Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Awd useless. Waste of time. Why did i bother!

Views : 25567

Replies : 81

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2017, 19:09   #61
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by essexbloke View Post
So - I've been a bit busy working away and stuff so not using the Volvo as i had access to a company vehicle. When i started using it again we had even more woes..... So the long and the short of it is that the clutch suddenly started slipping dramatically. I booked it in and we're now lighter to the tune of yet another £1150 for a new clutch, dual mass flywheel etc. Whilst this was being done - the garage called to advised that my "2wd AWD" Volvo had a new clutch! They were confirming that it was only 2wd (fwd) and that during the clutch rebuild - they had noticed that the splines were completely stripped out. They're opinion was that it's really not worth replacing given the cost of parts etc. So it's official - This is quite literally the worst/most unreliable piece of cr*p i've ever owned! I bought into this brand thinking they were built like tanks and made to withstand whatever you threw at them when in truth It's expensive to buy, more expensive to repair, and tbh really not reliable... In the last 12 months this car has cost me over £2500 to rectify problems - and that's just to keep it running.... I wont be buying another... (and this was replacing a bl**dy Renault!) Rant over
Did they not give you the option of fitting new collars whilst the box was out ?

V70 P2 facelift D5 6sp manual E4 Sport SE Ocean Race Blue pearl (2005) 97k, standard.
SIAMBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2017, 23:22   #62
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIAMBLUE View Post
Did they not give you the option of fitting new collars whilst the box was out ?
The kit of parts is about £120....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 11:40   #63
anton differing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
As you infer it's not the AWD - it's the blurry wheels AND tyres.
Moreover, it appears that there are winter tyres and there are winter tyres. Here in Swizzieland, we all have winter tyres (they're not obligatory, as they are in parts of Germany, but have an accident in winter on summer tyres and you can expect the local constabulary and the insurance company to be somewhat less than understanding). We live on the top of a rather steep hill, but I expected the V40 (FWD) to eat it on Nokian winter tyres. But no - it really floundered, and at one point I thought I was going to have to abandon it. Our old Astra made much lighter of it. Mind you, the Astra had little 14" wheels, whereas the V40 has 17s - the wide wheels and tyres seem to present a problem in snow. When it comes time for new winter tyres, I'll pay attention to the annual test report of the TCS (Swizzieland's AA):

https://www.tcs.ch/de/testberichte-r...nterreifen.php
anton differing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 22:58   #64
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton differing View Post
Moreover, it appears that there are winter tyres and there are winter tyres. Here in Swizzieland, we all have winter tyres (they're not obligatory, as they are in parts of Germany, but have an accident in winter on summer tyres and you can expect the local constabulary and the insurance company to be somewhat less than understanding). We live on the top of a rather steep hill, but I expected the V40 (FWD) to eat it on Nokian winter tyres. But no - it really floundered, and at one point I thought I was going to have to abandon it. Our old Astra made much lighter of it. Mind you, the Astra had little 14" wheels, whereas the V40 has 17s - the wide wheels and tyres seem to present a problem in snow. When it comes time for new winter tyres, I'll pay attention to the annual test report of the TCS (Swizzieland's AA):

https://www.tcs.ch/de/testberichte-r...nterreifen.php
Couldn't read the report as I don't speaka de Swizzi but yes there are winter tyres and then there are winter tyres.

Some EU countries that mandate "winter" tyres at certain times of the year actually only ask for tyres with "M+S" (Mud and Snow) marking. This relates only to the tread pattern, and they aren't nearly as good in snow as winter tyres marked with the alpine snowflake symbol which pertains to the rubber compound make up.

As you have found out - in snow you are better off with narrow tyres rather than fat low profile jobs. I remember about 20 years ago weaving around stranded cars on the snowy M62 without a care in the world in a base model Fiat Uno Diesel - bit heavy diesel engine sat over 155 section tyres.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old May 7th, 2017, 11:41   #65
Gazdok
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Do your reading.... premium brand winter tyres out perform summer tyres in all circumstances except stopping distance in the dry at summer temperatures. Yes they do have a vague feeling caused by tread b....

And a haldex system with full traction control is more capable than a full time 4WD system which is prone to cross-axle. I've towed a stuck Defender (towing a horse box) off a muddy farm track with my "half cocked haldex" XC90 in the past.
The Haldex is normally not in the same league as a "full time AWD or 4x4" as they are designed for different situations. BUT some Haldex AWD cars - Volvo too - are let down by the car's traction control which reduces the engine power to almost null when it detects too much slip. Often in slippery conditions you need some slip on all 4 wheels to gain momentum. "Cross-axle" also happens with Haldex. There is plenty to lough at on Youtube.

Quote:
Moreover, it appears that there are winter tyres and there are winter tyres. Here in Swizzieland, we all have winter tyres (they're not obligatory, as they are in parts of Germany, but have an accident in winter on summer tyres .... We live on the top of a rather steep hill, but I expected the V40 (FWD) to eat it on Nokian winter tyres. But no - it really floundered, and at one point I thought I was going to have to abandon it. Our old Astra made much lighter of it. Mind you, the Astra had little 14" wheels, whereas the V40 has 17s - the wide wheels and tyres seem to present a problem in snow.
They are are not obligatory in Germany but you will be fined if you are caught causing an accident or obstruction, i.e. blocking the road because of the tyres.
A question about the V40. Was the problem the poor grip of the tyres, the traction control kicking in or the unloading of the driven axle? Turn the car round and reverse up the hill. Might work with more load on the drive wheels.
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 15:40   #66
anton differing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Couldn't read the report as I don't speaka de Swizzi but yes there are winter tyres and then there are winter tyres.
All you need to know is Empfehlenswert (recommended) and Sehr empfehlenswert (highly recommended)
Old May 7th, 2017, 15:44   #67
anton differing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdok View Post
They are are not obligatory in Germany
My understanding is that they are obligatory anywhere where snow and ice may be encountered. To quote one source of advice:

Is there an obligation to fit winter tyres in Germany?

