Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 with a misty windshield...??

Views : 770

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2015, 22:54   #1
02Anders

Default C70 with a misty windshield...??

Good evening Gents,

I just picked up my C70 today, and with a bit more than 100 miles covered I'm already loving it! Soooo comfortable, soooo smooth and soooo powerful...

But.
One question:

Is it a common problem they struggle to de-mist the windshield? Does't really matter which setting I used on the A/C, and it just didn't really do the job.
Any help and/or advise would be much appreciated...

'99 Volvo C70 T5 GT
+ a handfull of classic BMW's...
02Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2015, 23:16   #2
kwk

Is the aircon actually working. I have always found them to clear in seconds if it is. Try replacing the pollen filter.
kwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 08:19   #3
GMC

Classic symptoms of a leaking heating matrix
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 09:18   #4
iamawookie
Potato!

^^^What he said!
iamawookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 09:32   #5
Luxobarge
Premier Member

As above, either leaking heater matrix or aircon not working, or the intake plenum is stuffed with rotten wet vegetation.

I'd start by taking the scuttle panel off (easy once you've removed the wiper arms) or at least lifting it up so you gan get in there, and giving it a thorough clean out in there. Then check inside the car for dampness in the footwells - check thoroughly, is the carpets have deep insulation under them that can absorb a lot of liquid before becoming obvious. If the matrix is leaking it isn't a particularly difficult job on these, unlike on some cars.

Aircon is easy to check. It's not working on mine, and I'm about to throw some money at getting it fixed, as the car's too hot in summer and a pain to de-mist in the winter, so I really want it working, I'm fed up with driving around with the fan on full blast whenever it's raining. As stated above, when it's working it generally demists in seconds, really effective.

HTH
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 13:04   #6
brickman
Premier Member

Luxobarge has pretty much covered it, but when replacing the pollen filter if its rancid (they often are, esp if parked under trees), clean out the inside of the box as far as you can reach with bleach (wear gloves) to kill any bacteria forming.

Could be your heater matrix, they are a known thing to fail, esp with cars that haven't had coolant replaced as often as they should.

You might find the heater matrix AND AC evaporator/condensor unit (whichever is the right term) both are covered in mould and debris. Happens with all cars, and they aren't a lot of money for the parts £10-20 for the matrix and £30-60 for the Ac part, but a solid 4-6 hours of labour to replace (on 850 cars you don't have to remove dashboard).

With the pollen filter removed, put the fan on max, fresh air and set to a medium temperature with all vents closed turn it to windscreen. It should be a fair amount of air, if its pathetic then likely your matrix and/or AC unit are clogged with debris.
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 20:54   #7
02Anders

WAUW!
Thx for all your quick and thorough answers. Much appreciated.
Now I know what I'll be doing as soon as I have a day free...

'99 Volvo C70 T5 GT
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 20:58   #8
kevvydude
Premier Member

30 min job for the matrix, when mine was replaced i used de-ionised water and anti freeze , so shud be good for a while

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
kevvydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 21:46   #9
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Aircon is easy to check. It's not working on mine, and I'm about to throw some money at getting it fixed, as the car's too hot in summer and a pain to de-mist in the winter, so I really want it working, I'm fed up with driving around with the fan on full blast whenever it's raining. As stated above, when it's working it generally demists in seconds, really effective.

HTH
As a point of interest, my car went in for the aircon to be fixed yesterday, the fault was both seals to the condensor leaking, one of them quite badly. Also changed the reciever-dryer while the system was empty - but the point is that it was p*ssing down on the way home, and yet now the screen was kept totally crystal clear the whole way, even with the controls set to "auto" which means that only the slightest trickle of air is fed to the screen. Not saying your fault isn't something else, just to underline that these cars do really work better with functioning aircon.

Cheers!
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 22:05   #10
02Anders

Thx Luxobarge, much appreciated.
I'm just extremely short of spare time right now, so I've booked my C70 in with a local garage on the 18th. I'll make sure to let the garage know everything you guys have told me here. Hopefully that'll help them sort it out quickly and cheaply...

'99 Volvo C70 T5 GT