Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

TPMS Stem galvanic corrosion.

Views : 561

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2020, 22:20   #1
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Default TPMS Stem galvanic corrosion.

I have been meaning to put some air in my tyres for a few weeks now so at lunchtime I decided to go out and try it. I have Volvo built in TPMS but also I fitted my own aftermarket valve cap stem top sensors which are better than the Volvo system as they give a PSI readout, temparature readout and all with upper and lower limit alarms with rapid deflate alarm. I have had some minor trouble in the past removing the cap locking ring but today was especially bad since I have not had them off for about a year. Big mistake. I could not get enough force on them to remove the ring which retains the caps on. When I did, the whole alloy stem sheared off and rapidly deflated the tyre. The compressor and gunk supplied by Volvo to rectify this would have been useless. I had heard of horror stories of people being stranded with no spare wheel so that was one of the first things I bought when I got this car. Replacement valve stem from Volvo £23. Replacement valve stems from eBay for FOUR for £15. The need was great so I ordered one from Volvo. However I sense the same happening to the remaining 3.

I am soaking them in penetrating oil for a few days then hold the brass lock ring with mole grips in the hope it squishes them enough to leave a minute gap to let the fluid seep in to the threads. Galvanic corrosion is a huge problem for TPMS stems and why contructed using alloy? Lots of threads on the subject if you care to investigate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tpms shredder.jpg (90.8 KB, 30 views)

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 86000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301

Last edited by ShadeTek; Feb 26th, 2020 at 22:23.
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 08:36   #2
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

yes, I had exactly that on my S80 (I'd retrofitted the Volvo TPMS). Fortunately I had a spare wheel. Tyre centres have these valves available now, can't remember how much, around £10 or £15 from memory. No need to buy Volvo. If I still had the car, my plan was to replace them every two tyre refits over tht years.

My current S90 doesn't have these valves (the TPMS done by speed comparison).
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Wildsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 19:51   #3
pelagicskipper

I use copper grease on the threads.
pelagicskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pelagicskipper For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 02:31   #4
Bashy
Aged Member

Thats the problem with these cheapo aftermarket sensors, the locking ring seizes on and its the same on them all on amazon, just read the reviews. I am sure some have swapped the ring for another type with some success.
I read that its an anti theft feature? if so, wouldnt it be cheaper to leave the ring off and just replace them if stolen compared to the damage and time wasted?

I really want to have TPMS again, its one of the few features i miss from the Laguna, but its this corrosion thats put me off them, i quite like the android app version
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 21:08   #5
ShadeTek
Premier Member

It would be interesting to know if the onboard Volvo TPMS sensors transmitted temperature information and that they could also be linked to an aftermarket sensor.

Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 13:03   #6
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Here is my fix to reduce corrosion in the future. Use a plastic nut instead of a brass one, not installed yet in the picture, put a rubber o-ring between the plastic locking nut and the TPMS valve and tighten but not too much. Cover in grease or silicon to keep any road salt off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tpms valve.jpg (59.1 KB, 7 views)

Tags
shredder valve