Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2014 2.4 diesel - what to look out for

Views : 923

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2021, 14:17   #1
hora1

Default 2014 2.4 diesel - what to look out for

I've always wanted a V70. Maybe I want to feel like a motorway cop but it needs to be done.

What major issues should I be aware of.

What big bills can lurk and how to look out for them and....

Any aftermarket warranty recommendations?

Thanks 😊
hora1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 16:16   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

V70's are great cars. My choice would be the D5 (5 cylinder engine).

The big service on these is the 10 year/108k one (on the D5 engine) - Which includes a full service, plus the cam belt, auxiliary belt & tensioner. That can be quite an expensive job if a main dealer is doing it.

With regards to things to look out for;

-Knocks from the suspension (front strut mounts are a common failure).

-Listen for squeaks from the back end of the vehicle - This could be the rear trailing arm bushes, which are common to perish & need replacing.

-Make sure the transmission shifts smooth (automatic) - You may need a gearbox fluid change. Although, this won't solve an underlying transmission issue. If its severely clunking when changing gear, then it could be a more serious issue & I'd walk away then. If buying manual, then make sure the clutch is fully operational etc.

Windscreen leaks - The seal around the windscreen can leak, causing water ingress inside the car.

Then check the usual things like all the electric windows work, air con, heated seats etc.

Buy a vehicle that has full service history too, if possible.

I can't help with the warranty side of things, but someone else may know more about them.

Last edited by Kev0607; Feb 27th, 2021 at 16:23.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 18:52   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Only comment I would make is that the 10 year service should be done by yourself in the drive. It’s a very easy job.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 12:28   #4
hora1

I have one key, is it a main dealer only job to create a second?

Thanks so far
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 12:33   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hora1 View Post
I have one key, is it a main dealer only job to create a second?

Thanks so far
Yes , volvo's security it right at the top .
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 07:10   #6
hora1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
V70's are great cars. My choice would be the D5 (5 cylinder engine).

The big service on these is the 10 year/108k one (on the D5 engine) - Which includes a full service, plus the cam belt, auxiliary belt & tensioner. That can be quite an expensive job if a main dealer is doing it.

With regards to things to look out for;

-Knocks from the suspension (front strut mounts are a common failure).

-Listen for squeaks from the back end of the vehicle - This could be the rear trailing arm bushes, which are common to perish & need replacing.

-Make sure the transmission shifts smooth (automatic) - You may need a gearbox fluid change. Although, this won't solve an underlying transmission issue. If its severely clunking when changing gear, then it could be a more serious issue & I'd walk away then. If buying manual, then make sure the clutch is fully operational etc.

Windscreen leaks - The seal around the windscreen can leak, causing water ingress inside the car.

Then check the usual things like all the electric windows work, air con, heated seats etc.

Buy a vehicle that has full service history too, if possible.

I can't help with the warranty side of things, but someone else may know more about them.
Thank you. Say budget 200-500 a year for servicing at a indie/mount/bushes?

I've read lots of reviews saying it's a big car and feels it....but my new shape Passat estate is a big car/I didn't notice.

Cars a manual
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 17:26   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

My only add would be to check all electrics, from every light to every electric window and door lock.

They are not unreliable by any means - but can be expensive to fix in the unlikely event they do go wrong.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 17:38   #8
hora1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
My only add would be to check all electrics, from every light to every electric window and door lock.

They are not unreliable by any means - but can be expensive to fix in the unlikely event they do go wrong.

Can a decent indie or auto electrician fix if one does?

Or is it inevitably a main dealer trip?
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 19:33   #9
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Find (get a recommendation for) a good Volvo Indy. No need to have your pants pulled down by main dealers (although as you read/search on forum you'll see that for some jobs they are surprisingly competitive)
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 15:58   #10
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you. Say budget 200-500 a year for servicing at a indie/mount/bushes?

I've read lots of reviews saying it's a big car and feels it....but my new shape Passat estate is a big car/I didn't notice.

Cars a manual
It depends what needs doing. Bushes aren't going to fail every single year, so once replaced, they should last you a long time.

Servicing wise, you're looking at £150 for a basic oil & oil filter change (independent). A major service would cost around £300 at an independent.

Main dealers would probably charge significantly more for servicing, but its best to check because sometimes they can be competitively priced. For example, a basic service at a dealer & a basic one at an independent I've found is similarly priced. This isn't the case for major services though (main dealer is much more expensive).

So from a servicing perspective, if an independent is doing the work for you, then budget £150-£300 per year (this is just for servicing, nothing else). Anything like tyres or other items that may fail/need replacing would be additional.

I think a V70 is a bigger car than a Passat, also heavier & that may explain why you read reviews saying it feels like a big car. This is also the reason why suspension parts wear, particularly on the front end.

Hallmark Volvo in Stockport is a good independent garage. They're reasonably priced & know what they're doing! They have the Volvo diagnostics equipment, so can diagnose/identify issues using that.

Quote:
Can a decent indie or auto electrician fix if one does?

Or is it inevitably a main dealer trip?
A decent indie should be able to fix any electrical issues. Just make sure that you test all the electrics before purchase (door locks, key(s), electric windows, electric seats, all lights etc).

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 10th, 2021 at 16:02.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote