish that falls apart as soon as you look at it), a light coloured interior & decent bluetooth or pre-installed phone.

TIA Dave
Just out of interest why do you want a manual car (especially as you may have back issues) ?

E-bay is your friend here as you can filter search results on manual /automatic etc. I think you can do that on Autotrader too. However as you've probably noticed most late model manuals are poverty "active" spec with fake flakey half leather.

I think I'm correct in saying that manuals weren't available for the last 1 or 2 years of production.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 13:23   #3
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Just out of interest why do you want a manual car (especially as you may have back issues) ?

E-bay is your friend here as you can filter search results on manual /automatic etc. I think you can do that on Autotrader too. However as you've probably noticed most late model manuals are poverty "active" spec with fake flakey half leather.

I think I'm correct in saying that manuals weren't available for the last 1 or 2 years of production.
Only cos I like 'driving' rather than being conveyed. The other two contributory factors at play in the decision are: fuel consumption and cost of ownership.

I'm afraid I cannot agree that ebay is anyone's friend! Like most of these sales places, they are largely infested with sharks of all sizes with the occasional honest humble gold fish deeply hidden among them.

Old Dec 31st, 2020, 14:56   #4
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Only cos I like 'driving' rather than being conveyed. The other two contributory factors at play in the decision are: fuel consumption and cost of ownership.

If fuel consumption is in any way an issue, then compared to your V70 D5 163 bhp manual you are in for a major shock.

As for cost of ownership, all of the XC range are far more costly to run overall than the 2 wheel drive models as there is far more that requires attention and can potentially be costly to repair.

All of that said, I really like my XC90 and hope you find one that you are happy with because they are a good car.

I travelled about 1500 miles over a few months viewing poorly described 90's and then finally dropped onto mine within a few miles of home.

Once bought and prior to using it, i spent a couple of weeks and went through everything including cambelt kit, auxiliary belt kit, gearbox , angle gear and haldex fluid changes, couple of engine mounts etc etc so that I knew it would hopefully require little more doing for quite a while.

That has been the case but it helps enormously from a financial point of view if you can do the work yourself.

I've had it 3 years and it's been a good car.👍

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Dec 31st, 2020 at 15:57.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 19:13   #5
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
If fuel consumption is in any way an issue, then compared to your V70 D5 163 bhp manual you are in for a major shock
That's indeed my point. Best to get the best I can

Old Dec 31st, 2020, 19:42   #6
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

That's fine so long as you understand that you will be averaging about 26mpg 😁

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 20:58   #7
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:

I'm afraid I cannot agree that ebay is anyone's friend! Like most of these sales places, they are largely infested with sharks of all sizes with the occasional honest humble gold fish deeply hidden among them.
To be fair if you like driving I would reconsider the XC90. I have a mint 2012 bought from Volvo direct a few years ago with the 200HP D5. I adore it but you never ‘Drive’ an XC90, they waft along till you get to a bend where you will find even spirited driving will result in enormous body roll!

Also worth considering is the Aisin Warner Automatics which are hugely reliable and the cost of a clutch on the manual which could cost a fortune! You could probably afford a nice 2012 for the price of a 2010 with manual and a clutch replacement.

Also remember the later 2011/2012 is much more economical, slightly quicker (15BHP more) etc etc.

Just my opinion of course.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 21:01   #8
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
That's fine so long as you understand that you will be averaging about 26mpg 😁
Really good point. My 2012 will easily do 32MPG, maybe 1 or 2 more on a run. And 28 or 29 on local runs. But that’s the later
More economical model.

That’s all calculated and not of the computer which tells me it’s higher.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 16:41   #9
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
To be fair if you like driving I would reconsider the XC90. I have a mint 2012 bought from Volvo direct a few years ago with the 200HP D5. I adore it but you never ‘Drive’ an XC90, they waft along till you get to a bend where you will find even spirited driving will result in enormous body roll!

Also worth considering is the Aisin Warner Automatics which are hugely reliable and the cost of a clutch on the manual which could cost a fortune! You could probably afford a nice 2012 for the price of a 2010 with manual and a clutch replacement.

Also remember the later 2011/2012 is much more economical, slightly quicker (15BHP more) etc etc.

Just my opinion of course.
Hmm. Points I'd not really considered - especially re the later engine & economy. Thank you.
Question then. Assuming the flywheel is a dual mass, is it possible, as it is on so many other vehicles today, to go back to a std flywheel & clutch plate?

Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 16:54   #10
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Hmm. Points I'd not really considered - especially re the later engine & economy. Thank you.
Question then. Assuming the flywheel is a dual mass, is it possible, as it is on so many other vehicles today, to go back to a std flywheel & clutch plate?
That’s an interesting question. I am not sure. One comment I would say is that whilst single mass flywheels are often fitted in place of dual mass it’s never really considered ‘good practice’. My take on the situation is that back when cars has single or dual mass you could change them. But the dual mass models later actually do damp and prevent loads etc and that single mass is not a good idea.

I like manuals quite a lot and the XC90 I currently have is the only auto I have ever owned on 20 years of driving but I would think an XC90 a terrible car to run. They ‘roll’ like mad on corners, make a lot of noise under full throttle and don’t actually go that quick. However they are sublime on motorways and cruising etc.

You may find a manual a bit more challenging to find and also harder to sell on. If you want a manual then buy that but certainly on the year I purchased they didn’t even do one.

Personally there is no way I would retrofit a dual mass with a single mass as I would be concerned at the lack of low Rev damping and that it would damage engine mounts, brackets and put high wear on other items.

I would defo buy another manual but not on an XC90 personally.
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:

Tags
xc90