Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Snapped Cam-belt Question

Views : 14189

Replies : 92

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2013, 17:16   #81
JohnL

I have to do a belt change on my 2003, is it really necessary to remove the crank pulley hub, can the belt be slid in behind this thus not needing the tool to hold the crank?
J
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 17:30   #82
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
I have to do a belt change on my 2003, is it really necessary to remove the crank pulley hub, can the belt be slid in behind this thus not needing the tool to hold the crank?
J
If you have a petrol engine you can slip it behind after removing the plastic crescent shaped guard plate .
However the D5 although basicly the same engine has a wider cambelt , i have been doing these for over 10 years now and i have to remove the crankshaft pulley ...
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 22:33   #83
stutgart69
Master Member

I agree with Clan.
Its simply not possible.
If you tried to squeeze it in you would be liable to kink the belt.
stutgart69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 16:50   #84
JohnL

I know you have to take the crank pulley off, but is it really essential to take the hub part of the crankshaft, in which case I will need to tool to hold the hub, to loosen the crankshaft bolt.
Is there a good place to buy that holding tool?
John
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 17:19   #85
stutgart69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
I know you have to take the crank pulley off, but is it really essential to take the hub part of the crankshaft, in which case I will need to tool to hold the hub, to loosen the crankshaft bolt.
Is there a good place to buy that holding tool?
John
I think you are getting confused John.
The big nut has to come off along with the small bolts to get the pulley off.
The hub doesn't come off .
I made the holding tool myself at my work.
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 11:56   #86
propane pete
propane pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutgart69 View Post
Here is a question for someone with previous experience of this sort of thing.

My Cam-belt snapped on my D5 just as I was starting to pull away from a roundabout .
Now, given that it happened at low speed ,what are the chances of there being no damage to the valves or pistons?

Should I put a new timing belt kit on and see if I can turn the engine manually
or not ?(At the cost of around £150). Or would I be as well to take the head off first to see what damage there is ? (Because if there is piston damage, the car is basically scrap).

Thanks in advance for any answers .
Had a problem starting my car after driving on motorway and parking on drive previous evening,called RAC out 1st.comment off patrolman battery flat,tried to booststart battery with power pack, then checked battery and connected jump leads from van,still not starting,then said starter motor.recovered to garage.Garage had vehicle for 4 days and then said not starter motor,timing belt had jumped notch?? and might have caused damage to engine.Further recovered to the garage who do all work on vehicle serving etc.who then found engine to be seized and valves bent,camshaft boss sheared off on end.How could this damage have happened after parking vehicle on my drive.Any suggestions would be most welcome,am trying to get evidence to take garage and RAC to small claims court.
propane pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to propane pete For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 16:09   #87
stutgart69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propane pete View Post
Had a problem starting my car after driving on motorway and parking on drive previous evening,called RAC out 1st.comment off patrolman battery flat,tried to booststart battery with power pack, then checked battery and connected jump leads from van,still not starting,then said starter motor.recovered to garage.Garage had vehicle for 4 days and then said not starter motor,timing belt had jumped notch?? and might have caused damage to engine.Further recovered to the garage who do all work on vehicle serving etc.who then found engine to be seized and valves bent,camshaft boss sheared off on end.How could this damage have happened after parking vehicle on my drive.Any suggestions would be most welcome,am trying to get evidence to take garage and RAC to small claims court.
My guess is that the timing must have jumped just as you were about to turn the engine off, or when you originally tried to start it the next morning.
Either way, the damage was done long before the RAC got to it .
The Following User Says Thank You to stutgart69 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 21:23   #88
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Out of interest, how long ago / how many miles ago was the belt changed? Was it genuine Volvo or an aftermarket belt? As previous reply suggests, it's likely the problem was already in progress by the time RAC arrived.

Last edited by Simon Jones; Nov 11th, 2013 at 21:26.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 19:03   #89
robbie3075

Default damaged 100% yes

sorry but 100% nailed on damage. i would say valves, valve guides, lifters. it will be costly to fix right. the head my even need to be machined. i.e new valve seats. i have seen them when they have taken the lot out cams inc. seen pison's marked bad but never smashed. just done the timing belt and water pump aux belt + all new pulleys and tensioner's for less than 200 inc anti freeze.
its much better than a new head. if you get that fixed for less than 1000 i will show my bum on the town hall steps lol.

sorry man

keep on top of the belt+ tensioner's its a MUST.

NEVER DO HALF A JOB I.E JUST BELT
robbie3075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 00:43   #90
Mr Wolf Is Innocen
petrol head in a DERV

just to Add to what Robbie has said, I have just had water pump changed (and thus new cam belt) the water pump is a £25 item, just do it with each cam belt.. for the sake of the cost, you might as well call it part of the cam belt kit! (I know I am about a month late on this)
Mr Wolf Is Innocen is offline   Reply With Quote