Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swirl Throttle Control Problem

Views : 12969

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2012, 20:03   #21
kenny37

With the strength of the motor even if the new bolt doesnt come off its likely to snap something else. try stoping the stepper motor when it moves, youve no chance. its definately a case of over engineered this time?
Old May 21st, 2012, 21:36   #22
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Too much force

Kenny is spot on.. you might restore the linkage but that motor drives it very hard in each direction metal vs plastic... hmm i think i know which one will snap first A simple stop with some rubber to cushion the landing is whats needed ...
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:56   #23
a993lad

Okay thanks for the further advice about the stop.

Actually I tried to fabricate one before but the existing screw into the motor that someone else used to secure the stop bracket is located differently on my car so I don't think it will be as easy.

I'll try and take some pics. At least then you can see the little bolt I've used.

The bolt has been in place for a few weeks now and so far it's holding up.

Marc
a993lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2013, 21:36   #24
S40Rob
S40 D5 R-Design

[QUOTE=a993lad;1147147]Hi guys,

They checked the fault code then took a look at the throttle and say that "the control link rod is adrift due to a broken connection point on the swhirl throttle".

Apparently this broken connection will cost £700 to fix (inc vat)! Gulp!

My S40 D5 has been repaired with this fix today - quioted cost was £797 but managed to get Volvo to contribute & ended up paying £462 but I have written to Volvo customer service to have a bit of a moan & will see what they say. I previously had the repair kit fitted in November but it still keep coming disconnected & this time the seal was also leaking oil where it connects.

It does seem to be common but the dealership said XC90's are the usual culprit has they have the heaviest engine load..

Rob - S40 R-design D5
S40Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 23:24   #25
izools

Quote:
Originally Posted by a993lad View Post
Apparently this broken connection will cost £700 to fix (inc vat)! Gulp!
Cost me a fiver to fix mine, using the same kit you did, although from the sounds of things it's only time until that fails, too.

The only time I can see it costing more is if the flap on the crank case has actually snapped to the point of not having any plastic to secure the arm to but I think that's quite rare.

Even if that is what's happened to yours I can envisage a Heath Robinson involving perhaps a self tapper and a small piece of aluminium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a993lad View Post
The bolt has been in place for a few weeks now and so far it's holding up.
Ahh good, you managed a similar Heath Robinson. Hope it holds up long term

Last edited by izools; Feb 28th, 2013 at 23:29.
izools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 20:53   #26
drnh

It's a total joke and something I will be writing to Volvo UK about.

Firstly this part is an obvious design fault. It SHOULD be made of metal and NOT plastic.

I was quoted over £1000 today to repair this on my C30 D5.

Luckily my dealer quote had the part number on for the connection bar which is £4. They told me this part was not available to buy?....could be crossed wires as to which part they meant but as I saw the photo of it on his screen, as a seperate part, I knew it was available on its own.

Anyway....ordered this bar, got the bar, moved my air intake pipes, fitted the bar...job done! Engine service light went out too car is perfect.....not that I noticed it not being perfect before mind you.

Now I'm seriously going to kick off with the dealer and Volvo UK as to why this small plastic bar was not looked at during this inspection. They GUESSED it wasn't actually the connecting bar. The quote is quite ridiculous when you look at it. Basically because there "may" have been a need to take the inlet manifold off, the fuel pipes, the glow plugs, a whole host of other parts, £250 worth of software downloads and god knows how much labour made a £4 piece of plastic into a £1000 bill!!

Had I been an older person they may well have panicked me causing me to spend £1000.

Totally and utterly out of order and Volvo, you should be utterly ashamed advising your dealers to replace so many totally unnecessary parts as the 'norm' for this fix. A fix which YOU have created the need for through a design fault.

Rant over.

If you get this issue on your car buy the small plastic bar. It's probably just the end that's worn. It's a 10 minute fix.

Last edited by drnh; Jul 5th, 2013 at 20:57.
drnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 01:09   #27
SteveOC

Following this with interest - just need to relate to the car to check mine.

Steve O.
SteveOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 22:33   #28
chrisdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
Kenny is spot on.. you might restore the linkage but that motor drives it very hard in each direction metal vs plastic... hmm i think i know which one will snap first A simple stop with some rubber to cushion the landing is whats needed ...
Just a thought guys, has anyone tried putting a resistor in series with the motors power feed? A five watt device of around 10 / 20 ohms may do it. This will current-limit the motor and reduce it's torque. I've done similar mods on electronic equipment to reduce the stress on plastic gears. As i said, just a thought.....
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 09:34   #29
Daz Newell

drnh....where abouts are you,am in Rochdale wondered if I could have a look as I need to sort mine out.
Cheers
Daz
Daz Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 19:36   #30
ilpaninaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmech View Post
a993lad, I tow with the rod disconnected and it seems fine to me. I have tied the swirl valves open to stop any engine messages. I believe this may mean less efficient combustion at low rpm/load but I am no expert.
I also understand that the Volvo fix involves removing the cylinder head to fit a modified shaft for the swirl valves, hence the price.

hello, I also have this problem ... "engine system required" .. how can I fix swirl valves open? Tanks!
ilpaninaro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ilpaninaro For This Useful Post: