Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70R Price Question

Views : 687

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2010, 22:03   #1
RGVChris

Thumbs up V70R Price Question

Hi all, new member here.. I've browsed the forums many times over the years and found it to be of great help with problems on mine and my families volvos (850 2.5 20V saloon, 04 V70 T5, 440 - that one was a wreck, 850 10V Estate, 244 DL before that a fair few of them..) Have finally got round to registering as I have a question to ask.

How much would you say is a fair price for potential private purchase of a 98 V70R with 139k miles, seemingly very well treated and immaculate? parkers says £1900 but seems a little low to me.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
RGVChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 09:43   #2
Jules_V70R

I just picked up an immaculate 98R with 155K at auction for £1000.

So £1900 seems about right privately judging by our prices up here in Scotland.
Jules_V70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 15:03   #3
keithC70

Well I'd say the price always depends on the condition it's in and how much work needs doing.

You can easily buy a car for £1900 and then find it needs cambelt, tensioner, idler, new discs, new pads, new brake fluid, spraying the front valance (they're very low on Rs and easily catch on the kerb), new headlights, new foglamps, new bushes on the wishbones (can't get them so have to fit whole wishbones) ....... and so the list carries on.

Even buying from a garage won't protect you from normal wear and tear items.

If someone has done all this (and more - I know because it's my car and I've done the work!!!) and has all the receipts, then you know it's going to last you.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT

In the end though you can only decide by looking and driving a number of cars to see what you think is the best value for you.

Good luck,

Keith
keithC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keithC70 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 23:15   #4
e2todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithC70 View Post
then find it needs cambelt, tensioner, idler, new discs, new pads, new brake fluid, spraying the front valance (they're very low on Rs and easily catch on the kerb), new headlights, new foglamps, new bushes on the wishbones (can't get them so have to fit whole wishbones) ....... and so the list carries on.
You just described my V70 purchase, only omitting the drivers window and headlight switches which also failed within the year; but forgot to mention front and rear strut tops, shocks and springs too!

Otherwise ~~Volvos are just fine but hey its fun to work on cars!
e2todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 19:35   #5
RF82
Trader

I think £1900 in pretty cheap for a V70 R personally. £1000 is a steal!

As mentioned before though, a lot comes down to the general condition of the car, and the service history. If a Volvo has been looked after, it should be relativly trouble free.
RF82 is offline   Reply With Quote