Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Petrol pours out the filler mechanism when full!

Views : 7421

Replies : 89

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2024, 18:53   #81
piorunz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
The second heat source for the car is the ICE so no other lower power heater to my knowledge. If the ICE is run at any stage then heat is present from the ICE running and that lasts a while until the coolant cools down if your HV heater is not working. With the heater selected to off, do a drive without getting the ICE to run to fully check the system correctly.

I generally leave my cabin temp set to 21 (or 22 if Im feeling really cold) and that always gets sufficient heat in for me to be nice and warm but I tend to leave the fan speed and vent choice in Auto mode so the Climate Control system changes it as its needed rather than playing with it myself, I just change the desired temp.
I will have good warmth coming through the vents into the cabin within a couple of mins of switching the car on (or activating preconditioning) with a fully warm cabin in 5-10 mins using just the HV Coolant Heater. Similar timings to having the ICE running.
Thanks!
From experience so far with my car, I know that 22 C setting in the cabin will not get it warm when driving on electric motor. My car may have underperforming or faulty additional heater.
Will test it again later with additional heater OFF and see if there is any difference.
Old Jan 28th, 2024, 11:54   #82
piorunz

So I had another drive on electric motor but with additional heater turned off. Result was no cabin heating whatsoever. After several minutes I turned heater back on and within a minute, with fan on higher speed pointed at my face, temp set to 25 C, I felt the heat.

So yeah, "additional heater" in the menu is the only source of heat in the cabin in electric mode, apart from seats/steering wheel if your car has it.

This concludes my testing. It's working.

Maybe software in your car is different or something, or temp sensor, which makes your car to heat faster and more aggressively on 22 C setting than mine. I have to crank to 25 C first to get heat, but I can live with that.
Old Jan 29th, 2024, 12:50   #83
V60 probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by piorunz View Post
So I had another drive on electric motor but with additional heater turned off. Result was no cabin heating whatsoever. After several minutes I turned heater back on and within a minute, with fan on higher speed pointed at my face, temp set to 25 C, I felt the heat.

So yeah, "additional heater" in the menu is the only source of heat in the cabin in electric mode, apart from seats/steering wheel if your car has it.

This concludes my testing. It's working.

Maybe software in your car is different or something, or temp sensor, which makes your car to heat faster and more aggressively on 22 C setting than mine. I have to crank to 25 C first to get heat, but I can live with that.
I have the fuel-fired auxiliary heater and I too find it quite weak if I'm driving on electric only. I leave the climate on auto (long press on the auto button) so the car chooses the fan level etc and I find the fan very rarely seems to run any higher than level three when using the aux heater. If I haven't pre-conditioned the cabin, it takes an age to warm up.

Prevously: 1992 440ti, 1997 S40 1.8, 2000 S80 2.4.
V60 probably is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 13:43   #84
P100HP

Well i thought that I could live with this issue until the next service was due, but putting fuel in the car is now a tedious process.

The pump starts clicking after 4/5 litres of fuel has been put in and keeps doing so until full. Also, when the pump is held at certain angles, fuel makes its way up the filler neck and pours out.

Called the garage and booked it in, next available date......19th March.

Hopefully they can resolve the matter this time and I will be requesting a Technician to come with me to put fuel in the car prior to leaving it with them.
P100HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 21:39   #85
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by P100HP View Post
Well i thought that I could live with this issue until the next service was due, but putting fuel in the car is now a tedious process.

The pump starts clicking after 4/5 litres of fuel has been put in and keeps doing so until full. Also, when the pump is held at certain angles, fuel makes its way up the filler neck and pours out.

Called the garage and booked it in, next available date......19th March.

Hopefully they can resolve the matter this time and I will be requesting a Technician to come with me to put fuel in the car prior to leaving it with them.
I feel your pain! Let us know how you get on.

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 13:25   #86
P100HP

A little update on my car (2022 V60 T6 Re-Charge).

The car went into the garage for a week in the middle of March, no resolution but I was asked to take the car back in for more investigation.

