Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Owners Club Motorsport Challenge 2010

Views : 8284

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2010, 15:21   #11
st5ve
S60 R

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndysR View Post
Is Ian's car manual or auto? Did well against the competition didn't you
Iain's car is a S70 R manual

Did well in the wet but in the dry didnt stand a chance, alot of the guys use 888's that with awd in the scoobies and evo's it is hard to get good times. Also had a fuel issue used Tesco 99 ron after the car had been used to V power.

Looking forward to doing Goodwood it's a while off yet but is by far my favourite track
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 17:50   #12
AndysR
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by st5ve View Post
Iain's car is a S70 R manual

Did well in the wet but in the dry didnt stand a chance, alot of the guys use 888's that with awd in the scoobies and evo's it is hard to get good times. Also had a fuel issue used Tesco 99 ron after the car had been used to V power.

Looking forward to doing Goodwood it's a while off yet but is by far my favourite track
Yeah the 888 are supposed to be a really good tyre in the dry, I guess the longer ratios of the autobox helped to reduce the wheel spin in the wet with yours although it's impressive that you could out time a manual, not tried the tesco 99 in mine as I've always used the v-power but if it caused a running issue with yours i'm not sure I will bother switching from the v-power to try it..
Old May 9th, 2010, 18:01   #13
IC
S60R/V70R

Here's my times from Monday:

Practice 1: 97.80
Practice 2: 96.22
Timed 1: 97.30
Timed 2: (wet): 101.65

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

IC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IC For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2010, 20:47   #14
st5ve
S60 R

Quote:
Yeah the 888 are supposed to be a really good tyre in the dry, I guess the longer ratios of the autobox helped to reduce the wheel spin in the wet with yours although it's impressive that you could out time a manual, not tried the tesco 99 in mine as I've always used the v-power but if it caused a running issue with yours i'm not sure I will bother switching from the v-power to try it..
The 888's are very good in the wet as well, they are a nightmare with standing water though. My auto will spin very easy in the dry never mind wet, I was only on half throttle coming off the start line in the vid and had to adjust twice to stop/cut down the wheel spin.
Old May 10th, 2010, 22:02   #15
AndysR
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by st5ve View Post
The 888's are very good in the wet as well, they are a nightmare with standing water though. My auto will spin very easy in the dry never mind wet, I was only on half throttle coming off the start line in the vid and had to adjust twice to stop/cut down the wheel spin.
Probably better to start off at half throttle from the mark as it puts less pressure on everything when attempting to get the car moving and as you say wheel spin is another issue.

What tyres are you running currently? I personally have just changed to Yokohama Parada spec 2's as per Kerry's advice and the grip levels are very impressive and help alot with wheel spining.
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:00   #16
mole

Well done Iain and Steve.

I have Yokohama Prada Spec 2 and R888's for my car, the Yokos are better than most other "normal" tyres I have tried just giving poor traction in the wet but always giving good feed back.They wear well and evenly only giving slight shoulder wear when used hard. The R888's give vastly more grip in all conditions except deep standing water, in the wet they still give more grip than branded normal tyres but you have to remember the wet to dry difference is far greater than the Yokos. In the wet when warm the R's will out perform the Yokos in the dry but it is very hard to get them to that level of heat. As a very rough guide from cold the R's give about the same traction in 2nd as the Yoko does in 3rd, braking distances can be reduced greatly also without any intervention of the ABS.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mole For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:16   #17
st5ve
S60 R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post

I have Yokohama Prada Spec 2 and R888's for my car, the Yokos are better than most other "normal" tyres I have tried just giving poor traction in the wet but always giving good feed back.They wear well and evenly only giving slight shoulder wear when used hard. The R888's give vastly more grip in all conditions except deep standing water, in the wet they still give more grip than branded normal tyres but you have to remember the wet to dry difference is far greater than the Yokos. In the wet when warm the R's will out perform the Yokos in the dry but it is very hard to get them to that level of heat. As a very rough guide from cold the R's give about the same traction in 2nd as the Yoko does in 3rd, braking distances can be reduced greatly also without any intervention of the ABS.
Thanks for the info, I do need to try the 888's and experience the diffrence as I run Hankooks at the mo, they tend to take a while to get warm and dont work as well as say the Avon ZZ3.

I will be getting new alloys soon that will be a bit wider than the 7.5j Volans and will go for the BBK kit to aid stopping.

I would like the car to rev a little better but their is only so far you can go with the auto's
Old May 17th, 2010, 13:42   #18
Georgey dee
Premier Member

Some great times there. I must try and get to one of these meetings and have a good look over the old girl if possible

When is Goodwood this time around??

Last edited by Georgey dee; May 17th, 2010 at 14:02.
Georgey dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 21:40   #19
AndysR
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post

That's very interesting I always thought the 888's would be poor in the wet. Might have to consider a set next tyre change
Old May 17th, 2010, 21:48   #20
IC
S60R/V70R

Quote:
That's very interesting I always thought the 888's would be poor in the wet. Might have to consider a set next tyre change
Andy, why don't you join us? You have the car and the mods - why not compete with us?

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

IC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mte, voc motorsport challenge