Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EML - starting problem

Views : 1025

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2013, 11:35   #11
scutyde
Retrofit master

If the camshaft pos sensor (CMP) is gone the car will not start. Cleaning it will not help sadly. Also clearing the codes might only work for a short period of time. Afaik the ECU counts the times the CMP is not functioning and after an amount of fails it will trigger the MIL and the car will not start.
To change it wait for the engine to cool down undo the two torx bolts (30 if I remember right) and swap the sensors.
scutyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 12:07   #12
malc-c
Master Member

The strange part is the car starts and runs... but obviously the EML remains lit due to the poor start experienced yesterday.

I'm presuming the issue was an intermittent fault, or a sign that the sensor is on its way out. I had a similar issue with both of my Rover 21x series. The 216 GTi ran fine for a couple of days after first experiencing a poor start... then gave out on me when I was 50mile from home on a Friday night - one costly recovery as I had no RAC cover. The 214 SEi did the same thing, but the complete failure happened outside the home - so the recovery was to a local garage which wasn't so bad and was under the home start policy - I just don't want to risk it with he Volvo, so will probably get a replacement part
Old May 6th, 2013, 18:58   #13
KBB
Master Tech

The car will start and run with a failed CMP. The CMP is used to calculate cylinder identification for sequential fuel injection. If the CMP Fails the system will default to a bank firing of all injectors at the same time once every engine full cycle (2 full rotations of the crank shaft).

Symptoms of a failed CMP are longer than normal cranking times (due to the loss of cylinder identification and bank firing).

The loss of the CKP sensor will give a no start as this controls the triggering of the ignition system.
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KBB For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2013, 19:32   #14
malc-c
Master Member

Many thanks for the explanation. I can't say for sure that the cranking time is any longer than normal, seems to fire first time. I guess if the system is firing all 5 injectors at the same time fuel economy will be reduced ?

I'll order the part from an approved Volvo garage and have a go at fitting it myself. How would I reset the EML once the part has been changed
Old May 7th, 2013, 11:57   #15
malc-c
Master Member

Just a little update. Spoke with the local Volvo main dealer and the price for a new sensor is £160, plus £60 for a diagnostics and reset of the ECU to clear the code. However he was very helpful and suggested I contact a local garage and have the code reset and see if the fault re-occurs, as this is standard practice. He also advised me that if there was a genuine fault with the sensor then the car would default to limp mode with restricted acceleration and speed limited to 40mph. As neither was evident he suggested that the fault is either intermittent or just a glitch which has now cleared.

Through a contact I popped down to a local garage and had the code confirmed and cleared. They can also supply a BOSH part (same as the part currently fitted) for £96 plus fitting, if the issue re-occurs and it's the same error code then we'll go ahead and replace the part.

So for now I'm just going to monitor the cars performance and see if the EML comes back on in the next week or so. I'll also carry my RAC documents with me just in case
Old May 7th, 2013, 17:23   #16
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Clearing codes using the LED reader:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46943
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 18:05   #17
malc-c
Master Member

Bookmarked
Old May 15th, 2013, 21:09   #18
malc-c
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc-c View Post

Through a contact I popped down to a local garage and had the code confirmed and cleared. They can also supply a BOSH part (same as the part currently fitted) for £96 plus fitting, if the issue re-occurs and it's the same error code then we'll go ahead and replace the part.
Well having parked the car and popped into Argos for 10 minutes, the car coughed again on starting and the EML lit up again. I checked the code and it was the same 314 code. Called the garage and made arrangements to have the sensor fitted.

Can't complain, the car is 14 years old this July and in the five years I've owned it this is the first "major" issue I've had other than replacing the ignition leads and disty cap at 100K miles which to a degree could be classed as a serviceable item.