First fill up after collection was fine, thereafter it was back to its old ways clicking off after every few litres.

Fast forward to today, just picked the car up after the garage having it for a further week and a half and it is reportedly fixed. They pin pointed the issue to the fuel pump which was not regulating pressure in the tank and therefore causing the issues when refueling. Not exactly sure what was repaired or replaced but they seem satisfied that it is resolved.

Not filled up yet, but will give it a go this afternoon.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 13:50   #87
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by P100HP View Post
A little update on my car (2022 V60 T6 Re-Charge).

The car went into the garage for a week in the middle of March, no resolution but I was asked to take the car back in for more investigation.

First fill up after collection was fine, thereafter it was back to its old ways clicking off after every few litres.

Fast forward to today, just picked the car up after the garage having it for a further week and a half and it is reportedly fixed. They pin pointed the issue to the fuel pump which was not regulating pressure in the tank and therefore causing the issues when refueling. Not exactly sure what was repaired or replaced but they seem satisfied that it is resolved.

Not filled up yet, but will give it a go this afternoon.
Looking forward to hearing how the fill-up goes!

Maybe it's just my lack of understanding the system complexity, but why would the fuel pump be running when filling? I cannot think of any logical reason other than there may be an air relief valve either in the pump or further upstream so it circulates and vents as much fuel as possible before starting the car where the main HP pump then draws, but this seems unlikely.

Does anybody have any more info on this as I'm intrigued.

Old Apr 26th, 2024, 19:22   #88
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
Does anybody have any more info on this as I'm intrigued.
I read that it's something to do with the fuel system in a PHEV being 'sealed' to avoid (or slow down) petrol 'going off' because it would be theoretically possible for the fuel to be unused for weeks or months at a time.

From the manual:
Pressure equalisation of the fuel tank involves a certain delay in opening the flap. The message Preparing for refuel Fuel lid will be unlocked when ready appears in the driver display, and when the system is ready the message Ready for refueling appears in the driver display. If the internal combustion engine is switched on when the button is pressed, it is generally switched off and the car switches to electric mode.

After the fuel filler flap has been opened, refuelling must take place within about 15 minutes. After this, the valve that was opened by pressing the button to open the fuel filler cap is closed, and it is no longer possible to refuel because the pump nozzle cuts out.

If the valve is closed before refuelling is complete - press the button again and wait until the driver display shows the message Ready for refueling.

Last edited by Lexman8; Apr 26th, 2024 at 19:26.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2024, 07:02   #89
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
I read that it's something to do with the fuel system in a PHEV being 'sealed' to avoid (or slow down) petrol 'going off' because it would be theoretically possible for the fuel to be unused for weeks or months at a time.

From the manual:
Pressure equalisation of the fuel tank involves a certain delay in opening the flap. The message Preparing for refuel Fuel lid will be unlocked when ready appears in the driver display, and when the system is ready the message Ready for refueling appears in the driver display. If the internal combustion engine is switched on when the button is pressed, it is generally switched off and the car switches to electric mode.

After the fuel filler flap has been opened, refuelling must take place within about 15 minutes. After this, the valve that was opened by pressing the button to open the fuel filler cap is closed, and it is no longer possible to refuel because the pump nozzle cuts out.

If the valve is closed before refuelling is complete - press the button again and wait until the driver display shows the message Ready for refueling.
Hi @Lexman8,

The valve shut-off and time limit I get (although I have a 2020 T8 PHEV and have never seen these messages), it was more around what @P100HP had said about the fuel pump not regulating pressure in the tank. Unless it's miscommunication somewhere and it was indeed the shut-off valve at fault but I'll let @P100HP jump in here as I'm only guessing

Old May 2nd, 2024, 16:10   #90
P100HP

Well so far so good after x2 fill-ups after getting the car back.

All fuel delivered without the petrol pump cutting out until it is full and no spillage out of the nozzle.

With regards to the actual fault and repair, the garage didn't really go into any great detail and only advised what I have already posted so not sure on the exact details of it.

Hopefully they have logged this fault and repair in their database for any other garages working on cars with similar issues.