Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

USB port does nothing....?

Views : 1741

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2020, 19:15   #1
A965MBV

Default USB port does nothing....?

Hi,

Bear with me please, first time posting on this forum. Previous owner of an S60 D5 SE which was a beast, then i was lost in the Luton wilderness for 15 years, now found my way back to Sweden with a 60 plate C30 S.

Lovely car in Flamenco Red (?), shame that the Premium stereo from the S60 didn't find it's way into the C30 with it's Performance set up.

My issue however, and reason for being on here - Volvo say there was a USB and AUX option available for the 60 plate, and mine has both in the centre console cubby hole, but the USB neither works, charges, or appears on the head unit mode options when flicking between CD and Aux.

Is there an easy way to diagnose? Does it have USB or is it a dummy? I see from the wiring diagram that the USB goes via a connector into the 'Integrated Audio Module' (head unit?) but I've not physically checked the wiring.

Any help obviously greatly appreciated!
A965MBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 23:33   #2
A965MBV

Anyone?
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 09:03   #3
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by A965MBV View Post
Anyone?
audio options and connections have been discussed at length on here so a search should give some help. Regarding your particular issue it could be many things. Maybe as simple as someone has swapped out the centre console at some point with one with a USB blank. I'd contact a dealer to get the full specification for your car, to first check if it indeed came with USB. If a yes, then spend time diagnosing. Otherwise you could spend hours chasing a ghost
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 12:56   #4
big yinn

What size of USB drive are you using? IIRC they don't always work if over 2Gb in size.
big yinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 20:27   #5
A965MBV

Hi, many thanks for replying, I've had a look via Google at this site and Swedesport(?) and can't find, but I'll search from within the site also.

Volvo are unable to say exactly what spec (although they did correctly tell me 2 options it does have, but the do say the Aux USB inputs were optional on my model, and both ports are in the centre console, however only the Aux features on the Mode toggle.

I wondered whether there was a check I could do, for instance I saw Fuse 43 which amongst others powers Accessory USB Unit, and USB port, but this fuse is present.

I've got the wiring schematics but only the Premium, not the Performance which mine is.

Would VIDA tell me what's connected?

Thanks again.
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 18:24   #6
MacV50
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A965MBV View Post
I wondered whether there was a check I could do, for instance I saw Fuse 43 which amongst others powers Accessory USB Unit, and USB port, but this fuse is present.
Have you checked the fuse fior continuity? Might look ok but be blown or it could just be a bad connection so worth taking out to properly check

My 2012 V50 had both and they both worked and showed in the menu.
MacV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 21:44   #7
A965MBV

Need to spend some time investigating, have to wait for the monsoon season to pass.
Update in due course.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 15:07   #8
A965MBV

Hmmmm.
Had a good look this morning.
Aux port in the centre console works. USB doesn't, also not on the Mide scroll list on the display.

Head unit 'appears' to be the standard Performance one (E)34W635H/DY 1VW717A-T written on top of the unit

Diagram for USB as the optional extra doesn't say what the wiring between the port and the 'additional USB unit' looks like, but it does show the orange canbus wiring going from the head unit to the AUU, then to the display.
My canbus goes to and from the head unit/display module, and goes nowhere else.

However the USB wiring from the port is a grey shielded one, which ties in with the High Performance wiring. But mine isn't that version!

Can't see where the grey cable runs to, giving it up as a non starter.

I'll get some CD-RWs instead, or a player for the Aux.
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 15:08   #9
A965MBV

Hmmmm.
Had a good look this morning.
Aux port in the centre console works. USB doesn't, also not on the Mode scroll list on the display.

Head unit 'appears' to be the standard Performance one (E)34W635H/DY 1VW717A-T written on top of the unit

Diagram for USB as the optional extra doesn't say what the wiring between the port and the 'additional USB unit' looks like, but it does show the orange canbus wiring going from the head unit to the AUU, then to the display.
My canbus goes to and from the head unit/display module, and goes nowhere else.

However the USB wiring from the port is a grey shielded one, which ties in with the High Performance wiring. But mine isn't that version!

Can't see where the grey cable runs to, giving it up as a non starter.

I'll get some CD-RWs instead, or a player for the Aux.
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 17:38   #10
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile full fat or ntfs ?

A quick and easy test, would be see if there is 5v across the outermost pins of the 4 pins on the dodgey usb port, might prove nothing but if no power there then you know something is not correct... if you have a usb drive with an led on it makes this easy to see..

Also try some small usb sticks, and take a look at how they are formatted incase they are non fat16 format like ntfs, no idea what flavour and bitrate the volvo audio likes but its something to try out, old 1 2 or 4gb drives are a good place to start, bear in mind in 2010 your average drive was a fraction of the size of what is normal today

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c30, usb, wiring