Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 2.3 LPT Automatic

Views : 761

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 20:54   #1
davidalanbatt

Default 940 2.3 LPT Automatic

I have recently bought my first Volvo, a 1996 2.3 Turbo (52,000 miles) and would be grateful for your advice on the automatic gearbox. The handbook states that the button on the back of the auto change lever switches the gearbox between third and fourth gear. However, nothing happens when I depress this button and there is no dash warning light as the handbook illustrates. At 75mph, the engine is at 4000rpm, does this sound about right?
In addition, the accelerator pedal seems very heavy compared to other cars I have owned. Is this a Volvo trait?
Thanks for your replies.
Paul
davidalanbatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 21:35   #2
George Holmer

My pedal is light enough for me but I do know that automatics can appear heavier than manuals as you are in effect pulling one more wire.

As for the gearbox, your overdrive is broken. 75 mpg should be around 3000 rpm. The overdrive fault could be the button, relay, wiring, contacts, hard to say but I would check out the relay first and if you have access to a lift, the wiring on the box.

1995 Volvo 945 LPT Auto
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 22:52   #3
davidalanbatt

Default RE: 940 2.3 LPT Automatic

George,
You are a hero!
I have just been out in a gale to check the car and found that the O/D relay was loose in it's socket. On pushing it in, the 'arrow' light has illuminated, so i am sure that has solved the problem.
many thanks
Paul
davidalanbatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 22:59   #4
George Holmer

It is so nice to fix something major for nothing, it makes one smile. Pour yourself something strong and pat yourself on the back. Imagine what a dealer would have charged.

1995 Volvo 945 LPT Auto