Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clunk from the passenger side rear

Views : 1154

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 21:16   #1
aarongs

Default Clunk from the passenger side rear

I am wondering if anyone can advise me on this.
My 1998 V70R AWD has developed a bit of a clunk. It happens when corning, either direction but I mainly notice it on right turns at low (under 20mph) speeds. It sounds like it comes from the passenger rear seat or boot area. Maybe the wheel arch area?
I hoped it was the loose exhaust heat shield but that has been secured (along with a new exhaust) but the noise it still there.
I had then hoped something loose was sliding about but I cannot find anything anywhere. I might remove everything from the spare wheel well to make sure its not that.
Are there any known drive train issues that make this sound?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Aaron.
aarongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 06:33   #2
amazondean
amazondean

I would have said it was classic for a front CV joint on its way out with the noise being transferred to the rear. But as its the AWD i fear it is to do with that. One thing you could do if you are struggling to locate the problem is to remove the prop shaft, as this can be done in an hour or so. (that is if it still has its prop shaft!). This would rule out a large portion of AWD problems, and may then be one of your rear drive shafts being the issue. As the AWD is so complicated, there are many parts it could be.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 00:23   #3
aarongs

Okay. Thanks for this.
It does still have the prop shaft and i have just discovered the centre bearing in really worn / knackered. Could that cause the clunk?
I will get that sorted so i guess whilst its out will see if the noise goes.
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 08:09   #4
amazondean
amazondean

Yes, take the prop shaft off. While the prop shaft is off, clean out the front universal joint on the prop of the old grease and re grease it. This joint is close to the exhaust and dries out, causing premature failure. Also empty the oil for the angled gear and change it. You might find there isn't much oil in there anyway. Take the car for a drive and see if there is any difference!
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 09:54   #5
aarongs

Cool. thanks again. Sadly I will have to get the garage to do that as Long Covid has ruined my ability to do my work and maintain the cars myself.

Fingers crossed.

Hoping I can get the prop centre bearing sorted too.
The Following User Says Thank You to aarongs For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 13:05   #6
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Aaron

I am going through a similar process on a 1998 AWD of my own (not an R).

The propshaft is easy to remove (2 bolts that hold the centre bearing to a cross support plate) and 6 allen or torx bolts that attach the cv joints at the front and the rear, so shouldn't take them long. I think removal is easiest if the cross support is removed.

Presumably you would get the car back after they have removed the propshaft, while they get parts etc.

There are two variations of centre bearing, with a different spacing between the 2 bolt holes.

What can be more of a problem is dismantling the propshaft to allow fitting a new centre bearing. I think, but am not sure, that some propshafts which have circlips on the centre cardan/spicer/hardy joint are easier to dismantle than the propshafts (possibly aftermarket or replacement units) that don't use circlips.

While you are at it, it would a good time to inspect and at least regrease the front and rear CV joints and check boots.

Please let us know how it goes. I would be very interested to know of companies that can rebuild or supply replacement propshafts for our cars.

I also want to know about replacing/rebuilding the rear drive axles.

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 15:44   #7
SteveSarre
Premier Member

This place seems to know their stuff. They have many of the bits and even complete driveshafts

https://www.driveshaftparts.co.uk/in...product_id=627

Obviously you would have to check for your specific car.

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 19:34   #8
aarongs

Thanks Steve. I will have a look. I spoke to this place
I was pointed in their direction by someone who had their prop repaired by them.
They said its a matter of getting the prop or pics to them to see if it can be done. Some split apart and others dont he said. I have read the same on line but cannot work out which props can be fixed easily, if there is a time point they changed etc. They also said just because you can buy centre bearing does not mean it can be fixed

Its going into the garage for a look in 10 days. Hopefully suss out the clunk and what to do with bearing and they plan from there. Wish i could get it sorted sooner.
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 20:04   #9
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

As the Op is based in Edinburgh the Scottish one mentioned is probably handy if your that far North of the border.
For anyone else or someone down South,Bar propshafts Neath is one to consider.
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rudi dudi For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 16:28   #10
richmac

Hi Aaron,

Check your rear delta arm bushes. These make a very similar noise to your description when they wear/go.

Best regards,

Rich.
richmac is offline   Reply With Quote