Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Japanese V70 Import Purchase Help

Views : 735

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 17:16   #1
joetothphoto

Default Japanese V70 Import Purchase Help

Well, I've lurked for awhile and I thought I should join and get as much knowledge from other Volvo owners here.

I am in the process of buying a Volvo V70 2.0 T5 SE Lux Powershift from a dealership near me. It is a Japanese import and in amazing condition.

A couple of questions I wanted to ask and I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

A couple of things I want to do in order to make this an enjoyable family car and driving experience for me is... tune the engine for starters. I called several main dealers near me and I got different answers from each of them. To be fair they all sounded like they couldn't be bothered or had no clue. I wanted to go the Polestar route as I could have the software updated at the same time. But one dealer said they won't touch it for that reason.

So, I might just be looking a company that does ECU remapping for Volvos. But if I can have the cars software updated, should I do this and is it possible on Japanese imports?

Secondly, the company I am buying from has a very good reputation. If they tell me the car has had a full service, should I still take it to a garage that deals with Volvos and have it looked over?

Finally, I have read loads about the V70 lacklustre driving in the city. The car will be mainly used for road trips and the occasional trip into town. A few people here have mentioned sway bars as a good starting point. Can anyone recommend online companies that sell what I need and any garages that can help with the installation of such products if I decide to upgrade the suspension further?

Thanks again.
joetothphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joetothphoto For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 20:44   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

I can't help with the update/Polestar side of things.

With regards to sway bars, you can get them from places like parts for Volvo website. Very reasonable prices and they'll deliver the parts to your doorstep. Just search your car model and year from the drop down menu and search under suspension.

Just another thing worth mentioning, the Powershift transmission is garbage. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I wouldn't touch one of those with a barge pole. Unless it has records of being serviced properly with the correct fluid and filter, I'd walk away. Being honest, even if it had records of being serviced, I still wouldn't buy one. You need the proper 6 speed auto, not the Powershift.

As for getting the car looked over. Where possible, I'd advise you do it. I think its certainly worth getting it looked over by a Volvo professional before parting with any money.

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 23rd, 2024 at 20:46.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 21:45   #3
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

iv run a powershift for the last 8 years they are not quite as bad as kev says i would say they are not suitable for any power up grades re maps ect if thrashed they tend to break the shock absorbers in the clutches there is 2 in the gearbox if you want to drive hard look for a different car
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 22:18   #4
joetothphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
iv run a powershift for the last 8 years they are not quite as bad as kev says i would say they are not suitable for any power up grades re maps ect if thrashed they tend to break the shock absorbers in the clutches there is 2 in the gearbox if you want to drive hard look for a different car
Thanks Simmy, I am not a hard driver by ay means. The car is going to be a family car and used for the occasional trips into town and long road trips. I just wanted to make it as comfortable as possible and enjoyable to drive.
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 22:31   #5
Simmy
Premier Member

as kev says maintenance is the key a fluid change is over £200 with the filter intervals are every 50k there is a set procedure as this is a 2 compartment gearbox. get a good long test drive to observe any problems sutch as juddering on take off or bumping as coming to a stop if the car shows any of these things dont buy
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 22:56   #6
joetothphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
as kev says maintenance is the key a fluid change is over £200 with the filter intervals are every 50k there is a set procedure as this is a 2 compartment gearbox. get a good long test drive to observe any problems sutch as juddering on take off or bumping as coming to a stop if the car shows any of these things dont buy
Thanks Simmy, I will question the dealership about this and if there isn’t any record of servicing I will walk away. I will also take a long test drive.
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 23:19   #7
Simmy
Premier Member

there are lots of jap volvo importers on the web have a search and see what's available to keep your options open
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 11:35   #8
Enfield

Was it undersealed when it was imported? If not, I would be doing that before any tuning.
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 15:54   #9
joetothphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfield View Post
Was it undersealed when it was imported? If not, I would be doing that before any tuning.
Undersealing is top of my list. I’ve also managed to find a Geartronic model that is very similar to what was going to purchase. So thank you for the help.
The Following User Says Thank You to joetothphoto For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 18:10   #10
Simmy
Premier Member

dont put any under seal on .it traps water and causes more rust than it prevents use something like lanoguard or dinitrol far better than any black underseal 5h1t. all volvo cars come with the same under body protection they dont make inferior cars just for the jap market. lanoguard can be sprayed onto all under body parts not just the body

Last edited by Simmy; Apr 24th, 2024 at 18:47.