The statutory provisions on the obligation to fit winter tyres In Germany were updated in 2010. There is now a so-called ‘situational winter tyre obligation’.

This means that the obligation to run a vehicle on winter tyres does not apply with reference to a particular date, but instead depends on the weather conditions.

The winter tyre obligation applies in winter conditions including ice and black ice, frost, snow and slush.

In such weather conditions only tyres which have the sign ‘M + S’ (mud and snow tyres) on the side wall may be used. Winter tyres and all-season tyres with this symbol are acceptable. Many of these tyres also display a symbol of a three-peaked mountain with an inset snow flake.

When should you fit winter tyres?

As the legal obligation to fit winter tyres in Germany is dependent on the weather, it can be difficult for drivers to know exactly when to change their tyres.

German lawyer Tatiana Orfanakou of WILDE BEUGER SOLMECKE offers some guidance: “As the weather conditions can change rapidly, I would advise to avoid problems of being caught out by fitting winter tyres from the 1st November until Easter.

Quote:
A question about the V40. Was the problem the poor grip of the tyres, the traction control kicking in or the unloading of the driven axle? Turn the car round and reverse up the hill. Might work with more load on the drive wheels.
I'd put it down to poor grip. Don't know if our V40 has a traction control (but I did discover a little illuminated icon that told me "your wheels are spinning" - as if I hadn't already noticed!) Hadn't thought of reversing - a rather long reverse!

Last edited by anton differing; May 7th, 2017 at 15:50.
The Following User Says Thank You to anton differing For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2017, 20:06   #68
Gazdok
Master Member

You are correct. It depends on the situation.
I have family in Germany and while they use winter tyres, some of their friends do not even in the deepest winter. Some leave the car when there is snow and ice on the roads and others still chance it and as long as you do not cause an accident or get caught because you are the rolling road block you are "safe". When the roads are clear in the winter you can drive with the summer tyres and do not have to fear prosecution even if you are stopped by german police. When there is snow on the road it is a bit like drink driving - try not to get stopped.
It is not like the sign you find at the bottom of some alpine roads and passes where either winter tyres or chains are compulsory.
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 17:46   #69
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdok View Post
Haldex AWD cars - Volvo too - are let down by the car's traction control which reduces the engine power to almost null when it detects too much slip. Often in slippery conditions you need some slip on all 4 wheels to gain momentum. "Cross-axle" also happens with Haldex. There is plenty to lough at on Youtube.
...which is why all AWD Volvos have a DTSC switch on the dashboard to disable "Spin Control" - i.e. the mechanism where the traction control system can reduce engine power if it detects spin. This is intended for viscous surfaces such as mud and sand.

With regard to Cross-Axle, on all AWD Volvo's you have full AWD traction control which will prevent cross-axle (i.e. the situation where one wheel on each axle will spin whilst the other is stationary). As full time 4WD is far less common these days, many cars on the road that have it are older and don't have traction control (most Defender, Discovery 1 etc.)
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old May 8th, 2017, 17:52   #70
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
My understanding is that they are obligatory anywhere where snow and ice may be encountered. To quote one source of advice:

Is there an obligation to fit winter tyres in Germany?

The statutory provisions on the obligation to fit winter tyres In Germany were updated in 2010. There is now a so-called ‘situational winter tyre obligation’.

This means that the obligation to run a vehicle on winter tyres does not apply with reference to a particular date, but instead depends on the weather conditions.

The winter tyre obligation applies in winter conditions including ice and black ice, frost, snow and slush.

In such weather conditions only tyres which have the sign ‘M + S’ (mud and snow tyres) on the side wall may be used. Winter tyres and all-season tyres with this symbol are acceptable. Many of these tyres also display a symbol of a three-peaked mountain with an inset snow flake.

When should you fit winter tyres?

As the legal obligation to fit winter tyres in Germany is dependent on the weather, it can be difficult for drivers to know exactly when to change their tyres.

German lawyer Tatiana Orfanakou of WILDE BEUGER SOLMECKE offers some guidance: “As the weather conditions can change rapidly, I would advise to avoid problems of being caught out by fitting winter tyres from the 1st November until Easter.

I'd put it down to poor grip. Don't know if our V40 has a traction control (but I did discover a little illuminated icon that told me "your wheels are spinning" - as if I hadn't already noticed!) Hadn't thought of reversing - a rather long reverse!
Agree with all that - point is that Germany regards winter tyres a simply those with M+S tread patterns. In the UK when we refer to winter tyres we generally mean those of a winter biased rubber compound that carry the Alpine Snowflake symbol. These are substantially better in snow and ice than M+S tyres with a normal rubber compound.

https://www.german-way.com/travel-an...inter-driving/

http://www.goodyear.eu/corporate_eme...ecognition.jsp

http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/equipment/what-does-ms-mean
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; May 8th, 2017 at 17:54.