Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Awd useless. Waste of time. Why did i bother!

Views : 25564

Replies : 81

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 03:51   #41
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V50D View Post
I know this is probably not the best time of year to be commenting on this thread, but I can't recommend winter tyres highly enough.

I was a sceptic at first, but having owned many BMWs over the years I am quite used to the high powered rear wheel drive antics in the snow, but the fun soon wears off when you are trying to avoid having an accident on the way to work. So one year I opted for winter tyres and the difference was astonishing. I live on a no through road and there was a small layer of snow, may be an inch. With no one around me, I tired stabbing the breaks at about 20mph expecting it to slide, but it stopped almost instantly arrow straight, no lock up, no ABS.

You still need to drive cautiously but you have much less fear of getting stuck. Yes the extra expense of another set of rubber is a pain at first, but on he bright side it's years before you need to buy new tyres! Storage was my biggest issue as you want to protect them as much as you can when not using them. The rubber seems to go hard much quicker than an all season tyre.
Disagree. Fitted winter tyres last year to fwd. Drove like sh1t. Not worth the money. Stick to normal tyres.
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 08:46   #42
Munro83

Interesting thread this as we are planning on a xc60 next year. We run Goodyear vector 4seasons on the v70 and Clio van, I would put these on the xc60.
As for the awd issues some have had I guess that it's like any 4x4 etc- more to go wrong than a 2wd but it all depends on how well it's been looked after by previous owners. Simple things like uneven tyre wear level of tyres can eventually ruin diffs etc
It's a bit like engines- you can have a perfectly good engine but if someone runs it on cheap oil/wrong grade there is a chance the next owner(s) will be picking up the bill.
Munro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 20:47   #43
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I've banged-on in another thread about 'winters'. Brilliant things. All you'll ever need when the roads get cold and wet. Not jsut for snow.

Better than a 4x4 on snow with summer tyres, because if you think about it, and you'll see evidence of this, a 4x4 can't stop or steer any better. Winters is all you really need.

Should be a legal requirement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elP_34ltdWI
Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 22:46   #44
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
I've banged-on in another thread about 'winters'. Brilliant things. All you'll ever need when the roads get cold and wet. Not jsut for snow.

Better than a 4x4 on snow with summer tyres, because if you think about it, and you'll see evidence of this, a 4x4 can't stop or steer any better. Winters is all you really need.

Should be a legal requirement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elP_34ltdWI
Bang on

My brother had gravel rally tyres on his 140 in the worst snow on Anglesey I had ever seen. Grip was very good and he used it to pull out a few stuck/crashed cars
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 16:54   #45
GusGecko
from C30 to XC60

I went for the all season option...can't comment on snow use yet but so far so good.

GusGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 18:16   #46
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

My theory is winters "cook" too easily with fast driving and the make up of the rubber is irreversibly changed.
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 18:54   #47
olliemayo

I think the definition of summer tyres however varies hugely.

I had a Subaru Legacy Spec B some years ago, and I used to run it on Bridgestone Potenzas.

They wore well but in the wet they were hideous. Bear in mind this car was on 18 inch wheels which were not particularly wide.

When they wore out, I went cheaper and got a set of Toyo Proxes. Wet handling was transformed, in fact, grip generally improved but they didn't last as long in terms of mileage.

Rain, snow or heat of the summer, all handled with no bother. Never had a moment where I ever doubted the car.

For those who live in the highlands or the Pennines I can see the point of winter tyres, but I went through several snow days in my Subaru and the only thing that ever stopped me was traffic that was stuck and couldn't move on snow.

It is obvious that any Volvo on low profile rubber that is common fare on a hot hatch or German saloon is going to struggle regardless of whether it is AWD or not.

Personally I would prefer an AWD car in all situations. Firstly, punchy engines driving only the front wheels is not a good thing, and secondly, the stability and additional safety provided by AWD is worth the extra outlay in my book. Anyone living in a rural area would be better off having an AWD car if they can stretch to it if you ask me.

I've had a range of cars in my driving career and been lucky enough to drive a lot of serious metal extensively, the Subaru was by far the most accomplished in every day all season driving.

I think a lot of tyre manufacturers are now offering tyres that cater toward wider climatic conditions. Of course in the Nordic countries and on the continent winter tyres are now mandatory in most areas, but in Britain I don't think we get enough winter weather to warrant it. I'd rather spend the cash on some better tyres to start with, rather than some budget things from Bombay tyres inc. They stop better in the wet and you get more life from them as well. Also steering feel can be improved which is a valuable thing in itself as anyone with a passion for spirited driving will attest to.

Plenty of videos showing how AWD contributes to enhanced safety in all situations on youtube. It's not just for when it snows.
olliemayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 18:56   #48
olliemayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
My theory is winters "cook" too easily with fast driving and the make up of the rubber is irreversibly changed.
Being a different compound and with a peculiar tread pattern I would be concerned that steering feel would be eliminated which is not a nice thing to have to contend with. Look at all the BMWs with run flats. You might as well be steering with pieces of string.
olliemayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 20:49   #49
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Disagree. Fitted winter tyres last year to fwd. Drove like sh1t. Not worth the money. Stick to normal tyres.
In what conditions did winter tyres disappoint ? Looking at your location - Norwich - I suspect it was not snow. In the North Pennines, winters (or all-seasons) on FWD work very well. However, if you had problems on ice, for example, then any UK-legal tyre is going to let you down. For ice you need studs. In Sweden I experienced the local taxi drivers (with studs) driving on ice and snow as if the roads were completely normal. Quite scary to begin with until you realise they know exactly what they are doing.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 20:56   #50
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Well perhaps for true winters, but the all-season treads must be designed to run (also) in warmer conditions. I suspect the all-season rubber is probably a half-way house between true winter and summer, with the all-season also having the important sipes to grip the snow.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote